checking dilation? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hadn't planned on doing any internal exams for my UC, but rather just let things happen and follow my instincts. But I read a couple stories on here recently about an early urge to push, which made me a bit nervous that I won't know if it's really time or not. Any advice/info on that would be great. What are your plans for checking dilation? and if some of you do plan on checking, any info/resources for how to check just in case would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 AM

You might find this comforting
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/RuleOf10.asp

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#3 of 16 Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
THANK YOU so much for that article! That was truly fascinating and such great new information for me!
#4 of 16 Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

I agree, i loved the article It reminded me what the whole point of UC is, at least for me... Trusting my body to guide me and to do what it was made to do. Trusting my body's wisdom over man's. It also reminded me of my previous labor experience, where it seemed at some points like bearing down (tho perhaps not pushing exactly) was almost involuntary. I feel much more relaxed now, thank you
#5 of 16 Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#6 of 16 Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM

I am proponent of UC, however, I think it is of immense importance to understand all risks/abnormals vs. normals and educate self to all the girly parts. I don't think checking is that important at all, but know what it feels like, where it is--all that good stuff; as well as being able to palpate baby and listen to its chest, check color in fingernails, etc.

Point--just learn all that you can--don't stop.

Crunchy con wife with 1 DS and 1 lil DD born in Jan. I love breastfeeding, CDing and Friday night family bed.
#7 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM

The urge to bearing down as feels good is your body cuing you to help it in some way. It may be to help position the baby or dilate the cervix. I had these bearing down urges even before labor began, and they felt so good to satisfy.

It's very different than the "throwing down" expulsion of the body trying to move the baby through the birth canal, which is what most people think of when they think of pushing.
#8 of 16 Old 09-15-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
The urge to bearing down as feels good is your body cuing you to help it in some way. It may be to help position the baby or dilate the cervix. I had these bearing down urges even before labor began, and they felt so good to satisfy.

It's very different than the "throwing down" expulsion of the body trying to move the baby through the birth canal, which is what most people think of when they think of pushing.
Yes, I can relate to that. Although, I never had the "urge to push" during the pushing stage, I did feel like bearing down during contractions towards the end of my labor and it really helped move my baby down the birth canal and helped ease the pain to a degree. The only time I ever "checked myself" during labor was after my water broke while I was sitting on the toilet, I wanted to be sure the cord didn't prolapse, but all I felt was the soft wrinkly skin of my baby's scalp, fully engaged. Whew! I don't plan on doing cervical checks this time either. I tried to check my cervix when I was pregnant and couldn't reach it. Everyone's body/speed of progress is so different, I wouldn't think that doing cervical checks would tell me a whole lot, and might increase the risk of infection.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#9 of 16 Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

i didn't check. it was great. personally, i'm all for just letting it happen.
#10 of 16 Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post

Yes! My UC baby was posterior and I had small pushing urges for a long while before the real uncontrollable pushing happened. My body just gave little pushes at the end of contractions then suddenly I got on my hands and knees and my water popped. She was born in three involuntary pushes about five minutes later
Just don't take the "urge" as your cue to get the baby out, do what you feel and no more.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#11 of 16 Old 09-18-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
Yes! My UC baby was posterior and I had small pushing urges for a long while before the real uncontrollable pushing happened. My body just gave little pushes at the end of contractions then suddenly I got on my hands and knees and my water popped. She was born in three involuntary pushes about five minutes later
Just don't take the "urge" as your cue to get the baby out, do what you feel and no more.
I can definitely vouch for that!

DD was born with a HB MW. At one point in the labour I would start to bear down slightly at the peak of a contraction- not pushing, just bearing down a bit. It felt better to do it then to not do it.

MW noticed and asked, "do you need to push?" and I said i didn't know - which was true, it wasn't PUSHING but it wasn't not pushing either.

So we entered the pushing stage - nearly 2 hrs of directed pushing, most of which hurt like the dickens and I had absolutely no need or desire to do.

After reading the article linked above, I definitely had an "ah-ha" moment, and definitely know to follow my body's cues for this little guy!

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#12 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 04:04 AM

i'm not sure what my plan is... beacuse of issues with my ds i never even had any contractions with him.... so i'm unclear what im going to do.... at this point i think i'm going to try and distract myself for a while and then go into the MW office 'just to check things out real quick' have them check and then go home and mostly just trust.. i might try checking once or twice but i'm not really sure i'll have any idea of really what i'm at. :

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#13 of 16 Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 PM

I recently read an article on the same website as the above article.

It talks about how FTM's may have "pushing" urges before they are fully dilated and as long as they aren't coached to push at this time and only do what the body tells them it is fine. It really resonated with me because I started feeling pushy urges before I was 10cm (I think, my midwife-birth center- just told me after I hit 8.5 cm I could push whenever I got the urge, and didn't check me after that) and I would feel the need to do it every 3rd pressure wave or so. Technically this "phase" lasted almost 2 hours but DS's head came out super molded and I had no perineal tearing (some minor labial tearing that had a couple of stitches)

ETA: Sorry, I don't know if you are a FTM-just thought of this article in reference to pushing.
EATA: It specifically references larger babies here, my DS was 9lbs 1 oz
#14 of 16 Old 03-16-2013, 01:56 PM

One way to check without putting your hands in your Yoni is to check the external temperature of your legs. I know, I know...but it does work. As you dialate more and more, energy and heat move up towards your uterus. It is doing all the work. Blood is moving up to it so circulation will be reduced to you lower exterminities. Say you check and your foot is cold...1-2 cm; your ankle to lower calf 3-4cm; top of your calf to your knee 5-6cm. When you get above your knee you are well on your way to 8cm .

All the little tidbits can help.

Me 35 DH 37 DS (7)-- Furbabies Smoaky(15) Orion(5)

saynovax.gif ribboncesarean.gif belly.gifwinner.jpg

#15 of 16 Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM

In my doula training I've learned how to check dilation based on a dark line that forms on your butt crack(for lack of proper terms lol). This would take your partner or anyone else you may have for labor support to learn, but it's easy, quick, and non invasive.

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#16 of 16 Old 03-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Here's a good article on the purple line:

http://www.scienceandsensibility.org/?p=5547

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page