Mothering Forum banner

FMLA and UP? how does that work...

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  secondimpression 
#1 ·
so, going UP/UC for the 2nd time...last time i didn't have a 'real job' so didn't need to worry about FMLA (i was getting paid under the table for some data entry work for a small local company). this time, i have a 'real job', and will need to fill out FMLA if i plan on taking 12 weeks off....

so how does this work? i haven't seen a doc/midwife, have no plans to, either. is it possible to fill out FMLA without a doctor signing off on it? has anyone else done it?

i'm really hoping that maybe DH will have his mortuary apprenticeship by then and i can just quit, but who knows....

any advice?

#2 ·
everything I've come across so far (there have been threads on this topic, try searching "fmla" in this forum) people have had to get a doctor to sign the papers, no HR department would accept just your own account. That could be your family doctor, or a chiropractor or someone else medical you know who'd be willing to sign their name for you.

there's the subject of the birth certificate afterwards too, if you have no "proof of pregnancy" there's a chance you could encounter barriers with that as well.

Let us know what you find out, everyone's experience adds to the wealth of info here!

#3 ·
thanks much!

i had no issue with the BC last time. didn't need proof of pg or anything, just filled out the paperwork, filed it, and had the BC in about 6 weeks. for as backwards as this state is, at least i didn't have issues with that.

i'm hoping to start going to a chiropractor on a regular basis starting this month, so hopefully i can get him to do it.

#4 ·
My dh's FMLA did want proof of preg. I had one from ER visit w/ UTI at 6 weeks. I have one this time from bleeding at 11 weeks. But honestly anyone could come up w/ some proof of preg note. I had one once written on simple piece of paper that filled in name and EDD. I used that for several pregnancies IYKWIM.

#5 ·
i'll probably ask for a proof of pregnancy from the chiro i'll be seeing, just to cover my butt in case something comes up. i had considered going to a clinic and getting a pg test and letter done there, but i just don't want to be bothered. at least this way i'll be getting some therapeutic work done, too!

#7 ·
Honestly, I am surprised that you could get your BC without proof of pgcy. I have gotten seven BC's in various states, and ALWAYS HAD to provide POP. If it were so easy to get a BC without it, I would think there could be a LOT of fraud along with that.

As for the FMLA, the CO my DH works for, if you don't have a doc sign off, you won't get it, no matter what. And a chiro would not work for them since he does not "diagnos pgcy". Perhaps other CO's are different.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
Honestly, I am surprised that you could get your BC without proof of pgcy. I have gotten seven BC's in various states, and ALWAYS HAD to provide POP. If it were so easy to get a BC without it, I would think there could be a LOT of fraud along with that.

We had to show other proof, my prenatal record, my own, baptismal cert to prove baby exists.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

As for the FMLA, the CO my DH works for, if you don't have a doc sign off, you won't get it, no matter what. And a chiro would not work for them since he does not "diagnos pgcy". Perhaps other CO's are different.
i'm in NE. i did the PKU, hearing screen, and visit with the pedi before applying for BC. when i went for the paperwork, i took baby with me. not sure if the order in which i did things made a difference, or if they just don't typically ask (they do require proof of pg if the BC is applied for later than a year after the birth). but that's how it went for me.

my dh will probably only take a week or two off. we're hoping he's in an apprenticeship by then, so working at a funeral home, but if not, he's been with his current company for several years and has a good relationship with them. we already know they won't mind him taking the time off (he has no plans on filing FMLA, just requesting time off). the company i'm working for is pretty small. i don't know if they'll give me grief or not. i guess we'll see

#11 ·
I filed my daughter's birth certificate without proof of pregnancy as well, in Maine, although I would have been able to provide it, they never asked for anything. I only brought it up because it has been a topic of conversation, and the OP still has a chance to get one now, along with a Dr.'s sig on FMLA paperwork since she is still pregnant, just one other factor to consider...

I guess if you are adamant about not having anyone official involved and really don't want to see a doctor just for paperwork reasons there's most likely a way around anything if you are persistant enough, but sometimes if you know ahead of time that there's an easier way to do it just by getting a form or whatever, it may help to know that and save yourself all the frustration later, when it's to late to go back and do things differently

wow, that was rambley

#12 ·
I only got short term disability from my work and DH got FMLA. For both forms, I took them to Planned Parenthood and got a pregnancy test (in my 3rd trimester). The girl who did my "counseling" after the test had no problems filling out the forms. I just got asked some simple yes/no questions about the pregnancy and I was done. The insurance company my disability was through did call PP to confirm that I had indeed seen them for "prenatal care". I never got questioned further and my disability checks showed up right on time...DH also didn't have any problems with his FMLA paperwork.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.