Mothering Forum banner

UCing in PA

719 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  guestmama9971 
#1 ·
For those who have UC'd in PA, did you participate in all the "required by law" newborn screenings (heel prick, hearing test, am I forgetting something)?

#2 ·
in what way is it required by law? that's news to me! (but hey, I'm new here still!)

we just took him to our AK chiropractor for a good look over an assessment. he checked him over really well but we didn't do any pricking.

#3 ·
I hadn't thought about it until a poster in another thread mentioned newborn screenings being required in her state...I looked it up and sure enough, PA is one the states that has made it mandatory to screen newborns for a variety of disorders.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...&q=247964&PM=1

What is newborn screening?

Newborn screening is a special test your baby receives soon after birth to protect your baby's health. State law requires all babies born in Pennsylvania to be screened for six special medical or genetic conditions, even if your baby is born at home. Parents are encouraged to have their newborn screened for additional disorders at the same time. The additional screening tests are commonly referred to as supplemental screening, and effective July 1, 2009 all screening laboratories in PA are require to report the screen test results of 22 additional conditions to the Department for follow-up. A baby born with a serious medical or genetic condition may appear to be healthy at birth. By screening, these conditions are detected early and treated. Problems due to these conditions are often prevented.

What special medical or genetic conditions is my baby screened for in Pennsylvania?

Your baby must be screened for the following six special medical conditions:

· Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH)

· Congenital hypothyroidism (CH)

· Galactosemia (GAL)

· Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD)

· Phenylketonuria (PKU)

· Sickle Cell Disease and other Hemoglobinopathies (HGB)

The results of these screenings are reported to the Department of Health as well as to the newborn's physician identified by the parents on the filter paper. It is therefore very important that you provide the current contact information for yourself and for the newborn's primary care provider who will care for your baby after birth.

Parents may choose to have their newborn screened for additional disorders at the same time. This screening panel is commonly referred to as supplemental screening. New Pennsylvania legislation requires the screening results for 22 of the supplemental conditions to be reported to the Department of Health beginning July 1, 2009.

And from another section of the site:

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...A=179&Q=241517

Your baby will receive a hearing test shortly after birth. Babies have the best chance to learn to speak well if any hearing loss is identified and treated before your baby reaches six months of age. Pennsylvania law requires that all newborns are screened for hearing. Most of the time your baby will receive this test in the hospital/birthing center.

I'm about 6 weeks from my EDD and trying to wrap my mind around what the days following our UC will look like...I'm dreading dealing with "outsiders".

#4 ·
huh... never knew that one. (and I've looked around quite a bit for the things that are mandotory)

I wonder just how "mandatory" this actually is, you know? kinda like how vaxes are mandatory.... unless you have religious beliefs agianst them? (which I do, so I don't vax!)

so what's the punishment for not doing that? b/c we didn't. and I don't plan on it. but good grief I don't need PA up in my business about it at a later date either! I find this state to be unbelievably nosy!!! (nothing like maryland where I used to live) they like to have a say in everything in seems. ugh!

#5 ·
I just read the link and it's talking about hospital births and birthing centers. it did't mention homebirth... so I wonder if it's mandatory form the hospital/birthing center's side... but not mandatory from the parental side. meaning it's like a loophole kinda? (for lack of better way to put it)

#6 ·
In the first part about the disorder screening, they say "State law requires all babies born in Pennsylvania to be screened for six special medical or genetic conditions, even if your baby is born at home."

Yes, PA is extremely invasive as I'm sure you've noticed in our homeschooling laws.

I did see something in my poking around about a religious waiver, of course it included an ominous statement about it being placed in your child's permanent medical record, likely as a "warning" to insurance companies. As much as I hate it, dh and I will probably take the cover your backside approach just in case.

#7 ·
The newborn screening is pretty important. Some courts have intervened in the presence of religious "exemptions." This was formerly called the PKU test, but has been expanded to test for many other congenital defects that require immediate intervention or have dire/deadly consequences.

#9 ·
Some states "require" things and others don't. Some states offer exemptions, and others don't.

However, I rarely comply with these medical procedures if find them unnecessary. Most of my children have never been tested, though one here or there has been.

I just don't think the government has the right to insist I test my baby like an assymbly line child when there is nothing wrong. I have never had then "insist", other than the one baby I had in the hosptial.

#10 ·
perhaps i will just take the don't go there approach. if i am questioned about it i will say i didn't know (which i didn't) amd if it has to be done i'l do it. but i'll fight it first with an exemption. it's not just a stupid law, it's an evasive one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.