Well, UC is pretty much our only option now! -update post 20- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had decided to UC awhile back, but I wasn't UPing. I was seeing a wonderful group of midwives at a local hospital (they had no knowledge of my intentions to UC). I got a letter in the mail stating my insurance would be cut off on December 11th if I did not provide proof of blah blah blah.... long story short, I am being refused insurance (I use public aid) until I can provide a notarized letter from our "landlord" which is DH's parents saying that we live in a seperate apt. with a front and back exit. Which we don't have.. we've got one exit, in the rear.

SO.. unless they magically dig a hole and put a door there, I'm not entitled to insurance. DD is still covered though.

As I said, I'd planned on UCing for awhile now and am totally prepared- but I'm just like "wow"... I will clearly transfer is something is wrong, I'm not stupid, but it's just strange knowing that this is how things ended up playing out anyhow.

Also- my midwife offered to strip my membranes next week- yeah, well, we won't be doing that! I kind of wanted to avoid it anyhow but I know that the irrational "get this baby out" part of me would kick in- so that's good as well!

So I'm now officially UPing from 37w5d Just had to share with my fellow UCers (and now UPers!)

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Your lack of a front door to your basement apartment is keeping you from having medical insurance???

What is this world coming to???

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

My husband's family works in construction and could easily put a door there- but with me possibly going into labor sometime soon (or not, who knows!) and birthing at home, I don't want my home full of construction dust

I guess since it's the government's money i'm trying to use to pay for my health insurance, I have to live to government standards. And it's not like I could ask them to put me in a home with 2 doors- they're not taking new people for low income housing.

My DH and I don't want to lie. There are way too many people living in this house (as a whole, not our apartment) anyhow. 9 adults including us and 6 kids if you count the one I'm expecting- all in four apartments, only two of them legal. The other illegal apartment is an attic, which is actually somehow bigger than our basement apartment! DHs cousin lives there and actually has lied and said she lives in one of the apartments under her. Anyways, so many people in our home (all family) are receiving government assistance and they'd figure something fishy out anyways. I just can't wait to get back on our feet financially and MOVE away from this craziness!! DH had an auto accident in september and it set us back- not to mention the fact that we didn't live w/ eachother until june of last year (08) and had to buy a bed, fridge, everything to provide us basic furnishings..... yeah. So we're in a bit of a rut.

I just think it's kinda cool how UCing worked out anyhow

Old 12-08-2009, 07:36 PM

Wow. I guess they will deny you of insurance for anything. That's really weird!
Anyway,looking forward to reading your birth story soon

mama to my two girls 12/04 5/07 and #3 due in May/June
Old 12-08-2009, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPantherDiva View Post
Anyway,looking forward to reading your birth story soon

me too!

Old 12-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laohaire View Post
Your lack of a front door to your basement apartment is keeping you from having medical insurance???
It's not medical "insurance" but WELFARE, she stated she is/was on public aid. Medical insurance you pay for out of your own pocket directly to the insurance company (or through your employer). As long as you pay the premiums, you keep your insurance, they don't care how or where you live. To get the goverment to pay your medical costs, you have to prove that you meet all their requirements of need.

The lack of two outside access points means that it is not a "legal" apartment/seperate living space. The in-laws could get in serious trouble if they rented it out as such to anyone else for profit .

Based on the apartment complexes in my area Southern CA, the second access doesn't have to be on the oposite end of the house. We had a front door and a slider only 3 feet away that opened onto a balcony. Check the city code requirements, it may not be as difficult as it sounds. Also check the actual verbage of what the in-laws are supposed to attest to. Is it actually two "doors" or two accessible exits? An "egress" window may qualify.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:04 PM

so wait..... you can't even qualify for medicaid to cover your pregnancy? I know in VA my client's get medicaid when they are pregnant if they don't have insurance. Even if they live with relatives, the relative's income is not assessed when determining eligibility.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Old 12-08-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

I just had my case switched because I moved (case switched about a year later though). I found out when I got the letter in the mail that the OLD caseworker never put our income on the case and my husband wasn't even on the case as a person living with us! I had gotten medical coverage on our case when I was pregnant in Feb, but I miscarried. I never had to provide such proof of income even, and certainly not the proof of entrances & exits. This new caseworker insisted that I needed that and that I couldn't get coverage until I provide it- same for DH, but that's understandable. I kind of thought it was the law in IL to provide coverage for children and pregnant women, regardless.. not so sure on that but I plan on calling their office again tomorrow.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:17 PM

I too thought that they had to provide basic medical to pregnant women. Definitely keep looking into it, the caseworkers may just be interpreting the requirements wrong, not to mention, not having correct information to work with.

Good Luck and looking forward to reading your birth story.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post
I just had my case switched because I moved (case switched about a year later though). I found out when I got the letter in the mail that the OLD caseworker never put our income on the case and my husband wasn't even on the case as a person living with us! I had gotten medical coverage on our case when I was pregnant in Feb, but I miscarried. I never had to provide such proof of income even, and certainly not the proof of entrances & exits. This new caseworker insisted that I needed that and that I couldn't get coverage until I provide it- same for DH, but that's understandable. I kind of thought it was the law in IL to provide coverage for children and pregnant women, regardless.. not so sure on that but I plan on calling their office again tomorrow.
Well I'm assuming that things will be the same in IL as it is in VA. I am a social worker - not an eligibility worker but I think I have the main info for you. I would call your local DSS tomorrow and set up an intake appointment. For medicaid coverage you will need to provide proof of pregnancy (but that will be obvious) as well as income verification and household information. I don't understand anything about this "door" rule so let me know when you get more details. If you are renting from your DH's parents then get a blank lease and have them fill it out. If your DH is working then he needs paystubs and an employer contact and same for you. I'm pumping at the computer right now on the verge of spiling hahaha so I can write more details later, but this is just a baseline of what you should provide. Is all of that available to provide?

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
Old 12-08-2009, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

We were at the office today for two reasons

1) update my case. letter I rec'd said that my coverage would be terminated as of dec 11th 2009 if I didn't provide proof of income, proof of pregnancy if someone is pregnant, and proof of people living with me. That's really it.

2)add husband to the case.

We brought with us
-Soc Sec cards for all 3 of us
-proof of pregnancy
-birth certificates for all 3 of us
-marriage certificate
-DHs last paycheck info (which we get offline sinces hes paid direct deposit).

Caseworker lady told me that I needed to bring a notarized letter from our "landlord" which is DHs mom, stating that we live in an apartment in a building she owns and we pay x amount of rent, and that our dwelling is separate (which it is) and has two exits.

I also need to give her another pay stub because one was insufficient.

I just looked up the law and it stated that in a multiple family dwelling a basement apartment can have one exit only providing the space is smaller than 800sq ft, and I really don't know the size of the entire basement.

Thanks for the help

Old 12-08-2009, 10:49 PM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
We just decided on a UC as well, discharging our midwife today. So, we will also be UPing as well from now (36 weeks). It all feels a little sudden at this point in the pregnancy, but when it's meant to be.... Anyway, I look forward to hearing your birth story, too!

Good luck!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 12-09-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
I'm pumping at the computer right now on the verge of spiling hahaha
Know what you mean! I've been engrossed reading online and totally let the bottles run over ...

OP: Try to keep your Medicaid benefits if you can, JIC you need to transfer so you won't get stuck w/ a big bill.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 AM

Congratulations on your choosing to UC. But I do hope you find a way to keep your Medicaid, JIC. You never know what may come up. Sometimes caseworkers are difficult to please and just a pain to deal with. But hopefully everything works out well for you.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks I'm going to keep trying to figure this out, and am going to call a little later on and see what's going on, like you all said, in case of transfer. They do backdate things, so if I had some sort of complication I'm sure I could probably fight my way into some sort of coverage.

I've always found the end-of-pregnancy appointments to be the most pointless- so in a way this is a big relief today- to be able to cancel the weekly appts I had and wipe them off the dry-erase board

Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
Know what you mean! I've been engrossed reading online and totally let the bottles run over ...
WOW!! I have never been able to pump well... good for you!!!

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 12-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I never used bottles that were small enough to overflow. If I was occasionally pumping 7 ounces, I'd use an 8oz bottle on that side. I'd only pump into 4oz bottles if I was sure I woudn't go near to filling it up!

Good luck on getting the Medicaid case straightened out.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM

Good luck!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
and that our dwelling is separate (which it is) and has two exits.
I just looked up the law and it stated that in a multiple family dwelling a basement apartment can have one exit only providing the space is smaller than 800sq ft, and I really don't know the size of the entire basement.

Thanks for the help
Another thought: we had a hb in a basement apt, which only had one door, but two windows- the windows could be considered an exit, can't they? I know if we had ever had a fire they would have been used that way....You will probably have a fine birth...
Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone

I got my coverage back, and even managed to get them to start coverage on my DH who was uninsured!!

I just ended up going there with MIL and explaining to my caseworker that we only have one exit really, but that our apartments are pretty much connected. She said that was fine, and we were able to be covered. MIL is also going to be applying, she will be a separate case with her, FIL, and SIL (15yo). DH and I aren't eligible for food stamps if we are considered living with them until DHs 22nd birthday, but MIL could apply for them if she wants. Groceries aren't our biggest concern, though it would help. We just *really* needed our medical.

So, should something happen during my UC that warrants a transfer, I'm good as far as insurance goes

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 AM

Oh! Congratulations! It is always nice to have that safety net JIC.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:17 AM

I'm glad it worked out - it pays to be persistent sometimes!

Quote:
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone

I got my coverage back, and even managed to get them to start coverage on my DH who was uninsured!!

I just ended up going there with MIL and explaining to my caseworker that we only have one exit really, but that our apartments are pretty much connected. She said that was fine, and we were able to be covered. MIL is also going to be applying, she will be a separate case with her, FIL, and SIL (15yo). DH and I aren't eligible for food stamps if we are considered living with them until DHs 22nd birthday, but MIL could apply for them if she wants. Groceries aren't our biggest concern, though it would help. We just *really* needed our medical.

So, should something happen during my UC that warrants a transfer, I'm good as far as insurance goes

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 PM

Glad you got your coverage back.

mama to my two girls 12/04 5/07 and #3 due in May/June
Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 12-12-2009, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks

User Tag List