Breech babies and UC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone here had a successful/ good story of thier breech UC. Did you know before hand that the baby was in this position? Was it footling, frank breech or other? Did you have a waterbirth? Any information is appreciated.

thanks

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 AM

There is a lot on breech birth here. It is a fabby blog full of great information.
Whilst those births are not UC - breech births (when done right! lol) are very hands off (they have to be) and none of those babies really needed seeing to afterwards...they could very well have been UC if they wanted to birth that way (they just chose to have a MW at their home births).

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#3 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM

My UC breech birth story is on my friend's blog.

She was frank breech and we didn't know until she presented bum first.

Aaaand she just woke from her nap so I'll keep my reply short.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#4 of 22 Old 01-28-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone, keep them comming. I have had a strange feeling/intuition that this baby #5 is going to be breech at birth in May. I can't explain it or shake it off so Im getting prepared regardless. I actually dont have any fear about it. I would much rather have a breech baby at home than in the hospital. I have a midwife in the hospital as a back up and have seen her prenataly. I also have a homebirth midwife that is oncall for me if I decide to call her. But so far everything I've seen and read still makes me feel comfortable with our decision to have this baby UC, even if a butt presents first.

at my apt. yesterday the baby was butt down and head up. I knew it cause this little one has been totally in my ribs and making breathing hard.

Thanks again

Laurie, wife to James, mom to 3 girls: 8,5 & 4 and 1 handsome boy,2: planning May 2010
#5 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 12:47 AM

I'll be on this thread as this is baby #2 for me and it has been bum/feet down 90 percent of the time..I'm trying not to think too much about it as I know its still pretty early. My dd was always head down my whole pregnancy so this is definately different for me. And it has me wondering..I am like you and have a back up homebirth midwife who is available to me and completely supportive of breech births. Its definately on my mind and it will be interesting to see what comes of all this for both of us!! I have no intentions of changing my birth plans should baby stay breech through birth. I live in Seattle and its not normal to give birth Breech..go down to Portland and its more of a normal thing!! Go figure!!

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
#6 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen my chiro 3 times this pregnancy but nothing regular yet. I usually start every 2-3 weeks at my 25th week so next week. I also usually start optimal fetal positioning at that point. So we will see what comes of it. But again, I've had nothing but peaceful thoughts about this birth. Yes it's my 5th but each of my births and pregnancies have been so different. Even my last pregnancy and birth was full of fear for various reasons. It feels so good this time around to have complete confidence in my body and my baby. Im not trying to be naive, Im just calm and full of peace.

#7 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've heard other folks w/breech babes use these techniques to successfully turn their babes before birth
http://spinningbabies.com/

If anyone wants I have a breech birth handout in pdf as well as several others on birth related things especially handy for UCing. Also have the emergency childbirth book as a pdf.
I'm happy to email any/all of these to anybody that wants them

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 
#8 of 22 Old 01-29-2010, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

I give the spinning babies website out like candy to my clients. Out of about 80 women Ive only had 3 end up with breech babes at the time of birth. I think all the encouragement of baby to be in the right position is great.

I would love your extra info though. I will PM you my email.

#9 of 22 Old 01-31-2010, 02:17 AM

i don't want to bring up bad feelings but there was a mama that posted here fairly frequently with a footling breech baby that died. i think i would be more comfortable with a bum presentation than a footling breech.

she also did _not_ know that the baby was breech before the birth.

eh. who needs a signature?
#10 of 22 Old 01-31-2010, 06:10 AM

Laura Shanley's second birth was a breech UC, unexpected if I remember correctly.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#11 of 22 Old 02-07-2010, 12:29 AM

My baby was breech and it was the best of all 3 of my births! He moved around so much those last few weeks/days, but always wound up laying trasverse. I had a peace abbout it all, and I decided to go ahead with our UC, but during labor I became concerned. There was so much mecoium in the fluid and the pains were more of a low tearing pain than an all over cramp. So I had to call in someone more knowledgable The midwife came and said the baby was fine. She told me she might be able to flip the baby even if I am fully dialated and he was still sideways, so don't rule out a natural delivery no matter what the position of the baby!! She said the best position to deliver was hands and knees and hands off(just catch the baby) I ended up delivering 3 hours after she left. Hands and knees was the only position I felt I could labor in, and I DID deliver hands and knees. He came out bum first, then one leg then the other. My husband was completely hands off except to support his body. He basically fell right out after 2 contractions with me pushing straight through. It was amazing!!! I did not tear. I did bleed a bit more than normal, and have been off and on still (6wks). I was almost convinced breech was the way we were made to deliver!!! I was is NO pain during delivery, it felt like my body was made for him to come out that way. It was almost more gradual. Breech birth is nothing to be afraid of, I truely believe that and so does my midwife. Just stay on your hands and knees, and don't try to hold the baby in! LOL!
#12 of 22 Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

that was so uplifting rejoicing! Sounds like a perfect delivery. I am so excited. I did see the chiro on Friday. Babe seemed to move down out of my ribs that day but was right back in them at bed time. Guess I better just suck it up and get used to this. this baby has been so active since friday and i honestly can't tell what position he/she is in. I swear there is more than one, but sono has showed differently. 14 weeks left

#13 of 22 Old 02-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Laura Shanley's was footling too! story

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#14 of 22 Old 02-18-2010, 03:59 AM

Sorry, I didn't read all the other responses. I had my first child and my last child breech. So, all three children were unattended births with two separate breech UC's, and I wouldn't change a thing.
#15 of 22 Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
i don't want to bring up bad feelings but there was a mama that posted here fairly frequently with a footling breech baby that died. i think i would be more comfortable with a bum presentation than a footling breech.

was breech the cause of the death? cuz mine was breech bornstill. but died a couple of days before labor started.

just saw on TV TWINS by surprise or some such stupid show, the mom not only did not know she was having twins but BOTH arrived feet first, in her bathtub. very healthy and @ 39 weeks! the show was stupidly (re)produced but the family is awesome and well educated and did UP and UC.

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#16 of 22 Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post
was breech the cause of the death? cuz mine was breech bornstill. but died a couple of days before labor started.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

This baby was part born but died before it could be born alive. There was a foot, moving, then it stopped. I often think of that poor babe and mama.

Does anyone know how she is doing? I know the thread was deleted (something maybe kicked off?) and I don't think she's posted since?
#17 of 22 Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post

One birth/loss should not be the deciding factor for anything. There have been many more footling breech babies who have been born fine.

Also I don't agree with trying to turn a breech baby, trying positions to help babe line up just right and get in the position they need to be in is helpful and should be done no matter what. But changing the baby's position forcefully is just dangerous. Babies choose their position for reasons we can not understand and making them flip over could cause a cord issue that they had worked out and could now suffer from.

Breech just happens sometimes and most breech babies are perfectly fine just like most vertex babies are fine.

Krista; blessed mother to four earthly beings and three non-physical. Basking in my beautiful rainbow. 

#18 of 22 Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
One birth/loss should not be the deciding factor for anything. There have been many more footling breech babies who have been born fine.

Also I don't agree with trying to turn a breech baby, trying positions to help babe line up just right and get in the position they need to be in is helpful and should be done no matter what. But changing the baby's position forcefully is just dangerous. Babies choose their position for reasons we can not understand and making them flip over could cause a cord issue that they had worked out and could now suffer from.

Breech just happens sometimes and most breech babies are perfectly fine just like most vertex babies are fine.
i didn't say it should be the deciding factor. i just think that if you are reading about a thread of breech babies and uc'ing then it would be prudent to hear of stories where it didn't work out. it seems like it would be unfair to only hear about the good and not the bad, well rounded research looks at both sides.

i was only trying to offer my perspective from what i've read. i lurk here often not make up someone's mind.

actually, i'm going to just say that woman's story haunts me and i don't want her or her loss to be forgotten. it seemed to apply to this situtation, sorry if i was too negative or anything.

eh. who needs a signature?
#19 of 22 Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlebaby View Post

just saw on TV TWINS by surprise or some such stupid show, the mom not only did not know she was having twins but BOTH arrived feet first, in her bathtub. very healthy and @ 39 weeks! the show was stupidly (re)produced but the family is awesome and well educated and did UP and UC.
Thanx for watching the show. Here is a link to the real birth story (BTW they were 35 weeks) http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1200940

to the OP, here are some of the links I just could not get enough of during their pregnancy:

www.moondragon.org there is a search box and several pages on breech, with pics of breech births of a couple varieties, very informative. (great twins info there too)

www.unhinderedliving.com/variations.html Without Judy I may never have UCd

www.freebirth.com find the birth stories of Laura Shanely, she had a breech birth, plus there are other breech birth stories on her site

I read a lot at www.spinningbabies.com but did not feel it was right to interfere with it. That was my experience during my pregnancy with the twins.

of course birthlove http://birthlove.cyclzone.com/pages/stories/breech.html

and of course, I googled breech of all types to find stories all over this great big web of information. Reading when things go right is great encouragement.
Reading when things go wrong is important to. You can learn so much by seeing how things are handled and after a while you can identify what was a mistake.

Whatever you choose to do make notes of things that catch your eye, they could be important. Keep in mind that a fixation could be a clue to what waits for you... it was for me.

I welcome questions, too, if you want more details about my own experience.

Missie
#20 of 22 Old 03-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missie View Post
Thanx for watching the show. Here is a link to the real birth story (BTW they were 35 weeks) http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1200940

to the OP, here are some of the links I just could not get enough of during their pregnancy:

www.moondragon.org there is a search box and several pages on breech, with pics of breech births of a couple varieties, very informative. (great twins info there too)

www.unhinderedliving.com/variations.html Without Judy I may never have UCd

www.freebirth.com find the birth stories of Laura Shanely, she had a breech birth, plus there are other breech birth stories on her site

I read a lot at www.spinningbabies.com but did not feel it was right to interfere with it. That was my experience during my pregnancy with the twins.

of course birthlove http://birthlove.cyclzone.com/pages/stories/breech.html

and of course, I googled breech of all types to find stories all over this great big web of information. Reading when things go right is great encouragement.
Reading when things go wrong is important to. You can learn so much by seeing how things are handled and after a while you can identify what was a mistake.

Whatever you choose to do make notes of things that catch your eye, they could be important. Keep in mind that a fixation could be a clue to what waits for you... it was for me.

I welcome questions, too, if you want more details about my own experience.

Missie
that was YOU? I can't get you out of my head! huge huge kudos for educating yourself! wish the show was produced better...actually wish it was more you and your family and much less actors. I so enjoyed seeing you and listening to all you had to say. Let's just hope that you inspired some young pregnant couple to EDUCATE themselves!! (are you on bornfree?)

#21 of 22 Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM

HappyUCMama had an unassisted breech birth that she was not expecting. However, she's not on MDC much anymore. Her last log in was in February of last year. It went fine, with zero complications.
#22 of 22 Old 03-24-2010, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

thankyou all for the continued support and responses. Im currently at 32 weeks and baby bean has been head down for a few weeks now. Midwife keeps saying lots of fluid and I feel this baby deep in my pelvis one minute and up in my ribs the next. Praying that she finds the right position for her and delivery is without complication. I'll definetly update after the birth. Thanks again, I feel like we are in the home stretch and I am getting so excited.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page