Planning a UC but - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are planning a UC with baby #2 and I am seeing an OB for prenatal care so in case of a transfer it won't be too much of a hassle at the hospital.

We are pretty confident in my bodies ability to do this and since my first pregnancy was normal with no complications at birth and staying as healthy as possible we anticipate this pregnancy and labor to go the same.

Anyway our only major concern is that in the event of a transfer we live 30 min from the hossy...anyone else planning a UC and live a bit far from the hossy?

Mama to Ella & Elisa, Wife to James
#2 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM

30 minutes really isn't that far, and besides, if you have a huge emergency a ambulance can cut some time off of that

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#3 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! I guess we just need that reassurance, DH is an EMT as well

#4 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 05:23 PM

We are planning a UBAC - and are also 30 mins from any hospital.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#5 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM

I think if there was an emergency it would be quicker to call the hospital on the way there. That way you don't have to wait on the ambulance to arrive and the hospital can be prepared for your arrival. We live about 25 minutes from the hospital. Based on previous experience it has taken the ambulance 30 + minutes to make it to our house with a life/death emergency. I was beyond mad. So, for me, I think it is quicker to get there on your own. Yes, you will be without the EMT's equipment and assistance but you would be anyways until they get to you and you *could* be at the hospitals by then if ya just drove.

However, think positive. You are going to be fine and there will be no emergencies!

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#6 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_mommy View Post
I think if there was an emergency it would be quicker to call the hospital on the way there. That way you don't have to wait on the ambulance to arrive and the hospital can be prepared for your arrival. We live about 25 minutes from the hospital. Based on previous experience it has taken the ambulance 30 + minutes to make it to our house with a life/death emergency. I was beyond mad. So, for me, I think it is quicker to get there on your own. Yes, you will be without the EMT's equipment and assistance but you would be anyways until they get to you and you *could* be at the hospitals by then if ya just drove.

However, think positive. You are going to be fine and there will be no emergencies!
we are not far from the hospital , but I wouldn't wait for an ambulance; I would get in the car and call on the way.

Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
#7 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 08:27 PM

With my first birth we planned a UC, 30 min from the hospital. We had gotten regular prenatal care, and DID end up transferring (for no reason, it was a dumb call, but we only knew that in hindsight! ) and it went perfectly smoothly. The ambulance took about 15 min to arrive, by which time I was beyond the point of being able to hold back from pushing her out; Dh was also an EMT so they readily agreed to let him catch the baby and cut the cord. The paramedic and EMTs who were there (there was quite a swarm of them! LOL) had tears in their eyes and actually seemed really grateful to have been present, they said it was amazing. (None of them had actually been there for a birth, since they usually got the mother to the hospital before that!) It was actually really moving. Not the ideal UC, of course, but I'm glad that it was a good transfer, and having had the prenatal care made it simpler as they could access my records and see that I was GBS neg, etc.

30 min really isn't that far, and like prancie said, they'll be able to offer some support in the ambulance that will cut time off that.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#8 of 12 Old 01-06-2010, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

we are definitely going to remain positive, DH is very supportive and we are both learning all about the ins and outs of the what if situations. Thanks for the advice mamas!

#9 of 12 Old 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM

We planned a UC and live over an hour from a hospital. As the time approaches you either will or won't be comfortable, go by that.
#10 of 12 Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM

30 minutes is perfectly fine. if you do encounter a need to transfer, have dh call the hospital and tell them you are on your way and have xxx complication. ime, most mw's will only do a hb if you live within about 1/2 from the hospital in case of transfer. that seems to be the average.
#11 of 12 Old 01-08-2010, 03:07 PM

i live 5 blocks from a hospital, but they dont deliver babies anymore- no if ands or buts.. the nearest one that does in 15 mins.. but its a HORRIBLE hospital! the nearest good hosp is 45mins-hr away. we talked to our local hops.. they think we have a mw, but whatever.. but they said as soon as we think we are in trouble, call them, they will call careflight, and by the time we get to them and they get us preped for flight, careflight will be there to take us to denton.. we also took out careflight insurance- $50 a year for your whole family.
#12 of 12 Old 01-10-2010, 01:58 AM

hey, are you the same ottbabies like on the old gm forum? i don't know if you remember me, we met at the bouncy place my ds was a u/c

mama to one '07 and one '09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page