U/S - remind me why? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Up until now (okay, last night) I've been positive about having a mid-pregnancy ultrasound/anatomy scan. My main two reasons are for finding out placenta placement, to make sure it's not near my c/s scar and number of cord vessels - and these are only because I plan to birth at home which is 25min away from the nearest hospital that is of any help (other 2 hospitals that are closer are small and primitive).
DH really doesn't want to know the gender, I thought I did but I've decided that I don't. So that part is irrelevant also.

I have an ultrasound booked for Thursday but I haven't arranged babysitting for my kids yet and really, I just don't feel like going. It seems like somewhat of a waste of time. Plus if I feel I need one later in my pregnancy, it's no problem to get another requisition from my midwife.
So my question is, do you think I really need one?

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 04:09 PM

No, you don't NEED one. It is all about if you want one. Do you really feel it is important to make sure the placenta isn't by the c-section scar? Are you really concerned about baby's anatomy? If so, then go... if not... then don't. UC and pregnancy plans are often very fluid

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#3 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 05:17 PM

Well - even then, your placenta is not neccessarily going to be where its going to be. You may have a complete previa right now - which would require a follow up scan. Making that two scans you didn't really want. Really, because those suckers move around - even still at 20 weeks...if thats your one main concern, get it checked very late in pregnancy when you know it isn't going to go anywhere - like 35 weeks + if anything.

Your MW should be able to feel for the placenta though and you can hear it with a pinard as well. If you had a complete previa (and as far as I am aware, 'complete' previa is the only 'unbirthable' kind) - it would present itself in other ways too...like bleeding late in pregnancy. So you could skip the scan all together unless you had bleeding and/or your MW could just not possibly feel or hear where the placenta was if, later on in pregnancy, you feel thats what you still need.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#4 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent point about the placenta moving, I realized that this afternoon too! If there WERE any troubles, I'd have to have a 2nd scan later. So really, unless I'm concerned about other major issues to do with development, it seems kind of pointless.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#5 of 6 Old 12-15-2009, 11:37 PM

I am UP/UC and this will be my first VBAC and I have no desire to get an US..I would rethink that decision if anything(medically) were to change..

Follow your heart/intuition!! I have heard over and over from local midwives that you dont need an US just because your a VBAC.

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#6 of 6 Old 12-16-2009, 02:11 AM

If I were VBACing it might make me more likely to get one (I'm on the fence if I have another).
I took my kids with me so that was one less thing lol.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page