VBAC UC herbs for "helping things along" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok so I'm not much into interventions... well I thought I wasn't, until I have had more than 3 weeks of on and off labour. prodromal labour. and I am SORE. I ache on every part of my body. no amount of sleep, resting, meditating, talking to the baby, walking, sitting still or any other thing is helping. I am only worse. it's so bad I can hardly stand up now! (seriously, the baby is that low and I have PSD) i'm been stuck in a chair, sofa or bed for days and it's only getting worse.

I'm in pain frankly. so I'm thinking of trying a few milder things. But I have a little concern b/c I'm a VBACer. granted this will be my second vaginal after a c/s nearly 9 years ago, but I still want to use precaution. the last thing I want is to be hasty and then end up rupturing!!

any thoughts on these herbs for "helping things along" for VBACers?
  • Pennyroyal
  • Blue cohash
  • black cohash
  • False unicorn root
  • Blesssed thistle
  • squawvine herb
  • lebelia

(I have a little mixture a friend gave me with all of these herbs)

I've never used anything like this b/c I never thought I'd want to induce labour. but I'm already labouring, and baby is all but sitting inside my vagina, so I'm not sure what else I'm waiting on.

I'm actually a little ashamed... I always thought I would stick it through. and be tougher. and see it through the end. I'm kinda mad at myself for considering this. but I'm also hurting so badly!! I'm scared my physical tension might be making it hard for baby to come... no matter how much my mind relaxes my body is too tired to relax anymore. bleh

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 AM

I don't have any advice on herbs. I just wanted to post and say I'm so sorry you are uncomfortable. You are amazing!!!! Hang in there mama, it's almost over and it won't seem so bad in hindsight.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Ditto on having no advice! I am just here to offer cyber and let you know I have been lurking the UC forum just to see how you are doing

I know it's going to be great! :

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

you all are way too sweet thanks for the encouragement!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 04-10-2009, 01:56 AM

If you're in pain and need assistance, please get it. There's no award or badge for "sticking it out" or "being tough". Do what you need to do mama. Follow your instincts. If that means finding a midwife or OB and getting some relief/support/assurance then by all means do it! (Wo)men are not islands. : Good luck!

Healthcare is a human right!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestylemama View Post
If you're in pain and need assistance, please get it. There's no award or badge for "sticking it out" or "being tough". Do what you need to do mama. Follow your instincts. If that means finding a midwife or OB and getting some relief/support/assurance then by all means do it! (Wo)men are not islands. : Good luck!
while I so appreciate your thoughtful words... I'm not in so much pain I need to run to an OB or what have you. they would have nothing to offer me but induction. Not only does it go against my spiritual beliefs on birth, I am a VBACer and there isn;t much induction wise they can do that is safe for my uterus.I want more children, and I'm not willing to risk it unless it was proven worth the risk.

If I had anemegency I'd seek out treatment. for now? I'm just really uncomfortable. But my desire for a natural birth far out weights my discomfort.

I don't need any badges here! I also got those! (a c/s scar, a torso full of more stretch marks than any person I've ever known, and 2.5 kids hehehe)

Old 04-10-2009, 02:21 AM

I can probably rival your stretch marks

I just want to give you s and say I haven't heard too much about inducing with those things... especially for a vbac. I have mainly heard of mineral oil and castor oil... and with those there seem to be a lot of meconium births. I don't know if it is from the oil or from the babies being post dates in the first place... but it does make me leary.

Anyhow, good luck!.... sending you labor vibes... no, change that to BIRTH vibes

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 04-10-2009, 04:53 AM

Have you tried seeing a chiro or physiotherapist for the SPD? Might help you go into labour, too. I went into labour shortly after starting to do an exercise a physio came up with. I got it from http://www.amazon.com/Relieving-Pelv...9346315&sr=8-4

Personally, I wouldn't take black cohosh, but I know VBAC mamas who have. Not sure about the other's though. Hopefully someone with Susan Weed's book will chime in.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 04-10-2009, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've been seeing a chirco. it helps for not longer than a day if that... and I can't go every day. and frankly it doesn't help all that much at this point. it was helpful earlier on.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:08 AM

Being only 1 day over due I wouldn't try anything yet.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewberry View Post
Being only 1 day over due I wouldn't try anything yet.

Good luck.
I agree. This is how I felt, especially b/c I was a VBAC mom too!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

yeah really I wouldn't normally try anything b/c I don't believe much in due dates. but the only reason I was considering is b/c of the prodromal labour for the last 3 weeks... also I'm not trying hard core induce... just perhaps something to move things along if they will. I don't think anythign will work if it's not ready.

The only concern I have was taking somethign strong and not realizing it. my uterus doens't need that kinda stress!

Old 04-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
yeah really I wouldn't normally try anything b/c I don't believe much in due dates. but the only reason I was considering is b/c of the prodromal labour for the last 3 weeks... also I'm not trying hard core induce... just perhaps something to move things along if they will. I don't think anythign will work if it's not ready.

The only concern I have was taking somethign strong and not realizing it. my uterus doens't need that kinda stress!

I am coming from a place of sympathy and empathy. I was so done and went to almost 44 wks. I had prodromal labor off an on for a week, then hard core for a week, then 2 days of active labor. I am so sorry you are experiencing this!

I felt too at the time though that I wasn't going to take a darn thing, even if I felt like it. I didn't want to compromise, b/c I felt that doing so in the past got me 2 c-sections. It sounds like this is where you are at. You've said that you still feel like you and baby are doing well, right?

If it were me, I'd obviously try to rest, watch a funny movie (distraction), go swimming, drink a Kombucha and re-read something that has to do with fears (right now it's the beginning of the Hypnobirthing book) to remind me of everything I knew before I was actually having to go thru it!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:15 PM

are you having sex at all? The prostaglandins in semen help the cervix soften you know LOL!

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 04-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

yeah, i think stimulation would probably be nice and pleasurable. LOL

and then, also, yoga squat. it was just nice when i was round then. i would mostly sit on the floor in yoga squat or baddho konasana.

so,m yoga squat is like a frog. and baddha konasana is on your seat (or on a blanket) with your feet together and knees open toward the floor. lean back against a wall. feels nice.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:27 PM

If you are having this much prodromal labor then your cervix should be softening and dilating. Any herbs/interventions will only truly work well if your body is ready and if the baby is ready. Many women will take the herbs/supplements only to find they don't go into labor, that is because they are not primed for labor yet.

Any of these are for helpful for starting a labor for a body/baby that are ready.

Alternating black/blue cohosh for three days. One dose every hour (15 drops) of the tincture and alternate each throughout the day. Important to alternate.

ALternate using homeopathic black/blue cohosh for three days. Cimicifuga/Calophyllum are the homeopathic names. If these don't work within three days rest and try again in a few days.

Evening Primrose oil daily internally and putting capsules in externally also.

Drink lots of water, rest and release any emotions that may be hindering labor.

In your list of herbs i am very weary of saying it is ok to internally use any amount of Pennyroyal. It is a risky herb to take internally. False unicorn is great, lady's mantle is great, lobelia is great as well as the cohoshes. If your blood pressure rises stop all use of herbs. Squawvine is now called Partridge Berry and is great and Blessed thistle is fine.

Drink red raspberry tea also.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamerwindweb View Post
are you having sex at all? The prostaglandins in semen help the cervix soften you know LOL!
well of course!! hehe that's the very first thing on my list. b/c even if it doesn't work it's still time well spent

mellowyellowmama-

yeah, I don't want to look back and think "why didn't i just wait it out a little longer?" hmmm maybe I will just come upw ith a list of labour "promoters", and not anything that would exactly qualify as labour inducers. (I know it's a fine line.... so I will just go on my own comfort zone.) and take it from there.

I'm okay with sex, EPO, RRL, and a few other things, but i will hold off on the other stuff for now... unless I feel I need them. I'm trying to listen to my body but anxiety gets in the way. sometimes it's hard to know what would be best so I will try to take it a moment at a time.

someone asked if i had concern about going over? actually yeah I do. not b/c I dont want to go over - sure i am uncomfortable!!! but that isn't my real concern. I have a history of Pre-E, and cholestasis. I'm monitoring myself very well. taking all the right herbs and eating right... but the farther along i get in the pregnancy the higher the risk of liver problems and HELLP syndrome. so yeah, that is weighing on my mind. I'd rather induce than end up sick in the hospital and risking seizing and what not. so that's why I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. so I admit, that is stressing me out. (I'm sure stress doesn't help the liver much either heh...) I just do not want me or baby to end up sick like we did last time. we were under OB/hospital care and they were so unhelpful. they made my problems worse, didn't monitor me well and I ended up gaining TONS of weight, swelling like balloon and having chronic liver problems. it wa sos scary how little they worried about it! looking back it scares me more being in the hospital than it does at home. I felt my problems were so undermananged b/c I trusted them to help me and they didn't. I do not want to end up where I am have to trust strangers with my well being when I've already had two scares with the last kids. this time I am doign SO much better! I have really kept things under control. I want them to stay this way. so in a lot of ways I feel like I am holding my breath until this baby is born.

add that to the fact that my parents are coming to spend Easter weekend. ugh! stressing me out! I do NOT want to have a UC with my parents in my house. If it's during the day I can tell them to leave. but what if it's during the night and they are asleep? I so thought I would have had this baby by now so it dind't even occur to me until this week (I know, stupid , but i was preoccupied with the prodromal labouring )

I need a big dose of "calm down!" seriously... it's liek I was calm this whole pregnancy and now? now I'm working very hard not to freak out all of the time. my emotions are so every where. ugh. luckily I have one heck of a wonderful husband so he is right along side with me helping me through it all. I could never do this without him. he's so helpful.

anyhow... sorry that kinda turned into a therapy session. oops!! haha

Old 04-10-2009, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
yeah, i think stimulation would probably be nice and pleasurable. LOL

and then, also, yoga squat. it was just nice when i was round then. i would mostly sit on the floor in yoga squat or baddho konasana.

so,m yoga squat is like a frog. and baddha konasana is on your seat (or on a blanket) with your feet together and knees open toward the floor. lean back against a wall. feels nice.
I can't do squatting b/c of my sciatica my legs wont let me bend own enough. bummer! but really... this baby couldn't get any lower without coming through my cervix, so I'm really ok in that part. it's just the contractions don't wanna be regular!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:49 PM
wbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
Ditto on having no advice! I am just here to offer cyber and let you know I have been lurking the UC forum just to see how you are doing

I know it's going to be great! :
me too!! have not had much time to do my usual MDC thing, but the first place I head for is straight to this forum to check up on you!!! So there are many people around the world sending you warm energy and positive birthing vibes. You are amazingly strong and patient!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
Old 04-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Banned

I know Lobelia and False Unicorn Root are both good herbs for pregnancy, I think they would actually support the pregnancy, not cause labor. My midwife recommended them to me once to expell a blighted ovum, and I remember her saying the herbs are amazing becuase they would actually help the pregnancy if it was viable (which it wasn't in that case, I was sure).

I'd be a little wary of the Cohoshes because I heard they can cause harder contractions, probably not the same level as pit, but definitely something to think about if you're doing a VBAC. However, I'm not an herbalist so I don't have a lot of info there.

If I were you and I absolutely felt I had to do something, I'd go with Castor Oil. It's supposed to be pretty safe. Gentlebirth.org has some good info on it.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:29 PM

I would also be wary of Pennyroyle, it's an abortion herb. It's going to be far worse the Cohosh.

Having had 2-3 weeks of prodromal myself with each I can say that you probably just need to not meddle with it, if you take something it's going to cause you MORE pain and probably not going to help that baby out.

Seriously though, http://www.spinningbabies.com/. Check and see if you can figure out what position the baby is in and if bub is not in an ideal placement try moxabustion or pulsatilla to help bub move pluss the excersizes on this site. In particular, the lunge helped me stop my prodromal labor with DS and he was Right Occiput Transverse and when I had my induction and it was back labor AND I had pelvic dystocia to boot.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
Old 04-10-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Fyrebloom...

thanks. I especially appreciate this from a mom who's been through longterm prodromal labour!! b/c atleast you now where I am coming from!

I think I can tell prettywell how the bay is positioned, but no harm in looking! I will go look through the spinning babies site again. thanks for linking!

(and yeah I have concern over the pennyroyal too. that's the one that worries me the most)

Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I can't do squatting b/c of my sciatica my legs wont let me bend own enough. bummer! but really... this baby couldn't get any lower without coming through my cervix, so I'm really ok in that part. it's just the contractions don't wanna be regular!
oh mama, so sorry. i wish it was sooner so i could tell you to see a different chiro! i can't believe how low your baby is...come out already baby! :nana:

my 2 cents is no castor oil, but that's b/c of my past experience with it. i would do that before cohoshes, but still! My home birth midwife wanted me to do both. I told her I'd think about it and I did and didn't feel right with it. That is when she dropped me.

It's exhausting. I remember feeling 'done' at 33 wks and then I go to 44?! HUH?! Oh man and the prodromal labor is soooooooooooo exhausting. It's hard to rest at all.

I remember, I had a thread like this going on MDC before and during my labor with my VBA2C and it went to just hundreds of posts! It was so nice to have that support. We are here for you mama!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

he is a GREAT chiropractor in general, but i do wish I had one with a little more knowledge on baby positioning. It would be so helpful right now. ugh... but that's just one more expense I'm not sure I could swing right now. hmmm...

I'm gong to look at SB and see if I can figure out some ideas.

you're right. this thread and support is SO helpful to me!!! makes me feel like I'm not going crazy. wow. I so never felt this way in other pregnancies so it's taken me by surprise!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Banned

i can help with sciatica too!

stand facing the wall such that if you were to bend at the *hips* you would put your hands gainst the wall (as if overhead).

then, separate your feet hip distance apart. bend both knees slightly to engage the thigh muscles (quadriceps). you can actually bend your knees as much as you want to).

step one foot forward about 2-3 feet. turn the back foot out at a 45 degree angle.

from the HIPS start to bend forward. only go as far as you feel comfortable, but feel your hips draw back and your head draw forward, feeling the separation in the hips/lowerback-- in that SI joint.

keep knees bent as much as needed, to keep thighs engaged.

keep hips square and level as if you haev a glass of wine balanced on them.

try to take your torso to parallel to the floor, using the wall to help balance you. straighten legs as best you can (slight bend or even deep bend is ok), and feel legs and back lengthen.

Do the leg that doesn't have the sciatica, do that one forward first, then follow with the sciatic one.

next, 'goddess squat'--in this one, you also use the wall you can also use a chair (you'd be using the seat) if you want. stand a good distance from the chair, so that if arms were overhead, they would be firmly on the seat of the chair or the wall.

separate feet wider than hip distance apart, such that the belly would fit between the thighs.

with this, you want to try to make 90 degree angles with the legs. so, you send your hips back as far as you can, trying to get knees over ankles and thighs parallel to the floor.

with a flat back, put your chest between your thighs and look forward. lift the tailbone toward the ceiling and pull it as far back as you can again, trying to get the knees over the ankles. then press into the seat with your hands and feel your back lengthen and your hips and legs are strong.

this makes thighs burn a bit, but it feels really good when it's done. it also opens the pelvis nicely.

i did this a lot toward the end and it was great!

when your finished with goddess squat, then go into a foward bend to release your back. knees bent as much as you need to, but put the weight back on your feet and roll the weight toward the toes a bit. belly is **** lbetween legs as best as you can at this point! LOL

it really does help. yoga does wonders for all of this stuff. seriously, it's a powerful form of movement.

do it devotionally (i know you are christian, so i recommend that you use jesus or the holy spirit as your focus to my christian clients) and it infinitely increases the benefits. seriously, just doing th emovement devotionally makes a HUGE difference.

the other thing here is to try to take some of the pressure off the pelvis. this can move the uterus and baby up a bit to take some pressure off, allow her to shift into a better position and let prodomol labor happen.

also, bathe in epsom salts if possible to help with muscle fatigue.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

I agree with mellowyellowmama, it may be best to avoid Castor Oil. I just know how desperate one can get in the end and wanted to present an option that was fairly safe

I so feel your pain, HennyPenny. Sciatica is just awful and I went well past my "due date" (arbitrary, I know) with #2 and had a lot of padromal labor....it was miserable. Plus I had a 16 month old to deal with who was nonstop tantruming and untreated bipolar. It was the pits. My heart goes out to you! I know how much it sucks to be in that place.

Sending good vibes your way.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Zoebird... do you think this would work with Symphis pubic issues? I have a wide split and it seems ot be triggering the sciatica. oh it burns!! I've not been able to walk recently b/c it's so bad! like my legs just wont move... like as if they are in mud or something. it's uncomfortable.

I actually used to do yoga every day. but after I had my last child my hips and pevlis and shoulders were so messed up from sciatica and what not that I couldn't do it anymore. it was hitting a nerve and giving me numb burning sensations all through both arms. I was bummed to give it up because before that I really enjoyed it. I will try this method after I look into the spinning babies thing! thanks!!

(man I'm sick of playing doctor lol! This UC gig has been a lot of work this time around! trying to prevent HG, then GD, then Pre-E, and now this! LOL. I feel like I am falling a part! haha... but you know I still feel healthier than I ever did in an OBs care!)

Old 04-10-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

yeah I never dug the castor oil idea... being in prodromal labour and chronic diarhea that may or may not result in a birth? ugggh... no thanks. lol. just doesnt appeal to me right now.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM

My 'induce' rec would be castor oil, but I took only two tablespoons with my DD and didn't look back!

BUT, maybe you need some Bach's Rescue Remedy and some sparkling cider instead? Calm helps with so much, and I would think between the yoga and some relaxing thoughts you might have better luck than trying to 'push' yourself into harder labor. Besides, resting up will make the birth much easier.

Any movies/music get you in the 'vibe' for a relaxing, restful, no expectations sort of night?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I've taken it easy all day long. hardly lifted a finger. soon I'm going to ty to do some squatting and then some yoga stuff.... followed by rebozo lifts. we shall see!

User Tag List