Contractions Started! Then... Stopped. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So yesterday I drove up to PDX with DS and DP to go to Powell's bookstore and pick up my Dad from the airport. During the day I started getting contractions, irregularly. By around 9pm, I'd had about 3 within the past hour. Between 9-10pm I had a few more, then we got in the car to drive home. They started coming every 5-6 minutes exactly at around 10pm. By 11:30, they were pretty intense, and I let DP drive the rest of the way home : (I know, I know, but I was fine to drive, really!)

I was sitting in the same position in the passenger seat (seat was even adjusted the same), but only had one more contraction after switching seats. Slept well last night, have had a couple contrx today.

So what's up with that? They were regular, increasing in intensity, all the signs of real contrx and then they just stop?

I'm SO ready to have this baby

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 09:42 PM

I seriously don't want to discourage you, but with each of my births, I had three warm-up times where I would have just what you described, then nothing. Fourth time was always a charm for me. Hang in there!
#3 of 11 Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM

I always get contraxs in the car/van toward the end.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#4 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 01:53 AM

I'm not the person to ask... lol I've been doing that for weeks!

BUT, I'm really hoping it wont be that way for you! here's to a fast labour and birth!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#5 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM

I had that happen with my second. I would get regular contractions for several hours - then they would stop and maybe come back the next day. In my case that went on for several days. It was frustrating as I stopped believing it was actually labor. And when after around 5 days I was actually IN labor - I was also in denial - I was worried I'd be dissapointed again. But once I realised I was actually in active labor - it went SO incredibly fast. My first labor had been a 50 hour marathon - my second labor was 90 minutes of active labor and I held my DD.
Just wanted to reassure you that its normal and that the ctx can still get the job done - even if they are irregular.
What signalled real labor for me was when they became so painful I had to focus and moan through them -and when I finally was wondering if it was real labor and timed one - and it turned out to last well over 1,5 minutes. Then realised the next ctx happened within 4 minutes since the last one started - thats when I realised I was actually in labor..

No worries, its normal. Enjoy the anticipation and the excitement of not knowing. I know its frustrating while it goes on, but looking back I think those last days of pregnancy were SO exciting. I get all broody thinking about it

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#6 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seie View Post
No worries, its normal. Enjoy the anticipation and the excitement of not knowing. I know its frustrating while it goes on, but looking back I think those last days of pregnancy were SO exciting. I get all broody thinking about it
Thanks for sharing that! It's good to know that I'll realize when I'm in 'real' labor. It's also good to know that the contrx can do the job whether or not they're regular

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

#7 of 11 Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM

On Friday I supported a 2nd time mom who began labor around 4am.

8am ctx 10-20m apart

12:30pm- 5-7m apart

1:30pm- 10m apart

2:30pm- 5-7m apart

3:30pm- 10m apart

4:30pm- 2-3m apart

5:15pm- 7cm

5:20pm- 9cm

5:45pm- 10 w/ lip

6:45pm- baby born!

My point is that you/baby's birth pattern is just that, your own birth pattern. Relax, do life as well as you can and know that your body is making progress and you're going to meet your baby sooner rather than later.

Peace!

#8 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 AM

Those *are* real contractions.

With my third baby I had an episode of contracting about a week before the birth that was far more intense than any of the contractions that took place just previous to the birth. At the same time my forewaters broke (and then resealed.) I think part of the problem is that we want to think of pregnancy and labor in terms of definite stages, but that's a textbook fabrication. There are all kinds of ways that bodies gear up for the moment of the expulsion of the baby.
#9 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM

"Labor by installments" I like to call it. It IS real, it IS getting some of the work done, and one day it IS going to keep going til your baby is out!
#10 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

With my third baby I had an episode of contracting about a week before the birth that was far more intense than any of the contractions that took place just previous to the birth. At the same time my forewaters broke (and then resealed.) I think part of the problem is that we want to think of pregnancy and labor in terms of definite stages, but that's a textbook fabrication. There are all kinds of ways that bodies gear up for the moment of the expulsion of the baby.
great way to put it!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#11 of 11 Old 04-30-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

With my third baby I had an episode of contracting about a week before the birth that was far more intense than any of the contractions that took place just previous to the birth.
That's good to know

They sure felt real!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page