Would you UC if you lived here? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I live in a small city where our hospital won't even deliver babies here! You have to drive 1hr to the next city and have your baby at their hospital instead! So as you can imagine, our hospital isn't really a hospital, it's more like a place to get ultrasounds, bloodwork, etc done. There is an emergancy room, but I'm sure for anything really serious, they would send the patient to the next city if they are able to....

So my question is, would you try to have a UC, knowing that if there was a problem, help would most likely be an hour away?
I'm sure our hospital could handle SOME complications, but I wouldn't trust them for anything serious if you know what I mean.

Would you try it (assuming that you wern't a high risk pregnancy) or would you have the midwife there just in case? (she's coming from the hour away city too, but at least I could call her ahead of time and she should be there before any problems might arise).

I'm so torn, I'd really love to just hide out in a corner and have this baby myself, my own way. But then this voice in my head keeps reminding me, "what if something happened and you didn't have an hour to get to help?".

Any advice, or have you been in a similar situation?

Thanks!
#2 of 27 Old 04-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the decision would be mostly determined by what you're comfortable handling at home. There is such a range of we women who choose to UC would handle complications. I hate calling them "complications" let's call it "less than ideal." So "less than ideal" retain the placenta. Some of use would consult medical professional after an hour others would wait days.

Personally, I would only be going to a hospital under serious complications that needed surgery or to repair significant tearing. Having a midwife at my birth wouldn't be the medical professional that I would be wanting to consult, because I would be wanting to see a surgeon.

If it were me, I would research where the best hospital is in the area for having a major complication to be treated. Then I would plan to UC in a hotel, or rental around the corner. But that's me and what I'd be comfortable with! I had major complications after my UC, and if I were to UC again I would want to be near an excellent hospital. With my daughter's UC, I labored and delivered her in my house around the corner from the best high risk hospital in the bay area. If I hadn't any complications with previous deliveries (or maybe more of them?), I might be more comfortable doing a UC in a more rural area further from medical care.

One of the major reasons I choose to UC is because I believe it's the safest choice for my health and my child. For me, I feel safest doing it myself, unless there is a major problem. But what your choice should be dependent on your values, comfort, and plans to deal with the less than ideal. I'm sure you'll make a good choice!

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#3 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 03:38 AM
L J

I'm in the same boat right now, mama. I live in a small town with a joke of a hospital, and the closest real hospital that delivers babies is just under an hour away. I am familiar with one midwife in my area (illegal here) who will even consider me, since I am honest about planning a UC with my first (two other midwives said no, they wouldn't see me, since I would probably decide to UC again). She lives about 2.5 hours away.

I am UCing anyway.

I was on the fence the first few months of this pregnancy, but one day I just realized - HEY! This is what I am going to do, again. My first UC was perfect, and I guess that was my main hangup at first - knowing that it was so wonderful the 1st time, wondering if it ever could be again. I have found peace, and will UC this baby in the middle of nowhere town in which I live.

With my first, I could see the state's most respected maternity hospital from my kitchen window. So, I do have a whole new set of things to consider this time around, but I really don't feel too differently about the whole thing. I never considered the hospital during my labor with Henry, I doubt it will cross my mind with this one, either.

And, if something should come up, I will just trust in my local paramedics and myself, to know in time that I need them.

Good luck with your decision.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

#4 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM

It's definitely a personal choice. I was in almost the exact same situation as LJ for my first UC.

Christian, homeschooling, military wife.  luxlove.gif

Mommy to 5 wonderful girls and a super baby boy.  

Expecting another sweet energy.gif late August. 

#5 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 PM
MJB

I'd probably hire the midwife, especially if it's your first. I wouldn't want to have to drive an hour after the birth to get a tear stitched when I could have it done at home (not saying you're gonna tear, but it's pretty likely with a first baby and I'd err on the side of stitching it, personally).
In a real emergency, for most things there is probably a general surgeon/ER doc who could handle it at your local hospital. But for the minor "less than ideal" things a PP mentioned, it'd definitely be more convenient to have the midwife there or on call.
I'm planning my second UC in July but I would reconsider if there wasn't a hospital nearby with birth/c-section capabilities and a good NICU. I might consider having a hotel room UC or staying with a friend who lived near a hospital.
#6 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 08:38 PM

*I* would, but it's definitely a matter of what you're comfortable handling.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#7 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would probably hire the midwife. Especially if the distance to hospital was the largest issue and that nagging voice-listen to your instincts.

Are you in Southern IL? There are about NO hospitals here that deliver. One about an hour away stopped doing OB at all a few years back even though it's the closest hospital for several counties or women, and they will NOT even do emergency deliveries. If you come in with the baby hanging out, they hold the baby in (literally) and throw you on a helicopter/ambulance to go an hour away. There have been several deaths thanks to this and a less than happy population. Unfortunately, midwifery is illegal here. The hospital here in town does OB but I don't trust them removing a splinter, so if I have complications this time, I will make the hour drive to a real hospital.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM

My midwife is an hour away, and my last birth ended up with my hubs delivering our son. She arrived 10 minutes after he did. I am glad I had her. I needed her afterwords--for several reasons. I feel confident that we could handle a planned UC for this pgncy, but I really liked having someone take care of me and the after details.

So that's what I would do. Hope that helps. Best of luck making your decision!

Jessica: wife and helpmate to a farmer and mama to two girls and two boys
#9 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 AM

I would probably hire a mw and have an agreement than you want her to be as hands-off as possible during the birth. I think I appreciated my mws even more after the birth than during labor. I did need a couple stitches, and I liked that they helped get me cleaned up and settled into bed with my tiny new baby and exhausted husband.

Also, an hour feels like almost too far for the nearest medical care, even for something routine like stitches, but especially for something potentially more serious and time sensitive.
#10 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM

My last freebirth was in a town of 200 people, 5 hrs away from the nearest hospital. It was also a 3 minute labour, so it really wouldn't have mattered where I was, but I had already planned the freebirth. There, women leave town at 38 weeks (I have had a 44+ and 46+ pg -both freebirths-, so that long of a stay would just be ridiculous; we have other children and dp works) and stay in a hotel until they go into labour- then go to the hospital, and it has a horrendous reputation, lawsuits, etc... The next closest hospital was 7 hrs away.

Now we're 35 minutes to a hospital and it takes the medics 35 minutes to arrive at our home because they are stationed at the hospital. I'll still be freebirthing.

I think you really have to examine your level of confidence and what is essential to you during birth and what you consider risks and whether you are emotionally and in all ways realistically prepared to deal with them should they arise.

If I were prone to panic, I may have chosen otherwise, but as it is, I am forensic and calm in critical situations and I am also very intuitive and easily hyper-focus, so labouring even with what I would consider risks was not concerning to me. I prepared as I needed to be able to act should I have needed to do anything out-of-the-ordinary.

A very necessary part of labouring for me is going into it content and calm; if I were nervous or unprepared in the ways I know I need to be, the likelihood of issues coming up would likely have been higher, imo. I affect myself, it turns out.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#11 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
If you come in with the baby hanging out, they hold the baby in (literally) and throw you on a helicopter/ambulance to go an hour away. There have been several deaths thanks to this and a less than happy population. Unfortunately, midwifery is illegal here. The hospital here in town does OB but I don't trust them removing a splinter, so if I have complications this time, I will make the hour drive to a real hospital.
This is criminal imo. I have often marveled at how having a medical licence seems to allow a (obviously morally compromised) person to commit heinous acts against the most vulnerable people in society whereas if I did that to anyone and that person suffered damage, I'd go to jail.

ETA: And outlawing midwifery while refusing medical care to labouring women is in the same category of criminality, imo.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#12 of 27 Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 PM

No, I wouldn't UC. I wouldn't even have a home birth, but thats me. Both my boys were born in small hospitals with midwifes, completely naturally. I live more than an hour from a level 2 trauma center, 1.5-2 hours from a level 1. I'm just not comfy with the risk that something would go wrong, as unlikely as it may be.

Good luck.
#13 of 27 Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
This is criminal imo. I have often marveled at how having a medical licence seems to allow a (obviously morally compromised) person to commit heinous acts against the most vulnerable people in society whereas if I did that to anyone and that person suffered damage, I'd go to jail.

ETA: And outlawing midwifery while refusing medical care to labouring women is in the same category of criminality, imo.
I agree. There was a recent tragedy with a young mother. ***Disturbing***

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead! Highlight to read message!
They wouldn't even check her when she came in, told her to go home she was "young and overreacting" and the baby died when she got home-drowned in the toilet as she was convinced she wasn't really in labor and the baby fell in and had too much fluid in it's lungs and wasn't breathing by the time the EMTs got there.

They should be prosecuted. Hopefully our MW licensure will finally pull through this year so we can catch up to decent modern society.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#14 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 04:38 PM

Well, I would UC in a heartbeat. Much sooner than I would try and go to that hospital. I would feel much more confident in my abilities than I would in theirs.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#15 of 27 Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I've taken a long time to come back and post!
(been really busy, and not my usual forum)

To the poster who asked where I was from, I'm in BC, Canada

I want to thank you all for your advice, opinions and concerns. It is really helpful to hear the different "sides" of the situation.

I think that after a lot of thought I will have the midwife present but ask her to be hands off unless requested to help out, or if she sees any problems arising.

I'm thinking that for any URGENT problems, our hospital must have some sort of "plan" and I think I will be asking about what they have in place for such situations. And for anything less urgent an ambulance ride will make the 45-50min drive quicker.

I don't have any other fears about a homebirth, and this "hospital distance" fear is becoming not so much of a problem in my mind now.

I thought about the idea of getting a hotel near the hospital in the next city, but I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable there. I'd really like to just be at home where I can relax and deliver calmly and quietly.

Thank you all again for your advice. Hopefully, come mid Aug I will have a successfull homebirth story to share with you all
#16 of 27 Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Well I met with the midwife and didn't really connect with her, I let her know that I didn't feel a "click" with us and so won't be using her

So now I'm thinking it will just be a UC afterall, unless I feel at the time that I NEED to go to the hospital. I'm confident in myself though that I won't need to. Positive thoughts
#17 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 12:14 AM

I would UC. I would call my midwife as soon as labor started to keep her updated and to give to time to get to town and I would just have my UC and call her afterwards. If you freak out or have a problem you'll know she's available.

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
#18 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellercrys View Post
Wow, I've taken a long time to come back and post!
(been really busy, and not my usual forum)

To the poster who asked where I was from, I'm in BC, Canada

I want to thank you all for your advice, opinions and concerns. It is really helpful to hear the different "sides" of the situation.

I think that after a lot of thought I will have the midwife present but ask her to be hands off unless requested to help out, or if she sees any problems arising.

I'm thinking that for any URGENT problems, our hospital must have some sort of "plan" and I think I will be asking about what they have in place for such situations. And for anything less urgent an ambulance ride will make the 45-50min drive quicker.

I don't have any other fears about a homebirth, and this "hospital distance" fear is becoming not so much of a problem in my mind now.

I thought about the idea of getting a hotel near the hospital in the next city, but I don't think I'd feel all that comfortable there. I'd really like to just be at home where I can relax and deliver calmly and quietly.

Thank you all again for your advice. Hopefully, come mid Aug I will have a successfull homebirth story to share with you all
I would suggest at least talking to your hospital to find out how they handle situations "just in case." You don't have to tell them what your plans are, and if they don't have a maternity ward, they probably won't ask. But, especially given what's been previously posted, I don't recommend assuming that the closer hospital must have some sort of "plan." If you HAVE to show up there for any reason, it is always a good idea to know ahead of time how they handle things.
#19 of 27 Old 05-09-2010, 05:50 AM

In an extreme emergency, getting to any hospital in 1 hour may not be enough, but at least any hospital can stabilize the mom/baby to transport further to another hospital.

I just attended a birth that ended in dire emergency (partially separated placenta), and 1 hr away would not have been close enough.

UC if you feel that's what's best for you but remember there are things out of our control that can and still do happen.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

#20 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 PM

LOL! Sounds like where we live! There's a 'hospital' about a half hour away, but it's the same thing there, they don't 'do' births, and it would be at least an hour drive away, assuming that traffic isn't bad.

We UC'd our first baby, (couldn't find a midwife who would come all the way down here) and I am very glad we did it that way. Having people poke and prod me would have driven me INSANE. I did tear (but it was due to me becoming panicky during transition and putting my hand down there during a 'birthing wave'. Later my mom found out that we hadn't rushed to the hospital (my mom can be very histrionic!), and freaked out until I told her we'd get the baby checked out (never mind there were absolutely no problems). Then we were treated like criminals at the hospital, they actually dressed up a cop as a 'doctor' to try and 'catch' us at something. What, I have no idea. When they found out we gave birth in another county the guy actually stopped 'taking notes' and basically said something about it being out of his jurisdiction and LEFT. Here's my birth story.

I don't need that sort of crap or hassle this time around, if something would go wrong, we'd call an ambulance. That would most likely get here faster than us driving to the hospital anyway. For me, a good birth experience is not having to 'rush' anywhere, or have to fight with the bureaucracy of a hospital to have a birth that I can most likely do myself anyway.

I did go to that same hospital for pre term labor (due probably to bad nutrition, trying to put drywall on the ceiling and not drinking enough liquid), and the L&D was eerily quiet. I asked if there was anyone in there and they claimed they had a full house. The whole place creeped me out big time, and it just reinforced my 'inner voice' that was saying I could birth at home.

Hopefully this time will go well and there won't be any problems. I always trust my inner voice, which hasn't let me down. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#21 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 05:22 PM

I would either look for a hands-off midwife, or if I did choose to UC, do it in a hotel near the better hospital. I have had two uncomplicated, very hands-off homebirths, but I don't quite feel comfortable UC'ing unless it were the only option save a hospital birth (and a low risk pregnancy). I definitely would not feel comfortable UC'ing an hour away from a hospital.

FWIW my midwife is a traveling midwife and does do births in up there, and she's very hands off. Here's her info http://birthpartners.com/lc-59404-1-..._Midwives.aspx I don't know if she is booked for August yet or not.
#22 of 27 Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post
I would either look for a hands-off midwife, or if I did choose to UC, do it in a hotel near the better hospital. I have had two uncomplicated, very hands-off homebirths, but I don't quite feel comfortable UC'ing unless it were the only option save a hospital birth (and a low risk pregnancy). I definitely would not feel comfortable UC'ing an hour away from a hospital.

FWIW my midwife is a traveling midwife and does do births in up there, and she's very hands off. Here's her info http://birthpartners.com/lc-59404-1-..._Midwives.aspx I don't know if she is booked for August yet or not.
Thanks for the link, but I'm in BC, Canada (the site says she's in Montana)
Maybe I will see if the main midwife is willing to just come for the birth, but not do any of the prenatal stuff.... I wonder how that would work for our insurance. It will cover the midwife care, but I'm wondering if using my regular doctor for reg apointments until the birth and then calling the midwife at the time of birth would cause a problem with the insurance (since the care then switches from my doctor to the midwife at the last minute)???

I'll give the midwife a call and see what she thinks
#23 of 27 Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the link, but I'm in BC, Canada (the site says she's in Montana)
I also know of at least one BC private birth attendant who is willing to travel, but that would not be covered by MSP.

I would be very surprised if a registered midwife was able to attend your birth without being involved in your prenatal care, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to even if they could. Are they allowed to even practice in your town, so far from a hospital that does births? I'm not trying to be negative, I just think it sounds unlikely, which is too bad. I don't know where in bc you are, so I could be off-base.

The one hour distance would not stop me from UCing, I was hoping to have one in my current house which is about 50 minutes from a hospital (fraser valley)

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#24 of 27 Old 05-21-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post
I would be very surprised if a registered midwife was able to attend your birth without being involved in your prenatal care, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to even if they could. Are they allowed to even practice in your town, so far from a hospital that does births? I'm not trying to be negative, I just think it sounds unlikely, which is too bad. I don't know where in bc you are, so I could be off-base.

I talked with the "main" midwife and she did tell me that she would need to, at the very minimum, seem me for the weekly visits starting at 36 weeks in order to feel comfortable attending my homebirth. (so she can can get to know me, and my medical history, etc)

So I think thats what I'll be doing, I'm totally fine with having prenatal care from the MW, I just didn't want it from the 2nd midwife that they wanted me to see to begin with (didn't click at all). But there is a 3rd midwife at their office that the main MW said is quite different from the one I met and that would be the one she brings to the birth with her. (They are required to have 2 people at homebirths).

Oh and she is qualified to do homebirths in our town, and totally covered by our medical.
You say "so far" from the hospital that gives births, but it is only an hour. I know thats not comfortably close for some, but I don't feel that its too far really. Espeically when we do have a hospital (even if they don't "do" births) that is 5-10 minutes away from our house.

One way or another I will get my homebirth, lol. I'd just like the midwives to be there for reassurance. Not really for me, but more for my Mom (who is not happy with the homebirth idea....) and my DH (who I suspect might get a little nervous when the time comes).
#25 of 27 Old 05-26-2010, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I
You say "so far" from the hospital that gives births, but it is only an hour. I know thats not comfortably close for some, but I don't feel that its too far really. Espeically when we do have a hospital (even if they don't "do" births) that is 5-10 minutes away from our house.
I was under the impression that registered midwives were not able to attend homebirths unless they were within a certain distance from the hospital, but I guess that was incorrect. I'm glad the MW you like is able to come to your home!

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#26 of 27 Old 05-30-2010, 12:40 AM

Yes i would. the distance wouldn't stop me.

We are going to be moving and i found out the hospital that our new insurance covers will be a good 45 min drive away without traffic and that is driving on 2 major freeways to get there.

But i know if it was a major needing to get to a hospital now and have no time to drive to the one insurance covers there is a local hospital that would be a slightly closer drive.

Kami(30)knit.gifDH(34)Alex(9),brokenheart.gif(4/05) brokenheart.gif(7/05),Ryker(7)brokenheart.gif(11/10) 
rainbow1284.gif Harlan (11/4/2011)http://www.desertreadingloft.com--Independent Usborne Books Consultant

#27 of 27 Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM

I live on an island where the only hospital is an hour away. I UC'ed and had to drive to get stitches.

I personally did a lot of research on complications in order to make myself more comfortable. I made the decision that the risk of complications where my baby would only be saved had I already been in a hospital were not great enough to forgo UC.

My advice is to visualize your birth. Do what feels right in your visualizations. I knew my babys cord would be around his neck twice but that it wouldnt be a problem. I dont know how i knew but I KNEW.

knowing what i know now if i had the money i would have gotten a midwife and done and oops just to make it easier for many reasons

I think one should only UC if they feel in their heart it is the only way to go. You need to be totally OK with your decision or your fears will effect your labor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page