how much did finances factor into your decision to uc? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 03-26-2010, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm weighing all my prenatal and birthing options before I have a second child. I'm very interested in having a midwife, but the cost could prove prohibitive just depending on circumstances. I'm never sure if hubby could get laid off, we're low income and it's hard enough to try to create an emergency fund so one incident could potentially deplete any savings we'd have toward a midwife. Even doing monthly payments, depending on the situations, could prove impossible. In that case, I'm wondering about ucing. I was just curious if any other mamas decided on ucing because of, or in part because of, finances.

(And before anyone is wondering why I'd try to conceive in some of the decisions I was describing... Right now we're doing well financially, hubby has a stable job and in a few years our income will marketedly improve. I'm just trying to prepare myself for any situations that could come to help me be more empowered and educated when I finally am pregnant.)
#2 of 30 Old 03-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for me, finances was not a consideration. it was an added benefit, though, i guess.

i think that if you are going to be conceiving in a few years, then you might consider seeing if you can set up a fund for the birth. also, if it is a second child, you might ask for $ for the birth on your registry, KWIM?

i think that financial reasons "should be" low on the list for choosing to UC.

it is important that you feel safe in your birth. if you feel that your birth would be safe and happy as a UC, and there is financial benefit, then awesome. if you feel that an attendant is necessary for a safe and happy birth, then i would be creative in any way possible to have the attendant at that birth.
#3 of 30 Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM

I am considering an unassisted birth due to inability to get a midwife that is willing to see me. Midwifery here in Illinois is not legal and heavily lobbied against. The cost of "conventional health care" has become very cost prohibitive. It shouldn't cost $17-20,000 to have a child. So yes. For me it is a cost consideration. I shouldn't have go that far into debt to have my child.
#4 of 30 Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 PM

It was what made me consider UC seriously. Even after I found a midwife who would have done her best to take me on free/cheap and a doctor who was homebirth friendly and totally natural minded, I was 100% set on UC. I would'nt've considered it without the financial consideration (ie, couldn't afford a midwife) but once I started thinking about it it grew more and more appealing.

Grace - wife to Jeff and mama to Nigella (11/08) and Orrin (01/10)- expecting a new addition (05/12)! Life is a whirlwind, but I'm learning to enjoy the ride!

#5 of 30 Old 03-27-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Don't get me wrong. It's not TOTALLY about the money. I mean, I'm quite aware that I'm dealing with my health and the health of my unborn child. I'm just thinking about the options I have to have the birth and prenatal care I'd like.

Midwifes in my area are NOT common. Right now I only know of one within two hours of me. She seems like a very nice lady and she does take payment plans. But even if money doesn't become an issue there's always the chance that she won't be free, or that we won't click for whatever reason. And as far as an ob/hospital birth, I don't really think I want that this time around. I'm going to be requesting my medical records so I can read more about what their reasons for a c section were-not that I'm necessarily expecting it to even make sense, lol. When I get pregnant I might discuss things with my old obgyn and see how he felt my ability to birth really is. (I'm concerned only because my mother had a horrible delivery and recovery giving birth to me and very nearly died-and apparently because she has the same issue I had). I'm considering, if midwifery doesn't work out, to use an obgyn for initial care and an ultrasound and then in the second or third trimester going it alone.

But I cannot ignore that money is an issue as well. It's hard to feel empowered about your options when you know that if you were to get pregnant at the wrong time, or if something were to happen, what happens to your body could be out of your control. That is where the financial practicality of ucing appeals to me. I feel safe birthing with my husband-he's great under pressure and he has medical training. It's more uping the entire pregnancy that makes me nervous, but I'm slowly learning more about that as well.
#6 of 30 Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Banned

please don't get me wrong either. i didn't assume it was the sole reason or even the primary one.
#7 of 30 Old 03-28-2010, 12:26 AM

i had always had my heart set on a midwife. we were by no means "poor" when my first ds was concieved, but there wasnt $5000 floating around for us to be able to have a midwife. so we went through kaiser, which was paid by my dhs union.

now, on the other hand, after having a disappointing/bad experience with the kaiser birth, and after my dh being out of work for five months, and me being a sahm, UC is not only empowering for me, but its also a lot more affordable

eta: havnt UCed yet ... baby is not due until aug

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#8 of 30 Old 03-28-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

I didn't take offense zoebird, no problems. I just didn't want to give people the impression I just didn't want to pay for healthcare. I know there is much much more to the decision of ucing.
#9 of 30 Old 03-28-2010, 03:44 AM

it was huge. because of the laws of alaskan i could bring up a midwife from the lower 48 OR i could go to another state to have the baby. lots of $$$ and more then i had. it was one of the biggest factors. (other then the stupid vbac laws)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#10 of 30 Old 03-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Being in Canada my son's hospital birth would have been completely paid for. I didn't want a hospital birth. I originally wanted a Midwife and homebirth. But being that I gave birth really fast to my first and the only midwife nearby was over an hour away, I felt it would be a waste of money. $3000. Now Midwifes are also paid for under our health care but the're still very few of them. So the money made me choose to take one step further and have a UC but the hospital would have been free too, just not the option I wanted.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#11 of 30 Old 03-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Yes, money played a role in our decision. It is also a part of our personal mission of being more independent. (imho) Not having to spend money for something you can do yourself is empowering...like making your own baby food and breastfeeding--there's a health pay off as well as a financial one.
#12 of 30 Old 03-28-2010, 05:46 PM

It was a big factor for us and when I really needed some support I didn't call my backup because I knew I didn't have the money to pay for it. We're very very low income and have a large family. We were actually talking about it yesterday about how we couldn't afford a midwife and I had to explain to my partner that I don't want to hear him saying it would have been a waste of money because it makes me feel like I wasn't worth spending our little bit of savings on. In the end after UPing and UCing for 24 hours I transfered and gave up my homebirth for a speedy hospital vbac. I'm ok with it but would it have been worth the money to have someone to talk be out of crazy transition decisions like transferring to the hospital. Heck yes. Would I UC again if I got pregnant again. Absolutely.... but I'd hire a doula or something. I found I really craved that woman to woman connection during birth.

Lucia , Poly )O( Lactation Counseling mama lady.gifvbac.gifto 5 yo Goobersuperhero.gif and 3 1/2 yo MZ twins twins.gif Peanut and Sweetpea and 1yo Pumpkinbabyf.gif mmm placenta.gif
#13 of 30 Old 03-29-2010, 03:26 AM
L J

I would say that my financial situation was one of the factors that led me to consider UC the first time around, but once I started reading and thinking about it, it just clicked that it was the right thing for me to do.

With my first pregnancy, I had good BC/BS health insurance, but I live in a state where midwifery is illegal and therefore not covered by health insurance. So, after reading about the cost of midwife assisted births in my state, I thought, eh - I have a family history of short labors anyway, who needs one? And I kind of went from there.

But, I knew that I had fantastic health insurance as backup should I need true medical assistance.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#14 of 30 Old 03-29-2010, 04:30 AM

I'm so happy to find this thread because I had been wondering the same thing. We can have a fully paid for hospital birth, or pay over $3000 for a MW assisted homebirth.

I already like the idea of UC and absolutely feel that birth in inherently safe. I love the idea of my husband delivering our baby.... But for us, the financial aspect is also playing a major role in our decision making.....

Super crunchy Mama to DS1, DS2, DD and wanting a bunch more!  We homeschool, bed share, homebirth and baby wear. We're attached, we only cloth diaper and we don't vax. There's a lot more to us than that, but it won't all fit. 

#15 of 30 Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM

honestly, finances were kind of rolled together with my number 1 reason for uc'ing my son: i didn't want a birth attendant ruining my birth again, and why should i have to PAY someone $3500 to interfere with and ruin my birth again? i trust birth, and my body and i know i can birth just fine with my dh supporting me. also, i can provide all my own prenatal care. and it's a fun learning exp as a student mw.

now, this time, i kinda wish i had the $ to hire a mw, ONLY because i'd like someone to fuss over me, but i can still pamper myself in other ways: prenatal yoga classes, massages, birth and pp supplies that i don't need but want (birth ball/pool, new sling, some new clothes), luxuriating in the river, things like that.
#16 of 30 Old 03-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

i want to luxuriate in the river.
#17 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 06:14 AM

It wasn't a factor at all - but then I live in the UK and health care is essentially (I can't change the amount of tax we pay! lmao) 'free'.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#18 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I haven't had a UC yet, but it's not a reason for us.

I had a pretty good midwife birth for my first in hospital

My 2nd was a natural birth at a kaiser hospital, i loved having a doula my mom hired but birthing at that place was no so great and i left AMA when my son was 6hours old, the post partum room was horrible and small and it was shared with another person.

When we get pregnant again i have my heart set to UC, we will probably do backup care with a obgyn since we are already paying for healthcare might as well use it and it'd be great for the just incase we needed to go to the hospital.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#19 of 30 Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

No, finances were not at all a factor. In fact, it didn't even occur to me until well past the decision that we'd be spending that money differently than other new parents. I don't think money is a good reason to UC, but it is a nice bonus. Even so, if it were illegal to UC and there were a heafty fine, I'd still UC, even if an assisted birth were 100% free.
#20 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraia View Post
It was what made me consider UC seriously. Even after I found a midwife who would have done her best to take me on free/cheap and a doctor who was homebirth friendly and totally natural minded, I was 100% set on UC. I would'nt've considered it without the financial consideration (ie, couldn't afford a midwife) but once I started thinking about it it grew more and more appealing.
It's not the reason I made my ultimate decision but it is what steered me in the direction. So glad it did!

Free-birthing, un-schooling (Waldorf style), extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering Earth Mama to Kayleb, ( 10/07) and Anaya ( 5/10)! Joyfully married to my beloved I hug trees and plant seeds.
#21 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 04:16 PM

Finances played a huge role in determining how to birth for me. When dh and I found out we were expecting we discussed a midwife and how we couldn't really afford it and he said "I don't see why we couldn't do it ourselves." So, we did. A hospital birth would have been paid for because of medicaid, but I did not want to birth in the local hospital again. I did however, see an ob for regular prenatal care.
#22 of 30 Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

No, finances weren't a factor. We had very good insurance w/ DD, almost nothing out of pocket and $35 co-pays. If we had chosen a mw hb, we could have paid the sum.

This time around, finances still weren't a factor. But we messed up and didn't add maternity to our insurance, and now it's a pre-existing condition that won't be covered. So....WTF

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#23 of 30 Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 AM

Honestly, my first, finances were a HUGE factor. And though I knew I wanted to homebirth, if I had had insurance or money to pay out of pocket, I don't think I would have hesitated getting a MW or even possibly being talked into going to the hospital.

So, finances made up about 95% of my decision to UC my first. After that, it was all about what was best for me and my baby.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#24 of 30 Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM

We have medical insurance for over here which would have covered the birth by cesarean (only option for twins here). We could not afford to fly me back to the USA for months though. And there were no midwives willing to come my direction that I could afford.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#25 of 30 Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM

Sort of - if we had huge amounts of money I would have hired a mw to come and sit in the living room and be super hands off, if we even called her in the first place. That would have been like, I forget the actual number, but I think it was like $8000. (That's almost a year's income for us.) Since I didn't even really want her for anything more than a back-up, the plan didn't really take hold. Instead my "backup" was the Medicaid midwife/birthing center down the street. (Excellent backup, btw, despite being Medicaid. If I had to do it over again I'd have them again any day, but we've moved out of state.)

mama of DS(3) & DD(2)
#26 of 30 Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM

At first it was, but then it just grew on me and I knew I could do it myself. Why pay someone JIC when I can go to the hospital and have it covered?
#27 of 30 Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

It didn't play into our decision...but I think it's a catalyst for a lot of people. I say that's a good thing.

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#28 of 30 Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM

I agree with AllieFaye - Even if hospital births were free and there was a fine for "not getting to the hospital in time" I would still UC AND UP.

We have insurance that pays 100% after we meet our $5000 deductible, which is what we wanted for emergencies, considering that is the only time we would seek medical care. Adding a copay to the policy just wasn't cost effective. So we're covered in the event of an emergency.

selectivevax.gifcd.gifbfinfant.gif & Part-Time EC
#29 of 30 Old 04-22-2010, 02:05 AM

Finances were not a factor for us just a bonus. Going to the hospital would've been free through our insurance. We did pay a midwife for prenatals and I wasn't sure until in labor if I was going to call her for the birth or not so we were prepared to pay her $1500. The money was the last thing on our minds. I agree with above... I would UC again even if it was illegal and I had to pay a fine.

Proud Army wife to my best friend, mama to River (5/07) and Willow (2/10)
......... i love my life! ..........
#30 of 30 Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 AM

Not going to lie, they are a pretty big factor for me. I could give birth in the hospital for free, but I'm terrified of hospitals. Every time I think about giving birth in one again I start to panic. So unless there is an emergency and I must go to the hospital, homebirth is the only option that doesn't terrify me. But unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover a midwife and I can't afford one out of pocket. I'm lucky that I live practically within walking distance of a hospital and I have a very bright sister that is very supportive of home birth and is willing to read up on what to do in an emergency situation. I'm nervous because this will be my first natural labor/birth, but I'm confident that I can do it.

DS 8/4/04 "You're my best mommy in the deep blue sea!"
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****40*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page