Overweight and Obese UP/UC'ers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far, I feel completely healthy during this pregnancy, however I am slightly concerned about my weight. I never did lose the baby weight from #3. At 5' 3.5" and 173 lbs., I'm teetering obesity. How much will I weigh come October?! I plan to continue checking my weight, urine, blood pressure, etc., but what else can / should I do?

Any advice on a overweight / obese mama UP'ing / UC'ing?

TIA!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#2 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 04:12 PM

I have never really checked my weight in pregnancy while UPing and even when I was with a midwife I would weigh myself but it really didn't mean much... I weigh quite a bit more than you and have had four healthy pregnancies and children.

I honestly don't think that weight has anything to do with a healthy pregnancy. Eat when you are hungry, eat well and drink well and stop looking at the numbers and stressing...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#3 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 PM

I am the dreaded "O" word. At 5'4 I weigh in at 204lbs. I gained weight after DD was born... well first I lost it all then I gained it back plus some due to PCOS. I'm not worrying about it to much though. I definitely don't want to pork up unnecessarily like I have done in previous pregnancies but I do know that I will gain weight. Entering into my second trimester I still haven't gained anything, I actually have lost 3 lbs. I hope to keep this up (not the weight loss part) for another month because I pack on the lbs toward the end. The way I look at it, just because I am what others call obese, I don't feel that way. I keep up with my toddler just fine, we eat healthy and my size doesn't prevent me from doing anything (except squeezing into tiny spaces). As far as what else should you do... I don't have any advice other than just be as active as you can and eat well. At least thats all that I am doing and I feel great (as far as greatness goes with pregnancy for me).

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#4 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 04:40 PM

I don't UC, but saw your thread and wanted to say I started my last pregnancy at almost exactly the same size as you (5'4" and 174 lb) and ended up gaining a total of 25 lb. I had a healthy pregnancy and unmedicated vaginal delivery at 39w4d, no preeclampsia like with my first, no diabetes or anything like that. Now at 11 days postpartum, thanks in a large part to a healthy diet and breastfeeding, I am back to 174 again. Hoping to start walking my dog more again soon and lose some more.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#5 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 04:48 PM

Oh honey, I have almost 100 pounds on you! I UC'ed just fine! I think just moniter exactly the same things a thin woman would...watch your blood pressure, stay hydrated, etc.

Unless you have diabetes, hypertension, or some other health issue, yuor weight alone shouldn't be an issue.

Jen...wife to Shawn...Radically Unschooling Mommy to Connor (4/03), Autumn (1/07) Aiden (1/08) and Ella (10/14/09) Just had the of our dreams!
#6 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your reassurance mamas!

I guess I was feeling a little insecure because I went to the family doc last week to get Blue Care Network Qualification stuff done, and he declared me obese. He proceeded to tell me that I am at a higher risk with the pregnancy because of it. He kindly was trying to convince me to have a hospital birth this time. Hello?! Sure, yeah I'll just go to the hospital, I don't care! YEAH RIGHT! It turned into an argument, and me answering lots of stupid questions like, "How would you clamp the cord?", and "What would you do if you tear?" Seriously? You would think he would've asked, "What would you do in a case of shoulder dystocia?", or "What are the signs of hemorrhage?" I left there feeling angry, sad, and insecure. So, naturally, now I'm questioning myself on every little thing, and the weight was something that could be declared "unhealthy".

I feel fine! I need to stop doubting myself!

Thanks again!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
#7 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I started my pregnancy at about your stats (5'3", 175) and had a perfectly healthy pregnancy, gaining a totally average amount of weight which I then sweated off within 2 weeks (ew!). Focus on listening to your body. You will gain what you need to, and the number on the scale does. not. matter. at. all.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#8 of 28 Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 PM

I was wondering the same thing! I gained 40lbs w/ DD. Lost it after she was born but then steadily gained 15lbs until conception. And now at 8 weeks I've already gained 6 pounds.

Can't figure out my weight gain...diet and lifestyle have remained the same! I swear! lol

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#9 of 28 Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 AM

I'm right about that height/weight too, i had no prob with my last pregnancy, although i wouldn't have exactly called myself "healthy" then. i'm still gaining but i consider myself much more healthy now. i'm actually exercising, eating WAY better, etc numbers and labels don't belong on people you know, i think the "problem" with obesity or being overweight and pregnancy(or anything else health related) is that many people in this obese/overweight category are there because they have behavioral issues(eating junk, sedentary lifestyle) which can lead to other health issues. the health issues are the issue, not the weight. if you don't have a health issue(i.e. diabetes) then it really doesn't have too much(if any) affect on your pregnancy. just watch for the health issues

as is with chubby newborns probably is the same with chubby mamas, fat squishes

hijab.gif Childbirth Educating and Doula-ing wife toflowersforyou.gif , and mama to hammer.gif6/09. Story of my life:buddamomimg1.pngduh.gif knit.gifscared.gifsewmachine.gifdishes.gifcd.giftea6.gifread.gifsleepytime.gif

#10 of 28 Old 02-08-2010, 12:48 PM

I have been well over 200 for most of pregnancies. 3 were awesome homebirths and 2 were awesome hospital births. don't worry about the #, especially at the end when you are not there yet. AT the end of my pregnancies I am usually only up about 10 pounds if that. so if you are chunky (not imo are you!) and plenty of excess it's just find to not gain as long as baby is growing fine. go by more how you feel. feel healthy? then you are doing everything right

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#11 of 28 Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM

While I can't comment on having a UC just yet I have been 220+ with all five of my births and I don't see a cause for concern. As long as you are healthy, IMO weight isn't an issue. I have never let anyone else tell me other wise and I've had five perfectly healthy pregnancies and deliveries with no problems.

~*Candice*~
Wife, Doula and SAHM to six and expecting a new addition July 2012!namaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifh20homebirth.gif

#12 of 28 Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 PM

I worry about this as a possible reason for being "risked out" by a HBMW.

Speaking of which, I hope you ladies on the UC board don't mind my commenting on a non-UC. UC is on the table, just not committed to it.

I am 5'6" and 188-190, so similar in build to the OP. I am healthy enough and have never had any problems with pregnancies, weight related or otherwise, but I wonder what a midwife will say.

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

#13 of 28 Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 AM

I'm only 5 foot, and was 200 with my last UC, 180 with the first, and they went fine. We're even sort of close. Hi!!*waves*

CPST
#14 of 28 Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM

I was quite a bit overweight with my second and UP'd I wanted to UC but ended up being in Romania when I had my baby and it is illegal to UC there and I was staying with family which would not have been supportive of it.

Anyway. I had a healthy pregnancy and no complications. I delivered naturally and mostly by myself. I would not be concerned too much with your weight. Just exercise, eat healthy and drink plenty of water. Try not to overeat, only eat - when you are hungry.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#15 of 28 Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
I'm only 5 foot, and was 200 with my last UC, 180 with the first, and they went fine. We're even sort of close. Hi!!*waves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
I was quite a bit overweight with my second and UP'd I wanted to UC but ended up being in Romania when I had my baby and it is illegal to UC there and I was staying with family which would not have been supportive of it.

Anyway. I had a healthy pregnancy and no complications. I delivered naturally and mostly by myself. I would not be concerned too much with your weight. Just exercise, eat healthy and drink plenty of water. Try not to overeat, only eat - when you are hungry.
I remember you from when I was pregnant with my third!

#16 of 28 Old 02-10-2010, 02:39 PM

Well... I am 5'10" and started my pregnancy this time at 299 lbs. I was 310 the day before Henry was born. I did my best to eat healthy, drink tons of water, etc. I did get the GD test because at that time I was going to a CNM... but obviously with only an 11 lb weight gain I didn't have it

Anyhow, I think it sounds like you are fine. With my DD, I started pregnancy at 275 lbs and ended at 240 because I had hyperemesis and couldn't eat or hardly drink through most of my pregnancy. I had home IVs and a home nurse for some of my pregnancy even... that is how bad it was. After she was born, my body was SO much in famine mode, I shot up to 357 in a year (and that was WITH breastfeeding). This time, I ended pregnancy at 310 and am now down to 265... meaning 10 lbs less than my wedding weight

My point is.... being obese / morbidly obese / overweight, WHATEVER doesn't necessarily make things more difficult. It makes you 'high risk' in the eyes of a health care provider, which (in my opinion) then makes them overreact to any little thing that is going on. The midwife wanted to do a second GD test because I was 'high risk' from my weight. That was finally when we decided to go UP/UC. And I am glad we did Good luck!!!

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#17 of 28 Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM

just realized I just told the freaking world how fat I am... well, it isn't like they can't SEE it

Angela lactivist.gif, married for 14 1/2 years to DHtwins.gif, mother to DD 8-5-97homeschool.gif, DS 8-5-09 uc.jpgbabyf.gif, and SURPRISE!!! pos.gif due 2-17-12

#18 of 28 Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Angela, do you attribute your weight loss for the return of your fertility?

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
#19 of 28 Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 AM

To an extent, but there is more to it than that. I finally was diagnosed with PCOS about 3 years ago, and started taking metformin. As soon as my hormones evened out, I started losing weight easily. Then my dad died. I lost my appetite and lost more weight. I had been pregnant several times over the years between Hannah and Henry, but miscarried all of them. PCOS raises your chances of miscarriage, and so when I got pregnant with Henry I didn't think he would last either.

There are some studies that say women with PCOS who stay on metformin while pregnant will miscarry less, so I did. I took the metformin until close to the end of pregnancy. Henry was my first pregnancy since I started taking metformin, and I am so very glad I kept taking my metformin. I can't say for sure that is why he stayed, but it sure seems like it...

#20 of 28 Old 02-12-2010, 04:04 PM

gossamerwindweb: I have a very similar story, minus the weight loss. Gained a bunch of weight quickly, had a bunch of miscarriages, get diagnosed with PCOS, get put on metformin, get pregnant, stay on metformin, stay pregnant. Still fat, but I feel so much better than before and I'm holding my perfectly healthy baby right now

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#21 of 28 Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 PM

I didn't bother weighing myself because I didn't want to get depressed LOL I started out being a size 8 and ended up wearing XL maternity clothes in the end (size 16?)

I was 290 lbs when I had DS1 and 225 when I had DS2. I'm one of those ladies that destined to gain 60+ lbs no matter how well I eat and exercise.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#22 of 28 Old 02-15-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
gossamerwindweb: I have a very similar story, minus the weight loss. Gained a bunch of weight quickly, had a bunch of miscarriages, get diagnosed with PCOS, get put on metformin, get pregnant, stay on metformin, stay pregnant. Still fat, but I feel so much better than before and I'm holding my perfectly healthy baby right now
YAY! I am always so glad to hear of someone who beat infertility. Amazing how sometimes one little tweak can make all the difference

#23 of 28 Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM

I'm another Big Beautiful Woman. I was 251 for my first 261 for my twins (270 on D day) and 261 for my last. First baby I had GD. If my Dr had told me how to manage it, it probably wouldn't have cause such a prob. I had pre-e with my twins. I attribute it to my having two babies in there and with the huge HUGE stress they had me under. Last baby (my UP with vbac transfer) was perfectly normal. I monitored my blood sugar and BP just to be sure but boy do I wish I had just HBed my first and gotten a glucometer. Would have saved us a NICU stay.

So, I guess what I'm saying is stuff can happen and it's more likely to happen if you are heavier, but you can test for problems and get help if needed. Heck last pregnancy my sugars were getting high so I asked my endocrinologist for insulin. After a month my sugars were normal and I stopped using it. You are not a ticking time bomb because of your weight, you just deal with whatever might happen if something does.

Oh I'm a met mom too. I took it through my first two pregnancies and for the first trimester of my third (even though my third baby was the first to be conceived without Met!).

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#24 of 28 Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

I had never weighed below 250 with any of my pregnancies except this one. With my last one I know I gained up and over 300lbs, but after birth went back down to about 270ish. That was in 2007. In 2008 I miscarried and ate through my depression. At the beginning of 2009 I weighed 326. In April 2009 I finally got my WLS done (A VSG not gastric bypass) and when I got my BFP I weighed 214 but still lost down to 196 by the first week of January. Since then I have maintained between 198 and 202.

I have never had a problem with birthing at home unassisted or with my unassisted pregnancy/prenatal when I did it. Even when I had shadow care and tests done, I never had GD or high BP or anything like that, so it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy and be overweight/obese.

I've birthed at home/UC'd 5 times now very much overweight/obese. This is the first time I have actually been this "small" for a pregnancy/delivery. I have some scar adhesions from the surgery that may cause some problems and my tailbone is less "protected" than it was before so it may be more uncomfortable as well. I'm very much interested in seeing how different this birth is 130lbs less.

winner.jpg Mom to 9 ~*~ 4 babygirl.gif  4 babyboy.gif & 1rainbow1284.gif(MtF) ~*~ uc.jpg  lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif Rainbow.gif heartbeat.gif

#25 of 28 Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 PM

I am 5'6" and weigh 250#. I just found out I'm type 2 diabetic but am seeing a doctor and have gotten better control. hoping to ttc by the summer (after glucose/diabetes is under tight control).

I plan to UC if I can maintain tight glucose control during pregnancy. I had a c-section with twin boys in 2004. I hope to never have to experience that again!!

Health, not weight in the priority.....good luck to all!
#26 of 28 Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM

I'm not a UP or UC mama but I just wanted to say that it's really, really, nice to hear about other bigger mamas. I'm 5'8 and started out this pregnancy at 265. I'm up to about 287 now with 9 weeks left to go. With DD (18 months old now) I started at 210 and ended up at 275 on delivery day. I lost about 20 of that after her birth but never went below 255 between pregnancies.

Both of my pregnancies have been perfectly healthy, despite being overweight. No GD, blood pressure issues or anything else. I eat well and am active but I am just a bigger woman. It takes a LOT of effort for me to lose and maintain weight. I hope to drop some after this baby but I know it's going to be an uphill battle so I'm trying to not freak out about it.

Good luck to all of you mamas!

Michigan native living in Jersey with my hubby, sweet girl (4), wild boy (2), and baby girl due Dec. 18th! 

#27 of 28 Old 03-07-2010, 03:50 PM

so I just weighed myself today, OMG I'm 247!!! I'm a size 16 so I figured I would be about 180-190. Not sure how I weigh so much. But yes, easy pregnancy, easy labor, great blood pressure etc despite being "obese"

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#28 of 28 Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 AM

i am rather obese by medical standards. i weighed the other day, and at 41w i am 260lbs. i am 5'7''. im okay with my body,a nd my husband is too, and to me thats all that matters. i am healthy, and regardless of what medical proffesionals say about "obesity" i wont have it. the way i see it, if God saw a problem with us being fluffy, he would have said something about it you can be big and healthy. so i wouldnt worry about it. we UC, we tried clomid, metformin, everything my dr handed me to concieve this first one, and dang it all, it wasnt until we decided to trust Gods timing, and accept my body for how it is that we got pregnant(took 3 years and 2 losses) so i wouldnt worry about it honestly. if you start feeling icky, then check ur blood sugars but i wouldnt worry about being bigger, in any aspect of your life.

... oh and i thought i would add, i have pcos, and i gained 80 lbs one year because of it, and metformin helped me temporarily lose weight, but not keep it off. love your bodies people, we arent all supposed to be the same. eat healthy, and excercise, and laugh. and dont fall for all of the stereotypical media pushed be skinny or ugly crap. love your bodies, and stop judging yourselves. love yourself, and those who arent in "societies standard guidelines" you would be amazed at how much happier you are!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page