Attempted UC of Xander Alden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From my blog, written for a different audience:

Xander Alden was born at 2:24am on Sunday, March 29th. He was 6 pounds 5 ounces and 19 inches long (there was some confusion over this, but his chart finally cleared that up). Two hours after my water broke, active labor kicked in. The first two hours I was somewhat in doubt that it was really happening and from there on out, things went very fast and got so very intense. It was only 10 hours from the first contraction to birth, a bit fast for a first labor.

I started involuntarily pushing at 7cm and started to get that feeling that unless I was completely wrong about what full dilation feels like, things were about to get rough. I fought the urge to push as much as I possibly could (I'm sure the neighbors loved the noise) but by the time I hit 9.5cm, I felt that my cervix was too swollen and I couldn't feel Xander making any downward progress after trying my best to push past the lip. By then, Joe was getting panicked and I was in a lot of pain and having trouble focusing on making pushing effective so we made the decision to transfer to Mercy Hospital. I tried the best I could, but the truth was that I was unprepared for how fast and intense labor was and got scared. I absolutely do not regret attempting an unassisted birth.

The ride to the hospital was agonizing and by the time we got there, I could barely stand, let alone walk through the contractions. Somehow we made it up to labor and delivery (why did that have to be the top floor?), I screamed personal information at the intake nurse inbetween contractions and involuntary pushing and was wheeled into a delivery suite. After some blood work and a hep lock, the OB made his way in (he told me later that his speciality is actually pelvic surgery, good thing I showed up right at the end of labor and not the beginning, can't imagine what his c-section rate is). I was offered the option of an epidural....yeah....at 9.5cm. Of course I said "hell yes!" knowing full well that there was no way I was going to get one, it was purely psychological. A cervical check concluded that I was indeed at the very edge of full dilation but had a swollen anterior lip preventing baby's head from entering the birth canal. With some rough handling, the OB pushed the edge of my cervix over baby's head. From that point on, his fingers did not leave my vagina which increased the pain to blinding levels. Pushing while flat on my back inbetween arguing with nurses and the OB didn't really help matters either. Eventually, I got Xander's head past my pelvic bone and all that was left to do was push him out. This is where it got really ugly between me and the OB. His fingers were still in my vagina even though they did not need to be and no amount of protest from me got them out. As the head began to crown (let me remind you that I'm still flat on my back and now pushing against gravity), the OB said the word "cut" and I knew he was reaching for the scissors to preform an episiotomy. He actually had the gall to tell me that there was no possible way that Xander's head was going to fit through my vaginal opening. So as my baby's head is crowning, I'm having a screaming match with the OB about my right to choose tearing over being cut. He of course threatens that I'm going to wind up with a 4th degree tear straight into my rectum, incontinence, inablility to have more kids, etc. When I demanded the liability release form, he realized I was dead serious about not being cut and agreed to "let" me continue pushing (again, his fingers are STILL in my vagina). I did indeed manage to push my baby's head out through the opening that was supposed to be too small, even with fingers (with another now jammed up my rectum) in the way and of course I tore into my perinium and labia, both second degree.

Xander came out pink and crying, blowing away the OB's "blue baby" claim. Apgars of 9 and 8 despite being pulled out once his head had been birthed and imediate cord clamping. The OB claimed they would put the cord blood into him down in the nursery, I could've kicked his face in just for that load of bullshit, but it happened before I had a chance to argue. He's obviously a bit jaundiced, but I'm glad he's such a hardy little guy. Because I had a slight temperature, he was whisked off to the nursery without my having a chance to hold him first. Joe stayed with him the whole time to make sure nothing was done without our consent. This is about when I heard the word "Cytotec" and again had to start fighting with the OB.

He didn't want to give me a chance to deliver the placenta on my own and started applying traction. I yelled at him to give me a chance to deliver it myself and did so very quickly, no Cytotec or traction necessary. I asked if I would be able to take it home with me and was pleasantly suprised when a nurse answered yes. After 2 hours of being stitched up, it was time to go down to recovery. The first time I tried to get up, my blood pressure plummeted to 50/30. Luckily, I didn't fall and a bag of fluids and some oxygen got me right back on my feet and down to recovery.

I had a few hours before the nursery finished doing their tests on Xander (I wasn't in good enough shape to go down to see him) so I caught some sleep. Joe came in with our little boy just as the sun was rising at which point I cried tears of joy at finally getting to hold and feed my son.

I'm disappointed I didn't get the gentle birth I had wanted for him and am a bit worried about the long-term emotional effects the birth will have on me when it all starts to sink in. We're still happily babymooning and my gorgeous little boy is keeping my mind in a good place right now. Thankfully, we still managed to avoid almost all of the standard newborn procedures and are doing well at home. I am so in love with him.
#2 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM

Oh he is beautiful!

Congrats mama!

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#3 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 06:03 PM

oh my gosh, wow

he is adorable, though, what a beautiful pic! CONGRATS!!
#4 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 PM

Wow--a little shaken up reading this--this seriously was almost EXACTLY my birth story with my first. I had a long, slow labor, though, and was exhausted and went in at 9.5 with a stubborn lip. Lots of screaming to push, pain, flat on my back, supposed need for episiotomy. I wasn't as insistent as you, though, and ended up with a huge episiotomy which extended badly. That was the worst part about the entire thing.

You are so strong, mama! Congratulations! BTW, after that hospital experience with my first, I have had two UCs since then.
#5 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Sorry you had a rough time of it. Good job standing your ground and congrats on your new babe!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#6 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 PM

I'm sorry things didnt' go like you would have wanted them to ... but... your baby is absolutely beautiful, and you must know that when/if you need to talk about the birth experience and process it, most of us have had at least one traumatic experience and can relate.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#7 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 06:56 PM

Congratulations! : Your baby is beautiful. It was rough to read, but man, you are AWESOME! Good for you for literally fighting to birth your baby!
#8 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 07:45 PM

Excellent use of your own VOICE mama. I wish more women were as informed and able to do what you did in a tough situation. WELL DONE!

AS for the rest ... don't hesitate to talk it out!

Congratulations on the birth of your precious babe ....

tireless sewer of teeny little clothes for Bamboletta dolls ...

#9 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=saharasky;13492523]Excellent use of your own VOICE mama. I wish more women were as informed and able to do what you did in a tough situation. WELL DONE! QUOTE]

And the picture of the both of you, all aglow, is one of the most beautiful and endearing I've ever seen.

Congrats mama.....and happy babymooning~~
#10 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm so sorry your birth ended up like that. I'd be tempted to at least *try* to charge the doctor with sexual assault for not getting his hands out of you. At the very least, when you're up to it, you should file a complaint against him. & congratulations on your new little one.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#11 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 10:29 PM

way to go mama for standing your ground - I hope that should I be in a similar situation I have the strength that you showed.

Congrats on your beautiful baby boy! Enjoy your babymoon!

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#12 of 37 Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 PM

You are strong and brave mama, that story is a lot to take in.

Congratulations....your little one is precious!! YOU'RE A MOTHER!!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!! :::

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

#13 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustacherri View Post
Wow--a little shaken up reading this--this seriously was almost EXACTLY my birth story with my first. I had a long, slow labor, though, and was exhausted and went in at 9.5 with a stubborn lip. Lots of screaming to push, pain, flat on my back, supposed need for episiotomy. I wasn't as insistent as you, though, and ended up with a huge episiotomy which extended badly. That was the worst part about the entire thing.

You are so strong, mama! Congratulations! BTW, after that hospital experience with my first, I have had two UCs since then.
OMG yes! The tears and stitches are so painful and I can't wait until my vagina starts feeling like a vagina again. It doesn't help that the labial tear went straight in towards my urethra, I had to have a catheter inserted so they didn't accidentally sew it shut I don't have a doubt in my mind though that the tears wouldn't have been nearly as bad if there hadn't been fingers "assisting" a crowning head, maybe I wouldn't have torn at all.

I do definitely understand giving in during the heat of the moment though, we both wound up with IV ABX and my scared DH discouraged me from fighting the lumbar puncture on our little boy I do wish I'd prepped DH sooner, I'd been planning to do so that very weekend so that everything would be fresh in his mind and I wouldn't have to fight nearly as hard if we did wind up transfering (and he might've been more supportive during labor). *sigh* Hindsight....

Thank you for sharing everyone, it means a lot to me to know that you all understand exactly where I'm coming from

Oh...and I did kick the intake nurse when she tried to do a cervical check in the middle of a contraction (I plead the reflex defense), score one for ALL of us
#14 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy! I'm sorry you had to go through all of that to get him here.
#15 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 03:41 PM

omg whaT an ORDEAL to have to go through with thatOB your baby is beautifil :

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#16 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM

Please post this in FYT. And some of us would privately like to know this OB's name through PM.

hh2.gif

#17 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
wbg

What a beautiful baby. Congrats Mama. He is going to bring you many amazing moments! What a birthing journey you had. You shared with us both the more magical and organic moments and the more harrowing and scarier aspects and I thank you for your honesty. You did a fantastic job of laboring your baby out and into the world and an even more amazing job of advocating for yourself and your baby at what is one of the most intense times to be able to do that. Well done Mama.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#18 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 05:18 PM

Wow, that doc shows an awesome understanding of informed consent. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I'm so glad for your new baby and that you are so happy with your accomplishment in bringing him into the world. I love his name too! He's got an awesome mama who knows how to fight for him!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#19 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Gosh, what a story. I read it to my husband and we had a thorough discussion about doctors yet again. Ugh.

I am so glad you guys are okay after the trauma. Happy Babymoon!

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#20 of 37 Old 04-04-2009, 10:19 PM

congratulations on the baby!!!!

it seems like you had a rough night, mama! I hope you are able to snuggle in with that big bundle of joy and have a wonderful babymoon, even if the birthing experience wasn't exactly what you had been expecting.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#21 of 37 Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 AM

And WHY was his finger in your rectum?! What was his reasoning for that?

hh2.gif

#22 of 37 Old 04-05-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Um ya?!! I had dh read your story and he is absolutely baffled by this!!!!!!!!! :
#23 of 37 Old 04-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:

My only thought was maybe to addsome counter pressure...press on the inside of the vaginal canal pushes that area into the rectal area, so you press on the rectal area to encourage it to stretch as well...NOT SAYING HE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS - He shouldnt have at all, and it was wrong - but maybe that was his thinking...?

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#24 of 37 Old 04-05-2009, 02:35 PM

Congratulations! Our children share the same birthday : I am so sorry your birth went the way it did. I hope filing a complaint against him will affect other women's births in a positive way. What he did to you was horrendous!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#25 of 37 Old 04-05-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Believe it or not, to "help" push DS's head up and out and yeah, it HURT (and still does, I really hope nothing is torn). DH was scared and believing the OB that my skin couldn't possibly stretch to accomodate a baby's head and was begging me to consent to the episiotomy. So when the OB offered to "try" some things, I consented...if I knew that was what he had in mind I would have insisted on pushing longer :
#26 of 37 Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondimpression View Post
Believe it or not, to "help" push DS's head up and out and yeah, it HURT (and still does, I really hope nothing is torn). DH was scared and believing the OB that my skin couldn't possibly stretch to accomodate a baby's head and was begging me to consent to the episiotomy. So when the OB offered to "try" some things, I consented...if I knew that was what he had in mind I would have insisted on pushing longer :
#27 of 37 Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
My only thought was maybe to addsome counter pressure...press on the inside of the vaginal canal pushes that area into the rectal area, so you press on the rectal area to encourage it to stretch as well...NOT SAYING HE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS - He shouldnt have at all, and it was wrong - but maybe that was his thinking...?
yup, that is one technique used to help "aid a baby out of a tight area".

not saying i agree with him doing that (I don't) but it is done in hospitals sometimes. (maybe homebirth,s I don't know... never seen it done in one)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#28 of 37 Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 AM

Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy :, he is beautiful.

Well done for managing to get so much across while in that situation.

I was reading your story shouting "KICK HIM IN THE HEAD!!" its just wrong him keeping his fingers inside you.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#29 of 37 Old 04-06-2009, 12:11 PM

Congratulations Mama!! : :

You are such a strong and powerful woman.

Take your time to heal the birth, emotionally and physically. Sounds like it was very difficult. I love that we have a safe place here to get mad and feel safe about it.

Be gentle on yourself.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#30 of 37 Old 04-06-2009, 04:57 PM

What a beautiful baby and mama pair. Thank you for sharing the photo.

I'm sorry the hospital and OB sucked so much. And people wonder why women don't want to give birth with a doctor or in a hospital. Ugh. It makes me so angry. Birth should be warm, respectful, and gentle.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page