cervical swelling and prodromal labour - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having prodromal labour for days and days now. last night the baby dropped LOW into my birth canal. like really low (I can feel the noggin when I check myself).

anyhow b/c of all the pressure I have some decent cervical swelling. I'm not dilated much... but swollen all around my cervicx and vagina and it's pretty uncomfortable. I'm not worried about it medically - all seems well, just very uncomfortable. never had this before, and as a doula I've only seen it happen in hospital clients pumped full of IV fluids and pit and then purple pushing... but I've never seen it just from prodromal labour and a low baby. (lucky me!)

any ideas on how to be a little more comfy? or should I just deal with it, as it's part of the package of prodromal labour?

figured I would ask in the off chance that someone had some great advice to ease the discomfort or something

TIA

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#2 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

really? nobody?

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#3 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 AM

I'd only suggest that you stay off your feet as much as possible, and possibly do some 'anti-gravity' positions, like knee chest, periodically. This will reduce the pressure--and if baby needs some wiggle room for positioning, it could provide that.

good luck!
#4 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 AM

i had prodromal labor with my last for a week. it is exhausting!!!! i don't really have any advice. i'd probably stay off my feet as much as possible, nap as much as possible and be taking a lot of baths/showers b/c they are yummy!
#5 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Swimming worked for me.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM

Hmmm... I'm curious to see what others say as I had 2 weeks of prodromal labor last time and I am expecting it this time again. I wonder if it's your cervix specifically that's swollen or if it's just all the tissues in the area, which could definitely happen from having a low baby as the blood returning to your heart is slowed down a bit so the fluid/plasma moves into the surrounding tissue (instead of in your veins). Try swimming, drinking loads of water, and resting in positions that take the pressure off.

Hope you're holding that sweet little one soon! :

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#7 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

no it's everything vaginal that is swollen. but after staying off my feet over night it did get better. now it's just normal swollen if that makes sense. it was VERY painful last night... and it's a bit better today. I think I will try to stay off of my feet more if I can. but I am going crazy sitting in this house!!

#8 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM

Do you have any varicose veins in your vulva/vagina? I have one, and after a long day it swells up and hurts a lot.

I bet you are going crazy inside... your babe will be here so soon! for you, mama!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#9 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Cornsilk tea is a very mild diuretic that can help rebalance fluids. I swelled alot during my second pregnancy and found it helped. If you cannot find any cornsilk tea, dandellion root is also good for swelling.

#10 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Black Orchid,

I have been taking dandelion root every day since getting pregnant. it does help with general edema, but not with the vaginal swelling of the last couple days.

Blissful - you know, I think I might but I am finding it very hard to see!! I just went out a bought a handheld mirror so maybe I can see. I never had them before, but I was wondering if I do now b/c it's just very sore in that area right now, and it never has been before. almost like a burning feeling. would it feel like that? I'm going to go look and see if I can tell by sight.

#11 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM

could you have a YI?

You might consider trying the corn silk tea... it works differently than the dandilion root.

Also, are you taking Calcium-Magnesium? I found that increasing my Cal-Mag supplements in the third trimester helped with swelling.

It could also just all go away once you're active and baby is passed the 0 position. It could be the result of everything being sort-of inbetween, YK? I know exactly what you are describing... the majority of my clients are hospital births and get IVs and it amazes me how the fluid collects.

All the best to you! I can't wait to read your birth story!

#12 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM

How about homeopathic arnica.
Im not sure when its ok to take during pregnancy, but its recommended during labor/pushing to prevent cervical swelling...
May be something to check into?

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#13 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeAMamaMia View Post
How about homeopathic arnica.
Im not sure when its ok to take during pregnancy, but its recommended during labor/pushing to prevent cervical swelling...
May be something to check into?
i just took some right before i saw your thread!

... just trying to figure out *how* much and how often to take it. I'm not very versed in homeopathics... I'm more an herb girl myself.

any ideas?

#14 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

update: I bought some primrose oil to help with the swelling... but now I just looked with a mirror and I DO see a bulging/protruding blue veiny area right where that burning swollen feeling is centered. ouch!! will the primrose agitate it or sooth it? I'm scared to try b/c if it makes it worse... well... ouch!!

#15 of 68 Old 04-01-2009, 11:37 PM

hmmmmmm, does it say how much to take on the bottle?? i would go by that. But make sure its ok for taking in pregnancy.. For some reason my brain is thinking that its only supposed to be used during labor??? I dont know!! So i would double check if i were you

I don't know about the Primrose oil, sorry!!!!

#16 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 AM

Lots of sympathy! I've done the prodromal thing for weeks and weeks with each of my pregnancies. It gets old fast. I hope it's done for you soon! One thing that might help is have your DH put a sling or a sheet under your tummy while you are on hands and knees, and then he lifts... OMG that feels so good. Might help with the pressure. Left side lies might help too and def swim.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#17 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 AM

I had a lot of the swelling, like my insides of my vagina pushing out and being irritated by the underwear. And I attribute it to my twin pregnancy with tons of extra pressure. Only thing that helped at that point was sidy-lying and staying off my feet. Extra fluids to help circulation.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#18 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the great advice (and sympathy!) it surely does get sorta better when I lie down (esp on the left side). but wow... I have two other kids I homeschool. since I've been on bedrest for more than half of this pregnancy already, I am going crazy! I SO wish I could afford childcare, a cook and a cleaning lady this week!

so right now I'm up doing some dishes because contrary to what they do try to convince you of... the dishes don't do themselves. they really don't. and some laundry (b/c I have yet to figure out how to dry off with socks and I'm the weird kind that prefers not to sit around in dirty undies for days in a row.

I will be the happiest woman in all of MDC when I have this baby. seriously. I will doing backflips! I'm just thankful I have a husband that works like 50% of the time from home - if nothing else for moral support!

#19 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 PM

Too bad that a lot of mama discomforts require rest, huh? It's sort of like cruel irony....

The EPO shouldn't affect the varicose vein either way, I wouldn't think. Gently rubbing some Vitamin E oil might, though. If you do this while lying down on your right side it might help to get some of the collected blood back in your circulation. Unfortunately, though, it will likely be uncomfortable until baby is born!

And I will do a backflip for you when this LO is born too!

#20 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Sometimes you can get some relief from tying a piece of wide stretchy fabric around your hips after lifting the baby/belly up a little bit -- takes some of the pressure off. I use a moby wrap even though it is way too long. 2 or 3 ace bandages sewn together at the long edges would work too.

You can also do compresses of witch hazel on the veins. That helps too.

Hope you feel better soon!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#21 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

thanks,

the EPO I used has vitamin E. I took some by mouth and put some internally. I can't tell but I think it may have helped a wee bit. (of course this was last night... I need to do it again today)

I tried using a rebozo to hold up my belly but it didn't seem to do anything but making me feel like enternal organs were being crushed and worsened my reflux/pukey feeling. I've had ENOUGH puking for one pregnancy lol... so I gave up on that idea fo the time being.

#22 of 68 Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 PM

when I do arnica (postpartum or general health) I use 5 pastiles three times a day.

Have you had HBP or do you have a history of it? It can slightly raise your BP.

#23 of 68 Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
when I do arnica (postpartum or general health) I use 5 pastiles three times a day.

Have you had HBP or do you have a history of it? It can slightly raise your BP.
nope no HBP. I had it in my first pregnancy but I take a lot better care of myself now. but still, good to know!

thanks! I just don't know a lot about homeopathics... like I said, I'm an herb/tincture/tea kinda gal.

#24 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 PM

How are you doing? I'm never online on the weekend, but I checked in because I was thinking of you! Hope you are doing better and something on this thread worked for you.

#25 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 PM

Yes. I was wondering how you are doing, as well.
I wanted to remind you, if you didn't know, that mint oils will counteract the homeopathics. Even toothpaste.
FYI

#26 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for thinking of me mamas!

I'm STILL in off an on labour. I've had TWO nights now of 8-10 hrs of rather painful contractions. 2-10 minutes apart. they started off after we umm... "DTD" at 2-3 mins apart for about 4 hrs... then dwindled to 3-7 minutes and then to about 10-20 minutes. eventually I was back to just on and off intense contractions mixed with TONS of BH contractions through out the day.

the swelling seemed to be stemming mostly from a varicose vein inside... but the evening primrose oil helped that A LOT. it's so much less inflamed... which is nice. b/c having a stinging burning crotch on top of contractions and pressure was making me completely nuts! it REALLY hurt a lot. it made the contractions seem like nothing.

baby is super low still... I can hardly walk... I'm contracting a lot... but it's not doing much. if it weren't for the back and forth prodromal labour, I wouldn't be so anxious... but this is getting old! it's been 3 weeks!!! I'm TIRED! so I'm thinking of what I can do to encourage labour now...

I went through the same exact labour last baby. and i figured this one would be easier.. Baby is definitely not OP... b/c I can feel it's back, and feel it's head in my pelvis. I got a pelvic adjustment, just to make sure I wasn't torqued in some weirdo way, but it didn't do anything. I'm just not sure what the hang up is all about! everyone I know who has had this long a prodromal labour has had an OP or breech baby...but that isn't my case..

#27 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

p.s. don't worry... I HATE mint anything

I use fennel toothpaste, would that matter?

#28 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
wbg

Thinking of you...

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#29 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbg View Post

Thinking of you...
thank you

I probably sound so pathetic, don't I!? ack. I'm just worn out big time. it's been a very very difficult pregnancy and the constant feeling that I might be going into labour now, and then NOT... well it's discouraging me a lot.

I'm an experienced doula and a 3rd time birthing mama... and I *should* know better. but it's gotten to me. I admit. I'm wearing thing.

#30 of 68 Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 PM

I think fennel toothpaste is ok?

YOu absolutely don't sound pathetic! I think the reason we are all wondering how you are doing is because we know how difficult that must be!!

I thihnk you are a major trooper. Soon enough you will be holding your sweet baby!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page