Anyone ever try a castor oil belly rub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 41w 5d. So, I don't really want to "induce" baby unaturally (sex, nipple stim, walking...all ok, but not helping) and ingesting castor oil is out of the question for me, but I was wondering about applying it topically to my belly through massage? Seems like it would help with the same affect, but not as severe? What do yall think?

Jesus-loving, helpmate to Billy and Unschooling mama to a five!
#2 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?

#3 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 PM

My midwives told me that castor oil actually causes stomach cramps and not contractions. They said that some people believe it works but there isn't any proof. I'm no expert, it's just what I've heard, and a belly massage with oil never hurt anything, so it's worth a try!

For what it's worth, I went into labor with both of my kids within a few hours after making love with my man. I'm a believer in that!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#4 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymagnolia View Post
My midwives told me that castor oil actually causes stomach cramps and not contractions. They said that some people believe it works but there isn't any proof. I'm no expert, it's just what I've heard, and a belly massage with oil never hurt anything, so it's worth a try!

For what it's worth, I went into labor with both of my kids within a few hours after making love with my man. I'm a believer in that!
Yeah DTD hasn't helped. We've been like rabbits. I'm just feeling at my wits end, but know that baby will come when ready..... But I'm done.
-yvonne

#5 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 PM

it can't be much longer...hang in there....oh, and the pineapple thing doesn't work either...i heard pineapples would help so i ate a whole one in like one and a half days....but it still took dc 42 weeks 6 days to be ready to come out.

::
#6 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 05:06 AM

I don't know how effective the CO topically would be, but personally, I could not stand the smell.

As for "proof" that CO works to start labor, I have used it quite affectively several times, when needed. And it started labor within six hours. So I know it works for me. But, I guess it may not work for everyone.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#7 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
I don't know how effective the CO topically would be, but personally, I could not stand the smell.

As for "proof" that CO works to start labor, I have used it quite affectively several times, when needed. And it started labor within six hours. So I know it works for me. But, I guess it may not work for everyone.
Thx! We have a Gideon too and he was born in 2004! You're the 1st mama with a Gideon that I've met. Neat!

As for the castor oil, I just don't like being sick and don't want my beautiful UC to turn into a vomiting & diarrhea escapade. kwim? Are all the symptoms over once labor acually begins?

DH thinks i should try it this morning. When did you take yours? At a certain time? night or day?

#8 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 03:26 PM

I am seriously considering trying it as well (internally). From my estimated LMP I am 45+1 today (could be a week off) and I am about 4 cm dialated, but true labor will just not kick in gear.

I spent a couple hours yesterday reading up on the castor oil and came away from it decided that I would not try it, (read horror stories, but also one midwife who said she never had any problems in over 200 births using it).

Ugh, I just don't know. I see from your blog that you went through with it, so let me know how it goes.
#9 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 03:28 PM

honestly, i think some women just can't be induced! we are the women who would end up with c/s if we were to be hospital induced too.

i tried (with both my kids):

castor oil - internally AND belly rub
making love (5-6 times per day , not kidding, some days more)
pineapple - i ate 2 whole pineapples in one sitting with both kids
walking
bumpy mountain roads
goldenseal:
nipple stimulation
cohoshes
accupressure
visualization
relaxation
wine (1 glass)

none of it worked!

i just had to wait it out! but, that said, both my labors went well. with ds, my uc, my labor was only about 2 hours!
#10 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My midwife told me that in a multiparous woman (who has had at least one labor already...) it works every time, in her experience. In primiparous women it's less effective. That said, I was leery about it, but didn't come down to needing it the second time.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#11 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM

I'm nervous about castor oil because of the possible meconium link... I don't want my UC to turn into a big terrifying ordeal with meconium... IF I could avoid that. You know? Anyhow... good luck... in a week or a little more I might be at the point of trying it too.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#12 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I am seriously considering trying it as well (internally). From my estimated LMP I am 45+1 today (could be a week off) and I am about 4 cm dialated, but true labor will just not kick in gear.

I spent a couple hours yesterday reading up on the castor oil and came away from it decided that I would not try it, (read horror stories, but also one midwife who said she never had any problems in over 200 births using it).

Ugh, I just don't know. I see from your blog that you went through with it, so let me know how it goes.
I know what you mean about the horror stories....I 've read a ton too. I think it's the same as reading negative UC stories. Gotta take things in stride and decide on what is best for you.

We ran into my old midwife (previous 2 HB) last night and she was encouraging about doing the "CO labor shake." I guess talking to her (she's practiced 30+) yrs and the fact that we induced with blue cohosh at 42+ wks last time with her reccomendation and it worked. ....I just felt ok with trying it.

So we did the CO labor shake this morning and I just took my 2nd dose at 2pm. Lots of details in my blog for anyone interested. I started feeling contrax almost immediatly with the 2nd dose. DH and I are going for a walk now to help stimulate things.

Wish me luck!

#13 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good luck!!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#14 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update. Having strong contractions. Some that have taken my breath away. Haven't started timing them (I'm just not a timing contrax person...I feel like that puts a clock on things (literally).) Also, having tons of cervical stimulation. Baby has been hicupping and moving like normal. I don't believe that the CO has affected him/her (accept through contrax). We will see if baby comes by morning.. Will update later.

#15 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 11:09 PM

Hope you are holding your baby by morning!

As for the timing of CO. IME, I have taken it, had the abdominal "issues" (mild cramping and loose stools) starting about a half hour later and only lasting at most an hour. Nothing too harsh (if you can just get past the CO taste, which I find is the worst part of it all). The contractions rarely start for several more hours. So the "effects" of the CO are usually gone before I have to deal with labor and birth.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#16 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 AM

My MW recommends doing Castor Oil as an enema instead of the shake. She says your body absorbs the benefits and then you have one great big BM instead of hours of and hours of fun on the toilet while laboring at the same time. Bleh. It's supposed to make a CO-induced labor a lot more pleasant. Personally, I'm going to try everything else first if we decide to induce before I go for that one. It's my last resort!

Mommy to Nora Cecelia, born 8/15/09.
#17 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 02:32 AM

The reasoning behind it working when ingested is it causes such severe intestinal cramping it triggers the uterus into sympathy ones. Domino effect. Worked with DD1 but I cannot bear to drink it again.

With DD2 I googled it to remind myself about doses if I got that desperate again and saw a blip on gentlebirth about using it during a cervix check, essentially as a lube and giving the cervix a good rub down/sweep. I did with DD2 and before I could get my pants up I was having contractions. I don't get them prior to labour (not even BH). Not sure if it worked or if it was just my timing. I had had true bloody show by that point so who knows. DD2 was born the next morning (I did it right before bed) though. I can grab the blip if anyone is interested. You get all the perks of CO but without the potential bathroom issues.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#18 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Strong contrax lasted all night till about 3am (hardly any sleep) then, they switched to cervical shooting pains. Woke up this morning still pregnant, so I guess baby is telling me he'll come when he's ready. I've chosen to be ok with that now.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I think God is teaching me a lesson in patience.

#19 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:54 AM

Funny, I posted just one minute too soon. I was checking for a response from you. Sorry to hear they petered out, I bet they did a lot of prep work though! Hang in there it will be soon!
#20 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 01:44 PM

-
#21 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 02:22 PM

CO didn't work topically for me, but I drank 2.5 oz Monday afternoon and gave birth Monday at 10pm. It really wasn't that bad. i put it in a milkshake and couldn't really taste it and I had a lil nausea and some diarrhea but nothing awful or major. I also had a "juicy" cervix when I drank it..... if you're body isn't ready it won't work (so i hear).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page