l - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just finished reading one of the Bradley books. It said that the average baby takes 41 1/7 weeks. I'm assuming this included the two weeks before conception as all doctors include in the calculation. I moved my due date from September 25 to October 15, but am totally fine with anything mid September to end of October!

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#32 of 38 Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
l
#33 of 38 Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM

It would take a collection of factors for me to determine how I felt about longer gestation.

For example, I have Asian ethnicity and it's been speculated that Asians have shorter gestation. I think back to how DD started labor at exactly 39 weeks, yet had signs of post-date such as peeling skin on her hands and feet...I wonder about gestating longer for me personally.

Also my mom had conception dates for her pregnancy and went to exaaactly 40 weeks with each one that was an UC. (Hospital births were badly managed/intervened). In fact, with baby #8 she was 40 +1 without any labor signs so she went to the chiro to make sure everything was optimally positioned, and then had a free acupuncture session, came home and birthed my sister that day lol.

On the one hand I embrace the UC philosophies of trusting your body, and the baby's body, and providence. But on the other hand I do think the process of labor is a complex hormonal process that requires many things to work. In our world of endocrine disruptors, a struggle to find safe and healthy food, sub-optimal conditions for an open pelvis/strong spine etc I would not exclusively assume it was a good thing to go post-date.

That being said, there are many non-medical options to try. As I mentioned previously, acupuncture....massage, exercise, walking, making sure the baby is positioned and your pelvis is open...primrose oil, etc.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#34 of 38 Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Just back from the Trust Birth Conference, where Dr. Sarah Buckley (Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering) spoke. She shared statistics in her session that showed the the risks of danger to the baby was lower in just waiting even after 42 weeks (but before 43 week) than the risks of an induction (many inductions fail and lead to c-sections, BTW...) As long as your water is intact and your baby is moving, all should be well, unless you intuit otherwise. Your baby will come when he/she is ready!

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#35 of 38 Old 03-20-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
I am in some stages of early labor but it picks up at night (lots of contractions all night long) and slows down in the day.
I am starting to doubt myself here.

I'm probably late on this reply, as it's been 5 days since your last reply...

But I went to 44 weeks and 4 days with my 2nd baby (first UC). My first was born at 40 on the dot.

I also knew when I ovulated, concieved, and implanted so I'm sure of the dates.

I read alot of "ten month Mamas" stuff. Baby was born pink, short squat, healthy, and covered in vernix; placenta was great shape; water was clear, and smelled fine, labor was completely spontaneous after a 3 day prodromal drumroll; lasted about 12 hours (only 2 of it intense really), and birth was simple and easy. great outcome, 10 lb baby

best wishes and happy baby moon
#36 of 38 Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM

I am late too! But, I went 42w 3d, and was in on and off labor for days. My little girl was born weighing 7lbs 3oz. Don't doubt yourself! Your body was created to give birth! I hope you are enjoying your baby moon at this point.

Oh, and lovestolearn, I was at the TBC too!

Carol
Momma to Patrick (8) Corey (7) Lilah- My UBA2C (11 months)
#37 of 38 Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM

I went 42 weeks and 3 days with my second, and she was only 7 pounds 1 ounce, so I think she really needed the extra time in there. Trust your body. Your baby will come when he/she is good and ready.
#38 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 12:02 AM

Has anyone heard from Katie?

NM! I found her! She had a boy!!
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1208308

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page