Needing a Doula for a UC in AZ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

I'm having a hard time finding a doula who will attend a UC can anyone help me out?
#2 of 18 Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 PM

Also check the finding your tribe thread under your location. I'd also look under birthing professionals and PM a doula in your area. They might know someone supporting UC births!

Best of luck.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#3 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
Also check the finding your tribe thread under your location. I'd also look under birthing professionals and PM a doula in your area. They might know someone supporting UC births!

Best of luck.
Thank you!
#4 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 03:01 AM

Don't be surprised if you have a hard time. It's not that they don't want to support you, it's a liability issue. There is a very real possibility of a doula getting sued if she is the only 'professional' at a birth and something goes wrong. Also, if there's a doula there, it's not a UC

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#5 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dragon View Post
Don't be surprised if you have a hard time. It's not that they don't want to support you, it's a liability issue. There is a very real possibility of a doula getting sued if she is the only 'professional' at a birth and something goes wrong. Also, if there's a doula there, it's not a UC
I was kinda wondering about that too. LOL
#6 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 11:40 AM

I agree it might be harder to find someone, although not impossible. Waivers can be used, and I'd suggest it. Doulas are not (medical) birthing professionals and it should clearly state on the waiver that they are there for moral support/as a friend.

I also don't think a woman wanting a doula at her UC should be told it is no longer a UC. There is no medical professioanl there. A doula is emotional support if needed, like having a friend over at a UC.

It seems unfair to me, that a woman wanting a little more emotional support wouldn't be having a UC. We have lost our circle of women that support birth in this society, it has shifted to new roles. I don't think unassisted means alone.

I wish I lived closer! Good luck on your search

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#7 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Dragon View Post
Also, if there's a doula there, it's not a UC
I disagree with this.

I know someone who might. I'll contact her and ask. PM me, let me know where in AZ you are, how far along are you, etc.
#8 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM

You might try going here - http://www.southwestdoulas.com/arizona/ - and clicking on "locate a birth professional." You'll see a list of midwives followed by a list of doulas. Stephanie Soderblom is a midwife that used to be a doula. She's very supportive of UC. I spoke about UC at a conference she put on in 2007, and she had her own UC last year. You might have to "officially" hire her as a midwife in order for her to attend your birth, but based on what I know about her I would think she'd be very hands-off.
Laura
#9 of 18 Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM

If you exchange money, or barter, can you legally get a waiver? You might want to email DONA or ALACE to make sure this is permitted for certified doulas.
#10 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 01:44 AM
Banned

i think that having a doula there is still having a UC too, because she's not there as a medical attendent.

if you can't find a doula, you might look to other UCers in the area who would be willing to help out as a friend.

i don't live in AZ, but i would be willing to do this for a UCer. i would be happy to cook or make tea or watch little children or draw baths or calm upset husbands or read storybooks or change the CDs on the CD player or mow the lawn or whatever else a birthing mother might want me to do.
#11 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think that having a doula there is still having a UC too, because she's not there as a medical attendent.

if you can't find a doula, you might look to other UCers in the area who would be willing to help out as a friend.

i don't live in AZ, but i would be willing to do this for a UCer. i would be happy to cook or make tea or watch little children or draw baths or calm upset husbands or read storybooks or change the CDs on the CD player or mow the lawn or whatever else a birthing mother might want me to do.
Exactly!! Thanks for chiming in. Sometimes what our support needs are, aren't the exact definition of a doula (but I guess the definition of a doula would be whatever mothers needs are, ), but are very important. I hopefully be doing the same in June for a friend, we have yet to chat about the details, but I have a feeling it will be washing laundry, caring for her older child, cleaning up (what a treat!), drawing a bath, keeping the environment soothing and calm for all, and help after the birth.

Also, about the waiver, I was in fact speaking as a doula without an organization behind me. I am DONA trained, but not certified. However, I can still see some way you could get around this...like a waiver stating you are only a friend. Because in the unlikely event of an emergency, everyone in attendance should call upon their trained skills to help out. A doula isn't a trained medical professional so couldn't possibly use her medical skills, yk?

Anyways, something to look into. OP I think you'll find a doula/friend to help in whatever way you need

#12 of 18 Old 04-27-2009, 01:26 PM

I emailed my friend and she can't right now. She said it's a pretty crappy atmosphere there right now. :

I didn't think of Stephanie. Laura is right, she's an option!
#13 of 18 Old 04-30-2009, 03:08 PM

I'll be lurking this thread to see how it works out for you. I do hope you're able to find a doula to suit your needs.

I'd like to have a labor doula to call on here in Georgia for my UC too. I have no family and no friends that I can trust to come through for me, which is really frustrating. At the same time though, I'm glad they're not here to distract and deter me from the UP/UC birth experience that I've always desired.

Happy searching honey
#14 of 18 Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurumama View Post
If you exchange money, or barter, can you legally get a waiver? You might want to email DONA or ALACE to make sure this is permitted for certified doulas.
It's a really common misnomer that a waiver can protect a doula in a UC situation. We know that waivers don't protect DRs from doing harm regardless of if it's intentional or not, so they won't protect a doula either. Especially one that is forced to or chooses to work outside the accepted scope of practice for a doula.

To the OP, where in AZ are you?

Angela

Doula2You

#15 of 18 Old 04-30-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

:
This is too funny. I can see it now. In the middle of a contraction, birthing mama yells "MOW THE LAWN." zoebird abliges. About 45 seconds later, after the contraction passes, mama asks daddy "Where's zoebird?" Dad says "Honey, you told her to mow the lawn."

Sorry I have nothing really to add.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#16 of 18 Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 AM

I have attended two UC's as support, mainly for the father. The first the babe had a cord around the neck, he started to panic, I was able to calmly tell him it was fine and let the baby come, his fear was holding the mama back, he relaxed visibly and she popped right out into his hands. The second birth the dad was worried about bleeding during labor (it was normal bloody show) I was able to reassure him that it was normal and a couple hours later he caught his son.

I was able to provide childcare for thier other children, prepare meals and clean up after. Both sets of parents were able to focus on labor/birth/newborn.

UC has an individual definition for every birth.

OP: I live about 30 miles from the AZ border and would be willing to travel.
#17 of 18 Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaAngie View Post
It's a really common misnomer that a waiver can protect a doula in a UC situation. We know that waivers don't protect DRs from doing harm regardless of if it's intentional or not, so they won't protect a doula either. Especially one that is forced to or chooses to work outside the accepted scope of practice for a doula.

To the OP, where in AZ are you?
I agree with this.
Clients cannot have a doula sign a wavier to wavier away laws, this does not protect the hired doula from being prosecuted for *practicing midwifery illegally* (I do not know your exact state laws, but in my state a doula could not do that without great risk, be a hired person at a UC birth.) The law would view me as a midwife practicing illegally.

Nothing has to go wrong at the birth for the doula to get in trouble, some nosey neighbor, doctor, midwife that wants to report you.

I don't want to be unsupportive, but have you considered if you're feeling like you need a trained emotionally supportive person there, why not hire a homebirth midwife to support you, she also has the added value of resolving any issues that come up at home, instead of you going to the hospital unnecessarily.

Otherwise have a friend come over as the other posters have suggested.
#18 of 18 Old 05-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumani View Post
I have attended two UC's as support, mainly for the father. The first the babe had a cord around the neck, he started to panic, I was able to calmly tell him it was fine and let the baby come, his fear was holding the mama back, he relaxed visibly and she popped right out into his hands. The second birth the dad was worried about bleeding during labor (it was normal bloody show) I was able to reassure him that it was normal and a couple hours later he caught his son.

I was able to provide childcare for thier other children, prepare meals and clean up after. Both sets of parents were able to focus on labor/birth/newborn.

UC has an individual definition for every birth.

OP: I live about 30 miles from the AZ border and would be willing to travel.
: Congrats jford99, looks like you may have found yourself a 'friend' to help out during your UC! I love happy endings.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page