So, let's talk herbs & supplements. Which are you using? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that one of the things I've researched most extensively yet got the least out of was herbs. I honestly don't know what I'm going to get, should get, etc... On one hand, I don't want to have too much, and on the other hand, I want to be well prepared.

I know that there are some herbs soley used for excessive bleeding, and there are some for retained and stubborn placentas..

What does your kit of herbs and tinctures contain? Did you have a higher risk of PPH or PPH in the past? Anyone out there that can attest to these herbs working for you personally? I'm just really stumped, I've made many lists and trash them all because I'm a bit indecisive.

Another thing I was wondering about was supplements. I've seen people with Evening Primrose Oil in their kits as well as RRL tea. Are there any other teas out there?

Thanks in advance mamas

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2009, 05:01 PM

I'm definately no expert on this either mama, but I will tell you what I've got and plan on using.

I will start with RRL tea in my 3rd trimester. I also have some Hemhalt to help control bleeding after delivery, some Placenta Out, and some Labor Aid.

I will also be getting some herbal bath stuff to take a herbal bath with baby after the birth. It helped my daughter to relax and to heal my tissues, so it was a godsend to have. I also saved a pitcherful of the herbal bath water (got before we hopped in) to fill and refill a peri bottle to squirt on the vaginal area everytime I needed to urinate. It really helped so that there wasn't any burning, and helped heal the area very quickly too.

I hope that helps!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:25 PM

Here is my list:

Drinking RRL tea everyday since the third trimenster began.

Taking Alfalfa tablets (slowly increasing my dosage everyday until it is two every meal and two before bed) to help with vitamin K and to help prevent hemmorage.

Purchased Angelica (Dong quai) 2 oz to help before placenta is out

As well as Shepherd's Purse (2 oz) to help when placenta is out.

I did have some bleeding issues that I would rather not repeat, so I am really hoping that the midwife I spoke with is correct and I will have no bleeding problems at all since I will be taking the Alfalfa.

And I know it's not an herb, but thought I would include the purchase of grapefruit seed extract liquid (4oz) to purify the pool water and EO's like tea tree oil, eucalyptus, and lemon.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 PM

I have rescue remedy already....somewhere... I need to look for it!
I also have Evening Primrose Oil already. I usually take it in the winter because it helps my skin.

My list of essentials is angelica and shepherds purse.

For the want part of my list I have arnica, crampbark, and a sitz bath. If I can find a decent price with decent shipping then I might look into it, but otherwise I won't bother.

I had a homebirth with a MW before, had no herbs at all, and everything went fine so the 2 for placenta and bleeding are just for my peace of mind. I'd be surprised if I used them.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:22 PM

I made cayenne tincture, angelica tincture and Shepard's purse tincture for my UC. Cayenne and shepard's purse were for PPH and I had read somewhere about giving a diluted drop of cayenne to an unresponsive baby so I wanted it on hand for that. I only used the angelica (for retained placenta) and it definitely causes contractions, yikes, I took tylenol with it (lol after an unmedicated 26hr back labor). My placenta came out at home after 10 hours. Crampbark is the only other herb I'd include in a birth kit. RRLT is a given, I drank it everyday throughout my whole pg, increasing the amount throughout and for labor I made RRLT popsicles and I can't even describe how great they were.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM

angelica and shepherd's purse were helpful for me. I found that www.inhishands.com has a good selection of birth tinctures, although I got mine from random places. I did get my sitz bath herbs from them and some misc supplies and I was satisfied. They shipped quickly as well.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 11-05-2009, 04:48 PM

A friend suggested Crampbark to me, so I'll get some of that. Did anyone here start the RRL tea early on, or should it only be used during the 3rd trimester?

I've never had any bleeding issues, and there were no herbs with our homebirth with the MW. Our doula did have lots of essential oils though.

I know I want some sitz bath. I think that will really help this time around. Princess parts can stay tender for a while.

mama to my two girls 12/04 5/07 and #3 due in May/June
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM

I've been drinking about a quart of RRL and Nettle infusion a day for the past two years and it has definitely made a difference in this pg over my last two.
It's most noticeable in the BH ctx. I had them with my last two and they were very painful.
This time they are much stronger and more frequent, but painless.
I often don't realize that I'm having them until I try to do something that rapidly changes my position in the middle of one... like I'll stand up and feel a really strong pull and discomfort with the maneuver... or try to bend over, etc.

Aimee CageFreeFamily
Mama to Quinn 7, Nichola 3, & Simone 5wk
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, some more questions, so sorry!

Here is what I've kind of narrowed it down to.

Labor:
-Emergen-C I love this stuff. How much should I be drinking, or really, how much is too much?

After birth:
-For retained placenta:
-Placenta Out I'm now questioning this because I see that there is sheperd's purse in it. I've read that sheperd's purse should NOT be given when placenta is still in because it could make it stick.. so.. any advice on this? Is Placenta Out okay or should I just do Dong Quai and Blue Cohosh in conjunction instead?? And if I DO do dong quai and blue cohosh, how do I take it? What is the dose?

-For bleeding:
-HemHalt Can this be used if placenta is still in and I'm bleeding? It contains blue cohosh, and so does the Placenta Out. I'd assume that if I'm bleeding terribly that I'd want to take both, but I'm not sure if that's safe.-Sheperd's Purse (after placenta is out). What is the dosage on this in the tincture form?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM

With red raspberry leaf you just make an infusion (like tea) and drink it. With the tinctures you're going to take them with a dropper under the tongue.
ETA: You can start RRLT right at the beginning, it's good even before pg. Just start slow and increase it every few weeks. I made pregnancy tea and RRLT in a pitcher together and just slowly increased the rrlt and backed off of the other until I was on straight rrlt.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

Old 01-25-2010, 07:53 PM

subbing. I like this thread a lot and want the answers to OP's questions!

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Old 01-31-2010, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

I've got a ton of RRLT left over after being pregnant- can I drink it while breastfeeding? Otherwise I'll put it up on the FSOT. Along with my Shepherd's Purse and Placenta Out.. (failed UC).

Anywho, wanted to thank everyone who replied to this

Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM

I will be buying:

Motherwort - for after the baby is birthed (its good for afterpains too)
'Angelica' (though we call it something different in this country! lol) - If the placenta seems 'retained' and
Shephards Purse - for after the birth of the placenta - for any post bleeding that looks a bit much. (though I will also be eating some raw placenta as well after the birth of the placenta)

I am currently just taking dandelion root for water retention (I am 29 weeks pregnant) - and next week will start RRL to tone up my uterus!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 01-31-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
I've got a ton of RRLT left over after being pregnant- can I drink it while breastfeeding?
Yes. It helps to boost milk supply and is helpful in reducing after pains.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome then I have a ton left over and it's so yummy to me now

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 PM

I'm hoping someone out there does have insight into the placenta out question, as I'm about to buy this and would like to know. Should SP be taken before placenta is out to GET the placenta out?

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 PM

my understanding of SP is that you take it AFTER the placenta is out to help stop PPH.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM

And just to mention that if you are kept warm postpartum (reducing adrenaline and enhancing oxytocin) and is baby skin-to-skin on belly/chest with an unhindered birth you are less likely to need these herbs or any other intervention for 3rd stage.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

User Tag List