Forum Jump: 

Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From a thread on the homebirth forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymommy View Post
Just watched the show. There doctor was on holidays and so they just decided last minute to have a homebirth since she didn't want any of the other doctors.

They asked their bradly instructor if she would still doula for them even if they were going to do it themselves at home and so she was there with homebirth supplies!

So not only a homebirth but a last minute let's stay home and pretty much unassisted! Wow! I was almost in tears! The first thing I did was log on here!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1147264

I think it's pretty awesome!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 AM

With the HB supplies it kinda made me wonder if the bradley instructor is an under the radar mw.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:29 AM

it was still pretty awesome and i love that it seemed so natural and normal. i think for a tv show it was a really nice presentation. it made me teary.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:32 AM

i saw them via satellite on the view yesterday and Barbara Walters tried to ask them about the birth (saying something like "so, you had the baby at their house) but other people started talking and i don't think the duggars could really hear the questions they were being asked so it was never discussed but i'd been wondering about it being a homebirth.

glad to hear it was

::
Old 10-14-2009, 07:25 AM

I think it is so cool!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:35 AM

Awww, good for her, I'm so glad it sounds like she had a good birth experience!

Me and DH ...lovin' DD dust.gif(6/08) and DS kid.gif(11/09) Plus NEW BABY!! DD baby.gif (UC-5/12) We heartbeat.gif Water Birth/Homebirth/No Vax or Circ/BF/BW/Country Livin'! chicken3.gif

Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM

So I've been thinking about this more than I probably should be , but I really think there was a midwife there who did not want to be on camera. DEM are legal in AR, so there wouldnt be a reason for the doula to be under the radar. It is unlikely that as a doula she would have had all the supplies either, unless she is at least an apprentice. Also, several new reports that came out the next day stated they had a homebirth with both a midwife and a doula present. I am conflicted on whether or not I think the decision was really that last minute, but I have to wonder if they knew that none of the other doctors in the practice would allow it to be filmed. I think, though, that it is really unusual for a couple to just decide during labor to stay home, unless they had been at least slightly on the fence about a possible homebirth already. Maybe they had talked to the midwife who refused to be filmed earlier in the pregnancy and when their doctor was out of town they compromised with her that she could stay off camera. Remember, Michelle Duggar had a couple homebirths herself, so they most likely had a bit of a relationship with a local midwife. Maybe it was a compromise with their Dr, to make it look like she knew nothing about it since they had been seeing her during the pregnancy and that is an awkward position to put her in where she is still taking care of Michelle, etc. can you just see the questions? So you support Josh and Anna having a homebirth???

Either way, it was a great birth and very well done by TLC.

Sorry, i just noticed this was the UC board, I was just searching for threads about this since I have been thinking about it all night long. I hope it is okay to post this here.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM

I didn't realize what time it was and misse it. What was it called? What I'm seeing on TLC for clips of Anna and Josh say Duggars a New Generation or something. Is that what it was called or just the clips to distinguish?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama7 View Post
So I've been thinking about this more than I probably should be , but I really think there was a midwife there who did not want to be on camera.

ITA about everything you said, especially the part about thinking about it too much. lol

Anyway, a spur-of-the-moment UC just doesn't seem to make sense giving what we saw.

Someone was checking her dilation and I just can't believe that they didn't have some kind of HB plan. It just doesn't make sense. I would really like to understand what happened.... oh I wish I didn't care!
Old 10-14-2009, 04:45 PM

It doesn't matter to me if it was a UC or midwife assisted....What great exposure for homebirth! I love it.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

I don't think it was a filming issue, Michelle has had several of her births filmed in the hospital. I've been spending way too much time thinking about this too.

In any case, it looked like a relatively peaceful birth, so yay for them.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
Old 10-14-2009, 06:55 PM

I don't usually watch the show but I had to tune in for the homebirth. Awesome!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

I don't watch the show either, but I read a magazine article about them a few years ago, and I thought, "Wow, what an awesome family!" I also admire Anna for choosing to have a homebirth, whether it was a UC or not. I didn't know that DEMs are illegal in Arkansas, but that would def. explain the incongruences in the story! I wish I'd had the gumption to go against the flow and choose a homebirth when I had my first baby @ 21 yrs old!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 PM

ok did anyone watching the show catch that the location they did their bradly classes at was a medical office and the doctor's name on the door was the same last name as the instructor (imprompto doula?) it started with a f, wife? daughter? sister? hmmm.

Also when they were filming at times it seemed like there was possibly another person there, so who knows? Maybe the MW didnt want to be on camera y/k. But they definately said doula and midwife they also had mentioned that they had talked about possibly doing a homebirth, but I dont think it was a UC.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM

The hemostats and cord scissors and the scale made me really think there was a midwife or the doula is an unlicensed midwife or something. I just don't think it was spur of the moment. We planned our UC for months and didn't have a scale like that! Anyhow, doesn't matter. At least daddy (Josh Duggar) caught and it was fairly calm.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM

According to CNN they had a midwife and a doula: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/10/0...ild/index.html
Old 10-15-2009, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv-my-boys View Post
...But they definately said doula and midwife ....
But maybe they meant that they had a doula and midwife who were the same person I'm thinking about this way too much! It just doesn't make sense
Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 PM

Hi, we're not currently hosting celebrity discussion/gossip. We are hosting discussion about actual television shows. Here is a thread for further discussion: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1147264 Sorry for the inconvenience. Please PM me with any questions, thank you

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List