So at what point would you "give up"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You absolutely didnt fail. You did an awesome job! I intended my last baby to be a UC but ended up transfering for malposition (military/deflexed) and had a section, so I know how it feels
Sounds to me like it was a good doctor/hospital - better than most I read about on this forum. I read your birthstory and the pic with Josh and your grandfather is wonderful! Congrats again.

Single mom to ds(8), dd(6) and ds(5)

#62 of 64 Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 AM

mama, he's just beautiful! congrats!!!!
#63 of 64 Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 AM

I would be comfortable with going past dates, but I would be wanting to have NST's...so I am not sure what to do in your situation since you don't have a care provider to do them for you.
The only things I would probably be more concerned with regarding the actual birth would be possible shoulder dystocia if the baby has grown a lot and hemorrhaging due to retained placenta b/c as time goes on the placenta does eventually deteriorate and might be more likely to break and leave pieces inside.
Personally, and I admit that I am perhaps an overcautious UC'er, I might continue to go for another week but decide to go to the hospital when I did start labor.

ETA: serves me right for not reading the whole thread! Congratulations on your little boy. You are absolutely NOT a failure. Honestly, UC is not about having an unattended birth at all costs, it is about doing what is best for mom and baby, and in your case you guys happened to need medical help. You are a success story b/c you trusted your instincts and you are both healthy because of it!
#64 of 64 Old 07-25-2009, 03:47 PM

Congrats mama!

I just wanted to add, I was born at 44w1d. Back when my mom had me (in 81), they tried to induce at 2 weeks overdue, but all they had was pit back then and my mom's cervix was totally not ready. So, it didnt work. The doc said it was fine and to just keep waiting. Finally she had me on her own at just over 44 weeks (I was due sept 29th and born oct 30th ). They didnt automatically give her a cesarean just because she was overdue. Anywho, I was 8lbs 10oz, I did have a lot of meconium, but besides that, I was fine. I obviously wasnt huge either!

Ironically my sister, who was born 10 years after me, was induced with more modern methods at 41 weeks-when they tried to put a fetal scalp monitor on her, she moved up, my moms cervix immediately started to close, and she crushed her own umbilical cord, resulting in an emergency cesarean. She was only 7 pounds. Obviously she really *needed* to be born, right?

This is probably an odd reference but I also had a dalmation that I used to breed and she was always overdue. Her pups would be born with their spots, sometimes their eyes were even starting to open. None of them ever had any issues, they were all healthy, perfect vet checks. She never even lost a puppy, except one that was breach and got stuck-I think it had other issues though, since it wasnt gaining weight, even with us supplementing it. Wow, I went way off topic...sorry...

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page