Question about being able to feel uterus. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2009, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I've had 7 babies now, but I've also lost nearly 125 lbs this year and everything seems different.

I'm around 9 week pregnant and can't seem to find my fundus/uterus. DH said maybe it was because of all the weight loss that things have just changed. But that doesn't make sense to me since I am down 125 lbs, so there is less fat to feel through!

Shouldn't I be able to feel my fundus by now? If not when do you think I should be able to at least detect it or feel it?

I miscarried my last pregnancy at around 10 weeks but baby only measured 5 weeks according to u/s. So I am kind of afraid that maybe my lack of fnding the fundus might mean everything has stopped growing.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 01:36 AM

I lost around 70 lbs before I got pregnant. I couldn't feel my fundus until around 12 weeks. The droopy skin and how everything had moved in general just made things more difficult to feel out. But once I did feel it for sure, it was obvious after that. Good luck and many s and my sympathy on your past miscarriage.

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 AM

It doesn't matter how much you weigh, the uterus isn't usually felt above the pubic bone until 12 weeks in a normal singleton pregnancy

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

Old 12-16-2009, 03:12 AM

Did you try behind your bone really well?
and congrats for both the baby and losing so much!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijae View Post
It doesn't matter how much you weigh, the uterus isn't usually felt above the pubic bone until 12 weeks in a normal singleton pregnancy

Laura
Thanks. I know I am panicking a bit and I just want to get to 12 weeks with a heart beat for this baby.

These first 5 weeks went by fast but I swear it's all slowed down. Plus being only a week away from 10 weeks (when I m/c the last time) I am freaking out worried thinking I am gonna m/c again.

I know I shouldn't worry about it, but that's much easier said than actually done, LOL

I did look it up after I posted. Normally I search before I post but I didn't this time. Any ways, you are right it's still in my pubic bone somewhere. The one site says even with someone who has had previous pregnancies the uterus usually can't be felt until after 10 weeks.

So I guess I just have to be patient and just keep waiting.

This week is kind of slow, but next week things will pick up with Christmas and all. I know I will completely relax and be at ease once I find and hear this little one's

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilguysmommy View Post
Did you try behind your bone really well?
and congrats for both the baby and losing so much!
Thank you. No I haven't tried too hard to push things around to find it. Kind of afraid to. I know now I just have to be a bit more patient.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM

I know conventional expectations are that fundal height is not possible/likely to be detected before 12 weeks, but that, like most expectations, is based on averages.

That said, I have a very short torso with no wasted space whatsoever. Every cm that my uterus grows is a cm or more that my belly sticks straight out, and I am 10 weeks with a 4 cm measurement above my pubis. I am usually at my umbilicus by 14-16 weeks, not 18-20 as is also expected, and I measure very large at the end- 44-46cm, even when I've been 44+2 and 42+3 and supposedly in the range when measurements decrease because of dropping. That's where my measurements stop and they don't lessen no matter how dropped the baby is before labour.

I think our bodies can be so different and if I were at 10 weeks now and unable to feel my fundus (which is really obvious for me), it wouldn't matter that I *shouldn't* be able to; in my body, I can feel my fundus peeking over the pubis at around 8 weeks at the latest.

That said, OP, with so many body changes and things settling differently for you now, I would be patient too, as you've decided.

I just wanted to make sure that us outliers were represented.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 AM

also one suggestion that might make it easier to feel as the time approaches, try searching for it following an orgasm when it's contracting and such. Whenever I've been feeling around and unsure of where thins are, that's always helped me have a firm idea of where it's at.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
Old 12-17-2009, 03:16 AM

I never felt mine that early on. sometimes I felt a swelling feeling like being really bloated - REALLY bloated. but never the fundus in definition.

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 AM

Also try both when your bladder is full, and then again once you void. Everyone is different - I pray that you will feel it soon and have a healthy outcome!
kind regards,

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Are you just palpating externally? It's helpful sometimes to press with your fingers up wards on either side of your cervix which will raise up your uterus so you can feel it above your pubic bone and get an idea of its size right now. You'll feel like a contortionist but it might give you some peace of mind.

~Courtney~
IBCLC to be & newly single mama to Ariana Raen 8/31/08
Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 AM

If it makes you feel better, I have had no weight change between my last pregnancy and this one. I was able to feel my fundus by nine or 10 weeks last time, this time I wasn't sure I was feeling fundus until I entered the second trimester. No differences! Except I was a year and half older

I hope this next week speeds up and you can finally feel your fundus and hear you're LO's heartbeat!

bf.jpg Sami brokenheart.gif, wife to jammin.gif, mama to reading.gif Tate 10/14/05, moon.gifKaleb 12/17/07, angel.gifcandleflicker2.gif Bram 3/13/10-11/17/12, mischievous.gif Alden 2/1/12, pos.gif October 2014
 homeschool.gifvbac.gifuc.jpg 

User Tag List