DH completely opposed, would you UC anyway? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My midwife just took an extended leave of absence for personal reasons (not sure what is going on). I was planning on a hospital birth with a midwife. I had that with my DD and it went well. I'm not opposed to birthing in a hospital with my midwife.

Well now I don't have my midwife.

My care has been transferred to an OB who is super super super intervention friendly, very much the MEDICAL model of care pregnancy/child birth is a MEDICAL EVENT which must be treated within an inch of it's life. Or a GP (they share call, I could get either 1...it's a crapshoot) who does childbirth. She is slightly (slightly slightly) LESS intervention happy and has SLIGHTLY less of a God complex going on but still VERY MUCH Medical model. Very much that unless everything in labor is 1000% text book it is a medical event and requires immediate medical intervention.

So...

My labors aren't text book. My water breaks, I hang out for a while...then a couple hours later I'll start having contractions. From there my ctx are less than 2 minutes apart and the baby is born in no time flat.

Well I'm sure neither dr will be okay with my plans. I'm sure they won't adhere to my wishes.

I have an appt with the GP next week to get the GBS test and I will go over my birth plan with her at that time.

The fact is I am scared to death, literally terrified a bundle of nerves and constantly on the verge of throwing up since I heard I will have to see this OB. I could just be sick. I do not want this. I don't, at all.

I don't want an OB, I chose a hospital 25 miles from our home BECAUSE they employed a midwife. There is a hospital chock full of OB's 2 miles from my front door, if I wanted an OB I'd save myself the 25 mile sprint across the county in December and go down the road 7 blocks, kwim?

Well, dh is 100% opposed. When I say 'opposed' I mean when I brought up the subject he said "No, we are not discussing it. I will not deliver the baby. I won't do it." When I mentioned having a few mama girlfriends come by to help he said "Thats fine, you have them over, I'll go to the bar. You can call me when you're done killing the baby." Honest to goodness.

I don't know what to do.

Whose fears win here?

I'm 100% okay with a UC...when I think about just doing a UC...not dealing with the OB and stuff I loose that sick feeling in my stomach, I don't feel as worried or uptight...I see it as the perfect alternative.

But if I UC DH will be scared to death and worried.

Who gets to be worried?

A homebirth midwife would be an alternative, but I have 5 weeks or less. I live in Iowa, homebirth is basically unheard of...I have no idea how to go about finding one in the next 30 days. Plus we don't have a penny to our names, I have no way of paying for one...I couldn't even make payments our money is too tight each month.

Help??

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#2 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Honestly I think this is one of those decisions where if both partners are not onboard (having a UC) I wouldn't be able to do it. I know if I went ahead and did that without my DH's support it would really drive a wedge into our marriage and I don't think any birth choice is worth risking my marriage and our trust in each other.
#3 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 04:08 PM

I would really try to force your husband to open up about his fears. I understand that he's worried, but as mom you are there to protect yourself and your child. And I'm afraid, that most hospitals don't care about your interests. It's possible to have a great birth, sure, but it's something you're really going to have to fight for. Well, it's sounds like it's something you may have to fight for either way. Anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I were you then I would sit my husband down and tell him why I want to UC and ask him why he's so afraid and see what I could do to alleviate his fears.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#4 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
If he remains opposed after your best, most diplomatic attempts at swaying his views, then no, I would not do a UC without his approval.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#5 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 05:01 PM

No, I wouldn't. Why not just hang out at home, after your water breaks, until you're ready to go in?

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#6 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 05:11 PM

I can understand, to a degree, your DH's fears and even though my DH is 100% on board with our MW assisted home birth, I don't think he would be too cool with UC.

That being said, why not do like Kathryn suggested, just stay home as long as you are comfortable. Then, just go into the hospital closest to home with DH ready to go to bat for you and your wishes.

That would be the discussion to have with him. Ok, fine, you are not cool with UC? Then I need you in my corner 110% with not letting the OB's push us around and force interventions on us.

Granted, not the best scenario but could be a compromise.

Oh, and why not look for a natural childbirth friendly OB (few and far between but they do exist) that attends the hospital close to home. You have a month, use it as best you can.

Best of luck to you!
#7 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to look into fully transfering my care. My first DS was born at the hospital nearest my house and they were constantly pushing formula, despite my refusals they kept pushing it. I will have to call and see if there are any OBs there taking new patients, especially a 35-week pregnanct patient. *sigh* I don't know if any of them are 'natural' friendly...I'll ask around.

DH won't be a good advocate. He has no backbone when it comes to 'authority' figures, he doesn't see an 'issue' with certian things.

With my first DS (OB in the hospital closest to us) the doctor used a long tool to shove a cervix lip out of the way despite my BEGGING him not to. I begged DH to make them stop (it hurt like hell) but he won't really stand up to doctors, he figures they know best.

I don't know if I can depend on him.

I have a friend who MIGHT be able to help me, but she has a very young newborn so I don't know if she'd be able to leave her...and the hospital closest to us has a strict NO CHILDREN allowed rule going on now due to H1N1 and the hospital in the other town, I don't know if they will recognize her as an authority figure...

I would love to go to the midwifery practice in the city but it's over an hour away, I don't know if we'd make it. My labor with DD was 3 hours long...depending on the roads it could take upwards of 2 hours to get into the city (longer when you factor in us having to drive to my mom or a friends house to drop off our older 2)
I'm honestly scared to DEATH of going in there and waging battle with this OB. Never been more frightened in my LIFE...

this sucks...

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#8 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM

2 things:

1. Yes, I would UC with or without my partner. It's my body, and I am the one who lives very personally, forever, with what happens at birth. I would want someone there to give me a hand, but it would not have to be my partner. Birth is women's business, and IMO it is a man's job to support what makes his woman feel the most safe at birth--or go the bar and drink w/his buddies until the birth is over (or whatever his equivalent is...)--get himself and his fear OUT OF MY WAY.

2. Neither set of fears should 'win'. I can see being freaked out about having to deal with a highly medicalized birth after having birthed naturally and peacefully, and upset to think you might also have to deal with interference with your babe. That would really bug me, too. But if you are going to UC, or even have a hb w/a midwife, you need to be at peace with the actual decision, not running from fear. Your fear will only come with you and invade your UC.

Hopefully your dh will get over his initial emotional reaction, and come to a willingness to explore this with you openly. He does NOT have to 'deliver the baby'--YOU will be doing that. You and he both might want him to help catch the baby as it emerges--though it's not strictly necessary--but a dh at birth is NOT taking on the role of Dr, midwife, anything except his loving partner self.

And, just to put a different perspective out there--it is sometimes said that a woman who chooses a birth plan against her partner's willingness is 'driving a wedge into the relationship'. But I have to ask--isn't that partner the one 'driving the wedge', by refusing to openly engage in becoming informed about birth, by refusing becoming actively responsible at birth (in some way, even if not UC), by forcing his woman to choose 'me or the birth you want', by imposing his masculine will over an entirely feminine matter? To me, a good relationship is cooperative, and BOTH partners must feed a spirit of cooperation, respect and mutual support. I for one would not want a man who imposed his will over me that way (on the basis of fear, especially!). You can 'preserve' the relationship through capitulation...you can keep the man and 'keep the peace' (at a high price)--but you sure can't make it a real partnership that way. JMO
#9 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 07:53 PM

If your husband is the exact OPPOSITE of support (anyone who can stand around while you beg them for help and to stop something that's hurting you is not someone I want in my corner) then you need to either hire a doula or tell him that his complete inability to help you make safe and healthy choices for the birth of your child means that you need to make the best decisions for you AND your baby.

Or hell, bring your mom in with you, or anyone who you know can stick up for you. I'd probably pick my mom over my husband any day if I was dealing with medical authority figures. My mom would definitely go to bat for me- she'd tackle the doctor if she thought it was necessary to keep him away from me.

It will be hard to be sure about the UC decision and know you're not approaching it from fear instead of a decisivness that "this is right." Fear can be a good motivator to pointing us where our hearts wanted to go anyway, but if you're approaching it from fear then it's easy for another fear to supersede it.

I also absolutely agree with MsBlack. I can't say it better then her, so I'll just say

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#10 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
No, I wouldn't. Why not just hang out at home, after your water breaks, until you're ready to go in?
I would go this route as well, if you couldn't get the homebirth with a midwife (which I would still try for)...if you stay home until your contractions are good and strong, and if you can figure out how far along you are, than you can try and go in once things have a good pace. Also, I would talk to him about how if you're compromising for him, you'll need him to be your supporter when people start throwing interventions at you that you're not cool with.

I really believe that these decisions need to consider both parents. I realize that the mother is the one giving birth, but it's unfair to force a partner to agree to things they're not comfortable with, and it can be dangerous for you if things start to go south, since he won't be fully on board and in the moment. Good luck.
#11 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
And, just to put a different perspective out there--it is sometimes said that a woman who chooses a birth plan against her partner's willingness is 'driving a wedge into the relationship'. But I have to ask--isn't that partner the one 'driving the wedge', by refusing to openly engage in becoming informed about birth, by refusing becoming actively responsible at birth (in some way, even if not UC), by forcing his woman to choose 'me or the birth you want', by imposing his masculine will over an entirely feminine matter? To me, a good relationship is cooperative, and BOTH partners must feed a spirit of cooperation, respect and mutual support. I for one would not want a man who imposed his will over me that way (on the basis of fear, especially!). You can 'preserve' the relationship through capitulation...you can keep the man and 'keep the peace' (at a high price)--but you sure can't make it a real partnership that way. JMO

:
why should it be the mum who has to back down, after all it isn't the dad who will be getting unwanted/un-needed interventions forced on him.

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#12 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 08:58 PM

I have to say, I most definitely agree with MsBlack.

It's your body. Your DH isn't the one subjecting himself to abuse by hospital staff.

Nursing bras should not double as birth control!
#13 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 09:57 PM

I would absolutely UC, despite DH.

I would NEVER allow an OB such as the one you mentioned near me unless I had no choice or a medical emergency that required care.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#14 of 38 Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Honestly I think this is one of those decisions where if both partners are not onboard (having a UC) I wouldn't be able to do it. I know if I went ahead and did that without my DH's support it would really drive a wedge into our marriage and I don't think any birth choice is worth risking my marriage and our trust in each other.

Why is the OB at the hospital the default? That should be the decision that both people would have to agree on in order for it to happen. Submitting yourself to a high likelyhood of dangerous interventions to appease SOMEONE ELSE'S fears seems like it should not be the go-to choice unless both partners agree it is for the best. If my dh assumed that I would do that and refused to discuss any alternative I would assume he had no respect for me, my body, our baby, and my wishes. THAT would drive a wedge in our marriage for sure.

So yes, I obviously would birth UC even if my dh was opposed to the idea. It would be up to HIM to prove that it was the unsafe choice and we would only discuss it in a calm, rational manner if he had done some research or wanted to ask me questions about why I felt it to be the proper course of action. Otherwise I would assume that he wouldn't have chosen to create a new life with me unless he trusted me to gestate and birth in the safest possible manner and I would be the one to make the choices regarding my body and the baby I was carrying.

Ultimately this is something only you can decide. It is only up to you what you are comfortable with and what you are willing to sacrifice to make the birth the best it can be *for you*. I am sorry you are in a position to have to make these choices so late in your pregnancy! I hope you can find some peace in your decision whatever it may be

#15 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
I would love to go to the midwifery practice in the city but it's over an hour away, I don't know if we'd make it. My labor with DD was 3 hours long...depending on the roads it could take upwards of 2 hours to get into the city (longer when you factor in us having to drive to my mom or a friends house to drop off our older 2)
I'm honestly scared to DEATH of going in there and waging battle with this OB. Never been more frightened in my LIFE...

this sucks...
How about getting in the car the moment your water breaks? Have your mother meet you on the way to take the kids.
#16 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post

1. Yes, I would UC with or without my partner. It's my body, and I am the one who lives very personally, forever, with what happens at birth. I would want someone there to give me a hand, but it would not have to be my partner. Birth is women's business, and IMO it is a man's job to support what makes his woman feel the most safe at birth--or go the bar and drink w/his buddies until the birth is over (or whatever his equivalent is...)--get himself and his fear OUT OF MY WAY.

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#17 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 12:48 AM

Oh, so many thoughts, but I am sorry that you are in this situation. I would be worried too. Random responses....

IF it seems like the hospital is the best plan (for money and DH, but maybe not for you) then I would quickly find a doula that can fight for you at the hospital. Obviously your DH can't--and some people just aren't assertive enough--but you need to know that someone is running interference for you. That might make the intervention happy docs seems less intimidating.

That said, it is your body and you experience labor. Intense fear on your part is not going to help you. You need to feel at peace with whatever decision you make. I agree with others that a conversation with DH is in order--for you to understand his thoughts/fears and vice versa.

http://www.friendsofiowamidwives.org/

This would be a great place to start. Many midwives will barter, too...so don't let fear of money issues keep you from getting information

Best wishes--let us know what you decide.

Single HB mama to 2!
#18 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicateflower View Post
How about getting in the car the moment your water breaks? Have your mother meet you on the way to take the kids.
My mom might be at work...there isn't really an 'on the way' at least no half way point, it would take her 15 minutes to get to the only town we'd cross paths, it'll take us 5. If my moms at work my friend wouldn't be able to, she has 3 kids herself and wouldn't be able to fit her car seats plus mine.

This hospital isn't allowing children whatsoever so no one could even sprint up after us to take the kids.

DH and I had a huge fight...he threatened to leave. I don't know what to do. I wanted a UC before I got pregnant but went the hospital with a midwife route as a compromise. Now I'm stuck with an OB and a DH who 'says' he'll advocate for me but I don't know that I trust him.

I only have 1 'crunchy' friend that could doula for me, but again she has 3 kids and her DH works LONG hour so she might not be able to make it. Plus she has a very young nursling.

I don't know what to do...I've never been more scared of anything in my entire life than I am of going into this hospital with this OB.

Hell, DH even said I'm going off my rocker about the birth and threatened to have me committed.

Either way, I have an appt the 2nd with the GP to get my GBS test...and to go over my birth plan. We'll see what she says.

It's a very small hospital, basically there is rarely a nurse in OB unless there is a patient there (not every day, I think they did like 200 births last year) otherwise there is 1 OB nurse on schedule and she goes to the ER if she's not needed in OB.

#19 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 09:04 AM

Oh dear....so sorry to hear that your dh is reacting this way, so sorry you have to deal with that right now .

Just try to find some space and peace somewhere, JamesMama--away from the stressful influences as much as possible. Find the quiet, and you will find the way to your birth. There is a little time to work with; not much, but quite possibly some weeks yet.

And you know--when I was once just a little earlier in my pregnancy than you are now, I came to a showdown with my partner. It had been coming for awhile, as I suspect is true in your marriage as well. I had already told him that I was no longer going to put up with the way he spoke to me when angry, and that he had to get help with his anger or get out. He 'went there' one more time....and I told him, "No. I'm not listening to this. You may not speak to me that way" And I held my space.

And *he* left.

I know that late pregnancy is not the time when you want to risk being without your partner! But if your husband really loves you--and really wants to *be* a partner, then now is the time to insist that either he ACT like a partner or he step aside with his wishes about this birth. Maybe he has never acted quite this ferocious about any other issue...but somehow he has come to feel that he can have all the power in your relationship, even if it means behaving in an emotionally violent and manipulative way.

You might find that the best you can do *right now* is just accept his wishes for the time being, and get through this birth as best you can. Sometimes a woman has to do what she has to do in order to prevent too much upheaval all at once when she and LOs are vulnerable (like during advanced pregnancy! and the neonate time).

Either way-find that quiet, that peace where you can go forward in clear resolve about the birthplan you choose. Open your mind to help and possibilities, and just maybe you will find others to help you guys during the birth--a doula in training, someone. There is *always* another option, something you haven't thought of yet!
#20 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Right now I'm going to keep my appt with the GP on the 2nd to get my GBS test and go over my birth plan...the nurse scheduled me 'extra' time (a whopping 30 minutes vs their standard 15 minutes, I feel so cared about) to go over my plan. I'm forcing DH to come with me to get a read off of how hostile she is going to be.

I'm also going to schedule my 37-week appt with the OB and force DH to come to that one as well and I'll go over my birth plan with her as well....get a read of how hostile she is going to be.

In the meantime I have a couple of leads for having a midwife birth, either at home (which dh is semi-open to) or at a midwifery practice in the city. I don't even know if they'll take me this late in the game, but they're Plan B. Plan A is the homebirth midwife if I can round one up. I have a few leads, I'm going to sniff them out and see where they pan out. I'd prefer NOT deliver at the midwifery practice in the city because they're attached to a major hospital and this hospital has banned kids and everything and it's an hour away and I don't know how we'd arrange care for the kids for that long if H has to work.

I'm also going to probably talk to DH about one of my friends coming to be 2nd in command to fight for my rights if I do end up with this OB.

I flat out told him last night that he is forcing me into a situation where I feel afraid and powerless and where I stand a good chance of being physically and emotionally damaged. I told him I don't want the OB, I don't want that model of care. I don't want to have interventions forced on me or be harrassed because I decline. I told him I'm scared to death that the OB/GP will hurt me on PURPOSE because I'll be pissing them off. Then I told him that he is 100% responsible for making sure that (barring an actual medical emergency) my birth plan is followed to a T. He is to tell them "She does not consent to a hep-lock" when they try to force it. He is to tell them NO, we do not consent when they try to force monitoring. He is to tell them to suck it when I climb in the tub broken waters and all. I told him I will likely be contracting every 1-2 minutes (like I have in both previous births) so I will be unable to speak for myself. HE is responsible for speaking for me and making sure they don't hurt me.

He swears up and down he will make sure they don't force anything on me...so we'll see...

#21 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Just wanted to add that I UC'd and dh was against it... I told him early on in the pregnancy and that helped so that with some time it had a chance to sink in. I showed him other homebirths and also tried to show him some hospital births that so he'd understand the difference for me and the baby. He never really read up on it though and wasn't a support person, he just distanced himself from me and the pregnancy. My mom on the other hand was unsure as well but studied up and became more and more sure of it and was the one helping me while I was pushing (though I was sitting on the floor and leaning against dh).

His view afterwards changed to some degree, he wasn't an advocate for UC but he was no longer against it or saw me as a crazy woman for wanting it.

Now I'm preggo again and due in another week, this little one will be a UC as well and this time dh, though has his concerns is very excited this time around. He has even been doing some reading about it and comes to me about articles he reads about how more babies die in the US than anywhere else despite the larger amount of money that is invested in maternity "care". I will be trying to make sure he is the one to catch (my mom caught last time).

So yes, I did do it without dh being on board and would do it again. Me and the baby are the ones who stand to lose from a hospital birth. Dh was simply projecting his uneducated fears on me and the birth.

Sometimes it helps to not only show the positive home birth stories or videos but the bad hospital ones as well, it's important to have a full view. There is one video that has the fathers perspective of the hospital births and it's very touching how much it affected them to stand by helplessly and watch the doctors force their hospital policy on their newborns and wives... this is of course since they had no idea they had a right to stand up for those rights.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#22 of 38 Old 11-27-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

The thing is that his sister, his cousin and his sister-in-law all had HORRIBLE experiences with an OB in the hospital.

His sister and his cousin both ended up with GBS, even after testing negative at the 36 week visit. Both were induced. Both had their baby with a broken collar bone. Both had their baby has to be resuscitated after birth. His sister's baby spend a week in the NICU. All this WITH an OB. He refuses to see that perhaps the OB caused 98% of the issues.

His sister in law was given an Epi the minute she walked in the door then (surprise surprise) her bp crashed, she did not progress, baby's heart rate started to crash (she was not properly hydrated prior to getting the epi) and she had to have an emergency c-section.

He has all the horror stories all within the last 3 years.

He figures since DS was fine with an OB and DD 'almost died' (cord tightly around her neck) with a midwife that makes the decision.

I'm going to call around and see if I can round up a homebirth midwife. I told DH that we'll just have to figure out how to pay for it if I can find one. He said that's okay, he just wants someone who knows what they are doing here. I can respect that I suppose. I just hope I'm able to find someone between now and then. I called a woman who used to be a midwife at our local hospital (she left in October when the OB came on staff) but she's not in the office today. I'll call back Monday. She's VERY VERY VERY gung-ho about natural birth, was going to show me how to do an unassisted birth since my labors are so fast...I might be able to beg her to come to my house. We'll see. If she hears that the other midwife jumped ship and I'm stuck with the OB she might take pity on me. She was pretty anti-this OB, and a she knows my desire for a normal birth so...I'll beg or at least ask her to point me in the direction of someone else willing. If need be I'll leave her name off everything (she is a CNM) and do it completely off the grid, I don't care. DH said that's okay so long as there is someone here...I told him we might have to lie and say he did it (if we can found up a CPM) and he said he'd do that...he has no issues with lying so long as he doesn't have to actually DO it.

#23 of 38 Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Yay for you, woman!

I am SO happy for you, that you are not just caving-in to Dh's fear, but are standing up, telling him how you feel and what the possible effects of his choice are, insisting that he help you--oh, all that. This is wonderful to see!

Whatever happens now--wherever you birth, with whichever kind of care, I think you'll have the best, safest experience possible for you/baby. I mean, for your sake I sure will say a prayer for a hb-helper to materialize for you, of course! But it is your empowered attitude that will make all the difference, whatever the other details of your birth end up being.

You go!
#24 of 38 Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 PM

I too think that it is up to the person birthing but do realize that if he is threatening things then it is stressful for you and hurts you. I hope that you're helped!
#25 of 38 Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 AM

This was sort of my situation, I haven't UCed yet and my DH is mostly on board, he's really birth-phobic and I found that us having in depth talks about what was going on and his fears has helped us a great deal.

We went from him threatening to call 911 and lie to them as soon as I began having ctx and other such BS to him being very supportive (except for his occasional points of regression... which are minor and I hope dissapear before the birth).

Ours was very last minute as well, 33-34wks I made the decision.

If I were you I wouldn't let those doctors near me Sorry your midwife had to go on leave.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#26 of 38 Old 12-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

i have to say that your dialoguing is great to read about. i'm glad that there is a process here.

to answer the initial question--your fears win. your body will be going through this, you are the one who has the greatest chance of injury, and you are the one bearing the emotional responsibility either way (even if the doctor "takes" it from you). thus, your fears win over his.

if you cannot find a homebirth midwife, you might be able to find a retired midwife or unlicensed one who will back you up. they may not attend the birth, but that's ok too.

if your husband feels the need to go to a bar, then you can solo UC or have a few mamas over for emotional (etc) support.
#27 of 38 Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM

To answer your original question, no I would not UC if my husband was that mad about it. Not to cave to his fears, but I would be upset if I knew my husband was so scared about it.
I am glad you have been able to talk with your husband more on the issue. When you go to your prenatal appts you might be able to see if he is willing to step up there. Try testing the dr and see how your husband reacts.
I hope you can find a midwife. I think that is a good compromise.
I just want to point out that if you do end up with a hospital birth, you could leave several hours after the birth if you are up to it, and then yo udont' have to worry about them trying to sneak formula to your baby!
#28 of 38 Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Just want to say, hope it works out! DP wasn't on board before my 1st UC, but was totally on board by #2 - it's a process and you can't force it, keep working on him! If you can find a midwife, great! Sometimes it's hard to find one because they are "underground" so to speak and don't advertise ect. Keep us updated!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#29 of 38 Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaHenErin View Post
To answer your original question, no I would not UC if my husband was that mad about it. Not to cave to his fears, but I would be upset if I knew my husband was so scared about it.

Probably even more so than the above, I wouldn't want to try to UC in an non supportive environment, which my home would most likely be if my husband was against it. I can't even imagine what a tense, uncomfortable situation that would be.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

#30 of 38 Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 AM

If he is absolutely balking about UC and you can't do it without him, but he can't advocate for you, GET A DOULA. He should have no problem paying a doula, if you're compromising for his wishes. Were I you, I wouldn't go to that hospital without a doula.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page