Hiring a doula for a UC? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do think that if you draw up a contract of some sort you release the said doula from responsibility of doing anything beyond her scope of practice.

I DO think it *can* be a leap to see a doula as practicing any sort of medical way depending, because some doulas I know know nada about the MW side of birth... just simply about physical and emotional support. I am going to be a homebirth MW one day (hopefully) so I know quite a bit more - but I would still ask for a contract.

The truth of it settles that some doulas would be open to it, others not. Both of our doulas had to think about it for a few days, but they were both thrilled to support us. It was one of the best experiences we ever had - I highly suggest a doula if you want one. For us, it gave us the peace of mind that if any of the labors were like our 48+hour first one, DH wouldn't have to be on point the entire time.

Mama to 4 amazing little people, another little expected 3/6/12!
Avid Unassisted Birth supporter/Mama

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninejessica View Post
If you want a doula to do 'doula things'... then go for it! Even if it's not a trained doula, that doesn't mean they're not a doula. A doula simply put is someone who 'mothers the mother'- she's there to support you while you give birth, whether she's your mother, your best friend, a fellow UC'er or someone you met on the street.
We asked my friend to be there for Henry's birth. We originally just wanted her to videotape and photograph so as to leave my husband and my daughter free to just BE in the moment... she has been a doula for many of her friends, but I made it clear that she was only to be there as photographer unless I asked for something else in the moment. She ended up being FAR more support than I ever thought we would need... as my labor dragged on for days, she supported my husband and I. It was definitely nice to have her here. I used to dream of a solo birth... but now I know that I love having family and friend energy around me during birth.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#33 of 35 Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirthFree View Post
I do think that if you draw up a contract of some sort you release the said doula from responsibility of doing anything beyond her scope of practice.

I DO think it *can* be a leap to see a doula as practicing any sort of medical way depending, because some doulas I know know nada about the MW side of birth... just simply about physical and emotional support. I am going to be a homebirth MW one day (hopefully) so I know quite a bit more - but I would still ask for a contract.

The truth of it settles that some doulas would be open to it, others not. Both of our doulas had to think about it for a few days, but they were both thrilled to support us. It was one of the best experiences we ever had - I highly suggest a doula if you want one. For us, it gave us the peace of mind that if any of the labors were like our 48+hour first one, DH wouldn't have to be on point the entire time.

yep. exactly!

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#34 of 35 Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 AM

I'm a doula and I support UC, though I haven't had the privilege yet.  I think if it was my own birth, I would want to have the freedom to be totally alone, have a female companion, have my husband there, or whatever else was working for me in the moment. 

That being said, I do have limits - I would only feel comfortable working with clients who had good prenatal care and an uncomplicated pregnancy, and were well educated in normal birth and how to recognize when things were going weird.   Most people I have met who consider UC are way more educated on birth than average, so I don't think that would be a problem!

(eta: sorry to post in such an ancient thread!  I hadn't realized it was so old :)

Birth Doula in Los Angeles

www.gentledoula.com

#35 of 35 Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 PM

I had a doula (she was also a friend so it was like a female friend for support) for my UC and she and I both knew she wasn't acting as a "midwife".  She did labor support.  Lots of hip squeezes and counter pressure while my DH did things like keep the kids busy and put hot water in the pool from the stove. I liked it. It was an extra pair of hands to help.  When the time came to pushing she just sat back and took pictures and we did the rest.  It was great for us!

Katie - Mama to E1 (7, c/s), E2 (5, c/s), E3 (3, VBA2C), E4 (1, UC)
...expecting another princess in March/April

Questions about VBAC? PM me!

ICAN Chapter Leader

cd.gif ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gif uc.jpg hbac.gif h20homebirth.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page