Do I have a freakishly deep vagina? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously! I'm not a cervical checking mama, but considering I'm 42wks I thought I'd go in and try to check my cervix to see how thigs were progressing. This was my 1st time trying to check, so maybe I just need some pointers, but I did everything I read and still could not find the "door at the end of the hallway." (kwim)

I tried with one leg up on the tub, squatting, sitting on the toilet, etc...
The closest I got (I think) was sitting on the toilet. I still didn't touch the end through. Nothing there just more and more hallway.lol
I did have lots of cervical mucus, but never felt the actual cervix.

I really wish I could have felt something. It would have given me some hope.

Are my fingers just too short or do I have a freakishly deep vagina?:

Laugh away at my freakishness now.:

Anyone else have this issue?

Jesus-loving, helpmate to Billy and Unschooling mama to a six and one on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM

My guess is that your cervix is soft and feels like the walls around it. Good luck with your labour and birth!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#3 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

But there is no end. I can't feel anything at the end of my fingertips? Even if it was soft wouldn't I feel it at the end of my fingertips? I mean how many inches in is it?

Jesus-loving, helpmate to Billy and Unschooling mama to a six and one on the way!
#4 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM

it is probably 'ripe' and feels like everything around it. I had hubby check me today (can't reach around my belly myself) and it changed from yesterday when it was hard and he knew exactly where it was to today... it is soft and he couldn't even tell exactly where it was.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#5 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM

-
#6 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmarie42 View Post
A couple of things-

I think it takes practice and it's usually even harder to locate and feel late in pregnancy.

Also, I think its normal to not be able to reach it well. I heard a quote somewhere, saying something like, "if God intended us to check our cervix, he would have made it easier to access or given us longer fingers."
that make sme feel better and not so freakish.

#7 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingmama4 View Post
Seriously! I'm not a cervical checking mama, but considering I'm 42wks I thought I'd go in and try to check my cervix to see how thigs were progressing. This was my 1st time trying to check, so maybe I just need some pointers, but I did everything I read and still could not find the "door at the end of the hallway." (kwim)

I tried with one leg up on the tub, squatting, sitting on the toilet, etc...
The closest I got (I think) was sitting on the toilet. I still didn't touch the end through. Nothing there just more and more hallway.lol
I did have lots of cervical mucus, but never felt the actual cervix.

I really wish I could have felt something. It would have given me some hope.

Are my fingers just too short or do I have a freakishly deep vagina?:

Laugh away at my freakishness now.:

Anyone else have this issue?
lol! Me me I do!

When I was 42 weeks with DD I desperately tried to find my cervix because I was *sure* that I had to be at least a little dilated and soft. I couldn't feel a damn thing up there (no door at the end of the hallway!). The next day I had an appt with my MW and she couldn't find it either. It was too tilted back, if I remember correctly, so no dilation and definitely not soft. But, the day after that I went into labor all on my very own, so it doesn't really mean much.

Hang in there mama!

Noel :
BFing, ECing, crunchy mama to my sweet Isla Bright 03.2008 and surprise baby due 09.2009
#8 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
wbg

Ha ha...your post made me laugh! When I was about to pop my 4th, I tried to have a feel and decided that I clearly just did not have a cervix! It did not exist! Contrary to what my MW and former OBs have witnessed, I believe it simply does not exist because I tried ever so hard to find it!!!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#9 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
pjs

I've had three separate midwives and dh (who has very long fingers) try to check my cervix (at 41w 6 each time) and no luck finding the blasted thing. My 1st was born in a hospital and they had no problem finding it, but they seem to put their arms in up to their elbows (at least it looks that way on all those birthing shows) anyway.
#10 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Try angling your fingers more forward, towards your pubic bone. Sometimes when you are checking yourself you can reach right past the baby's head. Once you find the baby's head, then you can find the cervix.

If this is not your first baby the baby might be sitting pretty high which pulls the cervix up and out of reach.

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#11 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
Try angling your fingers more forward, towards your pubic bone. Sometimes when you are checking yourself you can reach right past the baby's head. Once you find the baby's head, then you can find the cervix.

If this is not your first baby the baby might be sitting pretty high which pulls the cervix up and out of reach.
This is my 5th baby and I swear his head is soo low. When he gets hiccups (multiple times a day) I can feel it in my vagina! You would think I could feel my cervix since I'm practically sitting on his head. I'll try what you said. Perhaps I'm too far South?

I know that cervical checks do not really prove any progress. That's why this is my 1st time trying to find the darn thing. I just thought it'd be neat and encouraging IF I could feel some dialation, etc...

Guess I'll let it go. I just hear of all these mamas checking there cervix and I was thinking if the norm was it was "easy and simple to find," then I must have a super long birth canal.

#12 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 PM

best title ever

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#13 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM

When I was pregnant with my 4th, i tried to check my own cervix around my due date. Just to see what was happening.

I am a labor and delivery nurse. I check cervixes. I know what htey feel like.

i couldn't find mine. i sat on the toilet. i laid on my back, i laid on my side and raised my top leg way up and put my foot on the wall. NOpe. couldn't feel a DARNED thing!

lol. i figure, that my short body (5'2) gave me proportionally short fingers, that or the gigantic baby (10lbs 7oz), and i could get to the target area but not quite reach the cervix.

it was there. lol, went into spontaneous labor at 41w2d

Student Nurse Midwife and semi crunchy mom to 4 "C" named kids! 10yr old DS, 8 yr old DD, 6yr old DD, and 3 yr old DS. Praying that C #5 is in the future for me!
#14 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 08:20 PM

I'm another mama who can't find her cervix when pregnant! It's easy enough to locate otherwise, but goes on a sabbatical or something when I'm growing babes.

You're not alone.
#15 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have no problem checking my cervix at various points during my menstrual cycle. But while pg? Forget it! It's just too high up, or I can't reach around my belly for a good angle to reach in there, or whatever. I've tried in late pg and couldn't tell what the heck I was feeling.

Even in early pg, I had trouble locating it (although I have no problem when ovulating.)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#16 of 35 Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM

I was able to check my cervix fine during pregnancy until the week before the birth.
#17 of 35 Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Tried last pg, and no luck. I was frustrated too. I followed the instructions

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#18 of 35 Old 07-30-2009, 04:20 AM

I could feel mine up until around 24ish weeks - I checked about once a month, and prior to getting pregnant checked routinely as part of FAM. I'm 36 weeks and can't feel it at all now. I know it's up there, but I figure it's very posterior and hiding. I figure if I can't feel it there must be a reason... but that doesn't stop me from trying!
#19 of 35 Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 AM

I figured I was the only one on these boards that could not possibly reach the cervix.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#20 of 35 Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad my post has allowed other cervically challanged mamas to come out of the closet and let others know that they do not have freakishly deep vaginas or strangely short fingers just bc they are unable to reach the door at the end of the hallway.:nana:

This post has helped so much! It actually has given me some hope that birth is right around the corner. I am 42wks 1d. My cervix must be high up due to impending labor?:

#21 of 35 Old 07-30-2009, 04:53 PM

I can't find mine either, at least not anymore. I think it's too hard when the buddah belly is in the way and you're high and posterior. I make my partner check since he has longer fingers.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#22 of 35 Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM

It is sometimes hard to reach, especially if it's posterior and up and behind the baby's head. If I get into a deep squat and tilt my pelvis forward in a pelvic tilt I can usually reach it. But - admittedly, sometimes it's just too far. Thankfully once active labor starts and dilation is underway it comes back around in front and I can easily reach it to feel progress and the baby's head! That's such a wonderful feeling! It's worth it to try in early labor even if you're convinced you can't reach in the end of pregnancy. Unless, of course, your water is broken so you're practicing infection avoidance.

Also more possible is checking for it right after sex/orgasm.
#23 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 05:42 AM

During both my pregnancies my cervix completely "disappeared" after about 6 weeks.

I took it as a sign to keep my fingers out of there while pregnant since I normally check it everyday as part of trying to get pregnant.

My sister has never been able to reach hers, ever.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#24 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 12:44 PM

I'm sorry... I can't help myself...

*screaming and pointing* "FREAKS!!! With freakishly long vaginas!!!!"

Of course I fit in to this category too but I just couldn't help it.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#25 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM

-
#26 of 35 Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamerwindweb View Post
I'm sorry... I can't help myself...

*screaming and pointing* "FREAKS!!! With freakishly long vaginas!!!!"

Of course I fit in to this category too but I just couldn't help it.
:

I'm with ya. I'm here at 42wks 2d... hoping this week, but of course I say that every week.

#27 of 35 Old 08-02-2009, 09:24 AM

This is just the best thread title ever.

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#28 of 35 Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM

Hi again, I have another tip for you cervical seekers out there I was in my large corner tub the other night and was quite easily able to feel the baby's head and right up past to my cervix while in the water. My position was like a splayed kneeling, with my knees out wide and with a pelvic tilt. I know water submersion can make the dilation and effacement feel different than "on land", so do take that into consideration (often feels less dilated/effaced I believe). And at this point, fairly close to birthing I think, I could easily fit two fingers in (3.5-4cms). But it's odd because I'm not completely effaced yet, so it's like a loose turtle neck hanging there. Anyway, feeling the baby's head right there was completely awesome and really got me excited about birthing soon. I highly recommend it to lift your spirits and get you "in the mood" without all that pain stuff interfering.
#29 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 AM

at 42 weeks i couldn't reach my cervix at all. i pulled my shoulder trying to... lol. that should have told me that it probably was not meant to be! but still I tried and tried til I had my husband try - who also couldnt reach it.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#30 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamerwindweb View Post
i'm sorry... I can't help myself...

*screaming and pointing* "freaks!!! With freakishly long vaginas!!!!"

of course i fit in to this category too but i just couldn't help it.
lol

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page