What does a high leukocyte count indicate? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 24 weeks and am doing an UP/UC. I've been doing a urinanalysis strips every four weeks, and on the one I did today my leukocytes were sky high. (For those familiar with the strips, it was kind of a dappled light purple... so the count fell probably somewhere between the 75 and 500 marks.)

What does this mean? I have no idea what a leukocyte even is and am attempting to google it at the moment, but thought I'd most here as well since you all are so awesome.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It *can* mean that you have a UTI. However, it can also mean that you may have gotten some vaginal secretion in the sample. Do the test again tomorrow morning and see what you get. If it's still in the speckle area, then you probably have some sort of infection.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Leukocytes are white blood cells--immune system signal in the urine. Many women 'normally' spill some leukocytes during pregnancy, if you are not symptomatic then I'd not worry--unless you are someone who does get UTIs regularly. If so, then you probably should follow up on leukocytes.

Do the dip again if you're concerned--first, make sure you are well hydrated (no need to be ridiculous about drinking something--just be sure you're not dehydrated when doing the test), then wash your southern regions before peeing (even just with some squirts of water from a peri bottle). Be sure to part the hair and lips before you pee. Also, if you didn't do this before, get a midstream catch in a cup, rather than just peeing on the stick: start peeing, after a second or two put the cup in the stream to gather a bit of pee, then pull the cup away while still peeing. These steps can give you a more accurate reading.

But urine dipping is actually going out of style, even with the medicos. I don't use them anymore in my practice--too many false pos and other potential for mistakes/unreliability.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:15 PM

Yep, what they said. Mine was high at my last appointment and my MW said it can be normal or sign of a UTI. Since I've never had a UTI and I'm kind of freaked out by thought of one now I'm taking some cranberry extract pills as a precautionary measure. It was high once with my dd's pregnancy too and that time it was just from coming in contact with my vaginal secretions.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

I did another urinalysis strip the following morning (taking more care in obtaining a clean catch this time) and everything came up normal. Thanks for the advice, gals!

User Tag List