Monitoring during labor? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will anyone be doing this, and if so, what are you using?

I thought I heard somewhere that Doppler was even worse than US? But how reliable for example is a stethoscope? Do you think it goes against UC philosophy to monitor the infant during/after contractions? Do you have symptoms or markers where you might start using monitoring?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Personally, I don't think it is at all against UC to monitor baby during a birth. For my birth, I only checked heart rate once. The rest of the time, she was kicking and moving strongly, so I knew she was fine. If I don't feel much movement, I'd check.

It's not that it's an emergency, but cords do get compressed sometimes and not feeling any movement at all isn't normal, so it might help actually ease any worries you might have if you check. Lowered heart rate during contractions and pushing is completely normal.

I did not use any U/S on my baby and especially not doppler because you are right, it is worse. It uses continuous high-frequency waves where regular U/S uses short intermittent bursts.

I used an electronic stethoscope (the BebeSounds) which has no waves at all. It's a regular stethoscope, it just has an electric volume control so the mother can turn the volume up or down to hear better. I found it quite reliable and a stethoscope would be as well.

Also, if you cannot find the baby's heartbeat while listening, it doesn't mean that the baby's heart is not beating. It's usually very easy to hear the placenta. If the placenta is whooshing, then the baby's heart is beating. It's the baby's heart that pumps the blood through the placenta. The only thing you have to watch out for is that you are not picking up your own heartbeat/vein pulses which are about 1/2 as fast as the baby's normal rate. To tell the difference, keep a finger on your pulse while you listen and make sure that the beats are not matching up.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 02-04-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I thought the same thing but wasn't sure what others do. I remember DD was powerful during contractions. It was so amazing to feel her kick and move.

Do you feel that the bebesounds was a better option than a regular stethoscope? I just got a similar kit from target for clearance just b/c I thought DD would enjoy listening. But if it can be a resource during birth...then score!

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

i agree with the PP that it is not against the UC philosophy to monitor during labor. If it helps you, then it is perfectly fine. And, i believe it is perfectly fine to use any instrument of your choice to monitor. it's entirely up to you!

personally, i didn't monitor, so i can't answer to that. but philosophically speaking, it is an individual choice.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
Thanks! I thought the same thing but wasn't sure what others do. I remember DD was powerful during contractions. It was so amazing to feel her kick and move.

Do you feel that the bebesounds was a better option than a regular stethoscope? I just got a similar kit from target for clearance just b/c I thought DD would enjoy listening. But if it can be a resource during birth...then score!
It worked very well for me, but you have to get used to using it. It picks up EVERYTHING, so any noise outside your house or movement will be picked up loudly. If you don't have a lot of success with it (some people don't) then try getting a stethoscope instead.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 02-05-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i agree with the PP that it is not against the UC philosophy to monitor during labor. If it helps you, then it is perfectly fine. And, i believe it is perfectly fine to use any instrument of your choice to monitor. it's entirely up to you!

personally, i didn't monitor, so i can't answer to that. but philosophically speaking, it is an individual choice.

It's still unassisted if you're the one doing the monitoring!

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2010, 05:21 AM

I had wanted to get a stethoscope during pregnancy, and never got around to it. I could listen to the fetal heartbeat through a stethoscope all day, its such an amazing sound. I was told that it can be very difficult to hear fetal heart tones during a contraction using a stethoscope because the contractions of the uterine muscle obscures the sound. The UC-friendly midwife I had consulted with still recommended the doppler for intermittent monitoring during labor. I didn't use any type of monitoring during labor because I hadn't felt it was necessary at the time. But like others have said, its a personal choice. And as long as its a thoughtful, informed or intuitive choice, its yours to make. You are taking complete responsibility for any and all actions you take during the pregnancy and birth. So that's a good thing!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Old 02-11-2010, 08:40 AM

Thoughout this pregnancy I have not had any doppler or U/S use - and don't plan on it.

However - as this will be a UBAC for me, I am hiring a doppler close to my due date.
I don't actually plan on using it. For me, I really feel that it could interfere with my connection to this baby and my body...which will be very important for me to be able to listen to when I am in labour!

However however - I still feel it will be a wise idea to have it there just in case. At the end of the day, it is only a little under £30 to hire for a months use - so if I never use it, it is not much skin off my back so to speak. But it will be there in case I feel it does need to be used. Just like if a MW were to be there, I would request the same thing. There are certain situations that may arrise that I would like a quick check to make sure baby is okay - such as say, meconium in the waters or abnormal bleeding or some other reason that I may actually want and need to no longer go unassisted. Some of these sitautions may indeed be completely normal and baby may indeed be completely happy and healthy through them - so the doppler will be there 'just in case'! lol (I would hate to panic for no reason and call a MW when I could just carry on as normal iykwim) ...hopefully there won't be any concern to use it at all though!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!

User Tag List