Quoted: 6 Post(s)
l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have stories, but they aren't my own so I don't know how helpful that is.

However, I did come across this today.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...797153,00.html
Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM

I'm not a UCer (homebirther and lurk a lot) but saw this and had to reply...since you wanted late babies and good outcome stories

My daughter was 41 weeks and 3 days, not quite as long as you are but close enough. She was a big girl, 10lbs 4 oz and about 2 feet long, but her dad's side of the family tends to have large babies. She had meconoium in her water but I think that was largely due to the interventions I took to induce labor (a "vigorous" sweep & stretch by my OB, AROM, and epidural and a cohosh concoction I took myself when my OB was threatening induction) and not by her overdue status.

My son was 41 weeks and 1 day. He was quick and easy, 7lbs 7oz, a calm and completely uneventful birth. He still had a lot of vernix covering him as well.

Given my past births, I can accept that my body needs to cook babies past 41 weeks. Knowing that, I would not be concerned going up to 42 weeks at all, personally, and since my homebirth midwife knows my history and accepts this as well, I know I'll be much more relaxed if/when I head into the 41st week since I won't have the threat of induction looming over my head.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 03-07-2010, 02:06 PM

I'm not a UCer (yet anyway!) but there's this thread over in the homebirth forum that might ease your mind a little.

FWIW my DD was born at 43+1 weeks, my mom was induced at 42 weeks with both me and my brother (so she would obviously have gone a bit longer) and my gran had a VBAC at 46(!!) weeks. All perfectly healthy babies. Some women do just gestate for longer.

You can also check out a site called something like 10 month mamas for reassuring stories about mamas who've gone 'post-dates' - some are UCs too.

I know how stressful the last stretch can be, but hang in there. No one stays pregnant forever (even though you probably doubt that right now!!)

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! I think I want to double post this in another section- not sure if it should be pregnancy or birth- maybe pregnancy.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Well, I wasn't a UCer with my last pregnancy (planning our first UC ) but I was planning a homebirth with a midwife. I went to 42w3d and I would have gone longer if baby had noy come naturally that day. I did do a non-stress test at 42 weeks to appease my midwife and confirm everything was good with baby (which I knew intuitively all along). I really believe that baby will come when ready and sometimes that can be a little before 38 weeks or after 42 weeks. It is really case by case. I had a beautiful labor and baby came out happy and healthy. His placenta had a few calcifications on it when it came out but it was in otherwise perfect condition. Hope that helps!

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnAir View Post
my gran had a VBAC at 46(!!) weeks.
This was like my brother in law (my sister's husband). His mom says she went to 48 weeks, and that when he was born he was wrinkled and dry but perfectly healthy, as was the placenta.
Personally, I wonder if her dates were off but she seems pretty sure when we've talked about it!

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:29 PM

I found the general thread about this outside of the UC board, and moved my response there.

The summary was that even the studies say that you are not "overdue" until AFTER 42, and that up to 43 is still pretty safe.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 AM

I'd go to 42.5 without being concerned, as long as i didn;t feel concerned. So, another full week for you. I'd get antsy after 43, to be honest, that's when the outcomes start to decrease significantly. But teh odds are, you'll nevetr have to deal with that. the odds of your babe coming in the next week are significant!

CPST
Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM

I'm a UCer. I UCed with my first and labor started at 42 weeks 5 days. My daughter was born at 43 weeks (it was a long labor). She was only 8 pounds, 7 ounces at birth, so she wasn't huge or anything despite her dates. No breathing problems, a little vernix on her and my placenta was whole and in one piece without any signs of calcification.

Those dates are based on my ovulation- I was charting and I know they are accurate.

I figured it was my first, my baby was still moving and the heartbeat was strong, so there were no worries. My husband didn't worry at all as I was going "over." It was just everyone else.... So this time I'm using a due season instead of date. I'm due in the summer. If it hits the fall equinox, I'm overdue.

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM

My son was born 41w, 5d at 8lb, 7oz and 22 inches long. I had a hospital birth, but my son was 'late'. I went into labor naturally, but stalled out at about 6cm. My doula, husband, and I tried everything to get it moving again, but we opted for pitocin because my membranes had ruptured and there was meconium in the fluid. I was also worried about the baby's health as well as being too exhausted to push and be part of the birth. I still ended up having him naturally, even with the pitocin.

Before the birth, I did 3 non-stress tests, and he did fine. At the end, I started having signs of preeclampsia, which is another reason I used pitocin. I wanted minimal interventions, but I also wanted to have a healthy baby, so what I did worked for me.

Good luck with the waiting game. The end result is worth it.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I am feeling calmer about this today than I was yesterday. I spoke with the midwife's assistant and she said they can even see up to 43 weeks be fine in a healthy well nourished mom.I am healthy and well nourished and I still feel just fine and baby is still moving.

If the baby goes 5 days longer (which is not really what I Want- but it would just be weird!) he or she will be born on My Birthday! That would just be so weird and precise.

Anyway- I am going to just enjoy myself today and try not to worry.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM

If it makes you feel better I was born at 44ish weeks according to my mother in 1971. :-) My longest pregnancy so far was 42 weeks. Can't wait to see what this one does. lol

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:19 PM

My mother went to 44 weeks with myself and both of my sisters. With my DD I was at least 44 weeks - she came out cracked with cracked heels, an aged cord, and not a spot of vernix left on her but perfectly healthy. My sister had both of her daughters at 43 weeks + some days, again both were perfectly healthy. It's just a matter of genetics for us - we like to cook our babies to crispy-crunchy perfection!

There are some tips on Birthlove's Ten Month Mama page, but as long as I had good heart tones (assuming you have a fetoscope) and movement I would be comfortable maintaining pregnancy rather than inducing.

Unassisted birthing, doula loving, extended/tandem nursing, nonvaxing, cosleeping, intactavist, Celiac having mama to Mariska 01/25/07 and Phinneas 05/07/10
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

anyone else not get a NST at 42 weeks?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 PM

I know someone who, back in the early 70s/late 60s, gave birth to a healthy baby boy @ 46 weeks.

Tamara: Aspiring doula, partner to Brazilian musician, mom to THREE GIRLIES!
(4/01, 6/07, & 12/09)
Old 03-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie34 View Post
anyone else not get a NST at 42 weeks?
By 28 weeks I was UPing so I did not have any sort of formal testing, just what I could do myself.

Unassisted birthing, doula loving, extended/tandem nursing, nonvaxing, cosleeping, intactavist, Celiac having mama to Mariska 01/25/07 and Phinneas 05/07/10
Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 PM

i am having my first baby, and my first UC ... i was due march 1st. i measure 43 weeks. the thing about UC is faith, i am having issues with trusting my body all of a sudden, lol. i only *sometimes* test positive on a pregnancy test. and i have not had a medical proffessional oversee any part of my pregnancy. we know there is a baby int here, we know because we have a hearbeat and movement and random feet stretching waaaaayyy out im 1 1/2 dialated and 75-80 % effaced, i just keep thinking, what if we arent pregnant? what if im crazy, lol. however, we feel 44 weeks is acceptable, and if we manage to go past that date, then we will look into herbally inducing. i have to *shamefully* admit we have tried all the home remedies. my husband leaves for a week at a time, 2 1/2 hrs from our home, without traffic.. so i get a little antsy, lol. im okay with waiting. and when and if 44 weeks come, i will probably keep waiting thats just what we tell the family members all freaking out that we arent going and getting induced, lol
Old 03-11-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

totally- requires faith. See my update in Feb ddc.
Trying to be fine as nothing is really wrong if I just don't let others in too much. and keep believing in myself.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

adbayer I know how you feel! We haven't told our families that we are sort of doing UC. I almost feel like what we are doing is turning out harder than UC as now I am dodging this horrible energy from these midwives we were going to use for "back up". I have just told mine and dh's moms that the midwives are treating me badly but I didn't want to say- but we will probably do UC anyway.
42 weeks +1 day- bloody show yesterday, light contractions. Ready to give birth. Friends and family starting to have fear for us. And I know what you mean about the self doubt! Woke up covered in it today- like- am I dumb for not getting the NST? which I don't want in any way- ooo- contraction happening right now!
ahh, faith- in this world of fear coming at us from all angles. It takes a truckload of faith to get by- isn't that a song?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I wasn't a UC'r either but did give birth at 41w 5 days. I felt the threat of induction if I went past 42 weeks (what an awful stress). I walked the local outdoor mall twice the day before I gave birth. I think it helped.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM

I've had 3 ucs; first two were 14 days over, fine perfect babies. my 3rd UC was stillborn and born the day before his due date. as you can see dates have nothing to do with anything. your baby and only your baby knows when the right time is. everything will be great. take some extra long baths or swim or read or meditate. document this time in your life. it's SO short in the grander scheme.

wife since 1992; mom to: J 7-95; H 5-98; C 2-03; S 4-05; Micah Zachary born still UC 4-08; UM 9-08; due June 2010
Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM

ahh, yes i have a "comfort lie" they think we have a midwife- my husband side thinks she will be at the birth, my side thinks she has done my prenatal care. my side is all aware of my hippie antics, and know that next time we wont have a midwife(event tho we dont now, lol) we thought about it, i made a appt, then ditched it all together. they didnt feel right, seeing someone about my pregnancy didnt feel right, so i went with what felt right i was digging through the archives and found this post someone made about how they handle their families negative energys and fears- they simply say "you are not allowed to be afraid for me". when they argue or say something back, or have bad vibes going on -" take that outside of my house, i do not want it. if you have fears or negative energy or feelings, you need to take it outside and mull it over to yourself. you can come back when your done, but dont do it in my house" i fully plan to use this, lol. i think it will work with my fam too. they will be the ones at the birth, my mom, grandma, two of my sisters, and a good friend who is very interested in natural birth. (ooh and they will sooo not be in the room, they will be occupying themselves elsewhere, except for maybe my 17yo sister, who i fully intend to make her not want to have sex for a loong loong time, lol) they all know i will kick them out and exclude them in a heartbeat if they are messing up my mojo im with ya. feeling like i should explode any minute. very very very light crampy like contractions all night. and then.. oop nope! all done! and no, dont doubt yourself! i do it, and i hate it, lol. i have to call hubby and have him talk me back down to normal, lol. its just, for the life of me, i want to figure out how to tell family we werent really pregnant when this baby never comes... but i know thats not gonna be a issue, there is a baby in there, s/he's pushing on me right now, lol. i think it might be a song faith is hard to keep, but i spose thats why we have prayer. feel free to email me if you want to talk! [email protected]
Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM
L J

I honestly cannot remember exactly when I went (pregnancy brain) but I know I was right at 42 weeks, be it 42w1d or 42w2d I cannot remember.

I knew my exact date of conception after several years of charting. Gave birth to a super healthy 7lbs 13oz baby boy in about 5 hours.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbayer View Post
they will be the ones at the birth, my mom, grandma, two of my sisters, and a good friend who is very interested in natural birth.
Just curious, unless your mom and grandma have had homebirths, you SURE you want to have that many people there? They might screw up your birthing energy, and ignore you if you ask them to leave...cuz you might be too preoccupied with dealing with ctx to deal with them, and that can make your labor much longer, if not stall it out completely...
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 AM

ya, they are really excited about being there. but they know good and well they are not allowed in the room im birthing in. if i change, they change. they have tasks they will be pre occupied with i am almost sure of my grandmother "coming down with something" and not being there, lol.. and my older sister just found out shes pregnant, so idk if she will be here for sure either but they are not to mess with me.. they know this. they are to occupy each other, out of my sight, and to be quiet,a nd they seem okay with this they are eager to help.. which i find sweet, considering i thought they would flip, lol. my little sister katie will be in charge of the note taking and camera and my hubby, katie, and i will be the only ones in the room when the time comes. my mother and grandmother, and older sister just want to be there to be in the same area when baby comes, they are all a hr away my friend is very interested in my "approach" and was scared into two csections, and just wants to see waht a "normal" birth is like, but she isnt the in the way kind, kwim? idk, it does sound like a lot of people, but i am almost positive they wont make a problem out of themselves thanks for your concern tho! the next one will probably only be dh, Squish, and my mom. i made it all very clear, that if they so much as distract me, they are out and they agreed to not pitch a fit, which made me happy they are just happy so long as they are in the same county when baby is born and DH doesnt seem to mind playing bouncer if they are annoying, we have discussed that, and he "thinks it will be fun to throw your mom out if she is being annoying, esp since she has spent the last month calling me and telling me to have sex with you so the baby will come. oh and lets not forget the play with her nipples discussion"
Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 AM

good lord, i just realized every one of my posts turns into a mini novel, im sorry guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

l
Old 03-12-2010, 02:37 AM

whew! yall are totally awesome, you know it? i have checked out several forums over the last few years, and generally its like they are all rude until you arent a "noob" anymore, then like a year later they like you, and actually respond to your posts... thanks for being awesome and sweet!
Old 03-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Here is a passage regarding post dates from the recent book "Pushed" by Jennifer Block p. 11-12

"It used to be that a pregnancy lasting beyond 42 weeks was considered "post-term." But today, inducing on or before 41 weeks is fairly standard across North America. "The biggest indication for induction is post-term pregnancy--41 weeks and beyond," says Hankins. This shift came after a large study that a stillbirth is more likely to occur after 41 weeks. (reference 19) But the absolute risk is extremely small, the difference between .5 stillbirths per 1000 at 40 weeks and 1 per 1000 after 41 weeks. (reference 20) And Hall argues there's no evidence that time spent in the womb is to blame. "The babies who are stillborn at 41 weeks die for the same reasons as babies who are stillborn at 39 weeks," he says. Between 15% and 20% of pregnancies reach the 41-week mark, so potentially removing that tiny risk requires subjecting a very large number of women and babies to the risk of artificial labor, the consequences of which have not yet been fully teased out. Hall calls such a policy "nonsense." "Women should not be led to believe that "another few days will kill my baby," he says.

To the contrary, the French obstetrician and author Michel Odent, also a critic of the induction "epidemic," as he calls it, argues that labor begins when the baby is ready to be born. Odent likens gestation to apples ripening on a tree: "You wouldn't pick them all on the same day, would you?"...Requiring an induction for every woman by 42 weeks is "a little bit childish, a little bit irrational," says Odent. If you induce all women over 41 weeks, this leads to a higher rate of cesarean section."

User Tag List