Need help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok first I want to say thankyou for this site! I've been looking for somewhere to ask questions and get info on this subject!

I am currently pregnant with baby #3...my first two were c sections. The first was because he was breech, and the second was attempted VBAC. I called the hospital when I was in the beginning stages of labor to ask when they wanted me to come in, and they said right away! so I did, with the understanding it was to labor there. When I got there however, the doc told me I couldn't try for a VBAC (I was already 100% effaced and 3 cm) because they couldn't find my original o.r. report...sooo I had another c section.

I really don't want another c section! it is scary! another surgery is so risky! I've called everywhere within two states of where I live. And absolutely no one will allow me to do a VBAC. Soo, the more I research it, the more I think a UBAC is my only option for a natural birth. I do have a supportive spouse, and family.

Any advice on the subject, or anyone that has a similar story please comment! Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 12:52 AM

Not sure how much you can or would want to travel but I know several people that go to the farm to deliver VBAC. I don't know how far that is for you (its in TN somewhere) or how much its costs, but it may be something to look into if you want a MW/team there. Otherwise I don't see any problems offhand about UBACing. Would you be UPing also or getting shadow care?

I don't really have any experience or advice to offer. But I wish you luck and support if you have questions though this is my first UC.

Emergency Childbirth by Gregory White was recommened to me and i find it useful. and copyied it in pdf so i can reference it easily if something comes up.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! unfortunately I wouldn't be able to travel that far. I live in the Texas/ New Mexico area. So far it is going to be an unassisted birth, because I can't find any midwives who will assist.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 AM

i don't have any experience with this.. but for peace of mind, you may want to consider UC'ing in a hotel room near a hospital?

i really feel for you.. it's awful how after one cesarean women in many states lose the option to attempt to give birth naturally..
Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 AM
L J

What a tough spot to be in, mama. I am so glad to hear that you have a supportive spouse and family. That can go such a long way towards facilitating the birth experience that you want and deserve.

I have absolutely no experience with UBAC, but I couldn't read without replying, because my heart really goes out to you. It is so unfair that you cannot find a middle ground in getting the birth you desire because of ridiculous laws and restrictions.

I hope that others reply with some valid information for you. I hope you can have your UBAC!

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

Old 07-16-2010, 05:21 PM

In the area I live in the hospitals do not do vbac. But no hospital can make you have a surgery that you do not want/no medical indication to do so. You have to sign wavers and they make it very hard to do a vbac. You must feel comfortable were you birth or it is not safe no matter were you are. You can labor till you feel like pushing and baby starts decending walk in and have a vaginal birth. They can not make you have a section, but you need to be prepared for lots of flack and little to no support from hospital staff.Stick to your guns in a respectful manner. Do what your heart, mind, body, and baby tell you to do.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babycatcher01 View Post
In the area I live in the hospitals do not do vbac. But no hospital can make you have a surgery that you do not want/no medical indication to do so. You have to sign wavers and they make it very hard to do a vbac. You must feel comfortable were you birth or it is not safe no matter were you are. You can labor till you feel like pushing and baby starts decending walk in and have a vaginal birth. They can not make you have a section, but you need to be prepared for lots of flack and little to no support from hospital staff.Stick to your guns in a respectful manner. Do what your heart, mind, body, and baby tell you to do.
Actually, in some places, they can. I have seen it happen. Mom walks in ready to push and they send her straight to the OR...so there's no guarantee there. I like the idea of laboring in a motel room, or even birthing the baby there. The Farm is a great VBAC alternative, but it's expensive.
appinkston: Have you checked the ICAN website for midwives near you who do VBACs. Also since you are in the Tx/NM area, check out Alyson Kuntz-Butler, a CPM who also runs Casa de Nacimiento...I wouldn't bother midwives associated with hospitals- the hospital usually dictates thier scope of practice, which limits it severely. However, most Certified Professional Midwives DO do VBACs, twins and breech. That is an avenue you might want to explore. I knwo there are several CPMs in that area...You can check narm.org for listings perhaps. Push come to shove, if you want to avoid unnecessary surgery again, UC might be your only reasonable option...prepare well, have your supplies handy, (I like Heart and Hands, myself, and Spiritual Midwifery) and go have yourself a baby!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the info Cathicog! I've called a few midwife centers around but none of them will do a VBAC for me because I've had 2 c sections...soo I will definitely look into the names you gave me, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
Actually, in some places, they can. I have seen it happen. Mom walks in ready to push and they send her straight to the OR...so there's no guarantee there. I like the idea of laboring in a motel room, or even birthing the baby there. The Farm is a great VBAC alternative, but it's expensive.
appinkston: Have you checked the ICAN website for midwives near you who do VBACs. Also since you are in the Tx/NM area, check out Alyson Kuntz-Butler, a CPM who also runs Casa de Nacimiento...I wouldn't bother midwives associated with hospitals- the hospital usually dictates thier scope of practice, which limits it severely. However, most Certified Professional Midwives DO do VBACs, twins and breech. That is an avenue you might want to explore. I knwo there are several CPMs in that area...You can check narm.org for listings perhaps. Push come to shove, if you want to avoid unnecessary surgery again, UC might be your only reasonable option...prepare well, have your supplies handy, (I like Heart and Hands, myself, and Spiritual Midwifery) and go have yourself a baby!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appinkston View Post
Thanks for the info! unfortunately I wouldn't be able to travel that far. I live in the Texas/ New Mexico area. So far it is going to be an unassisted birth, because I can't find any midwives who will assist.
Where have you looked? I'm in Albuquerque and could easily find you someone if you wanted an attended birth. Heck, I have a friend who had an OB agree to a hospital VBA3C's (baby was born 8wks early though via c-section.)

Mama of three.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I found a small birthing center about an hour from me that is willing to let me try for a VBA2C!!! thanks for all the support ladies!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:47 PM

That's great! It's always nice when things fall into place and you can try and birth the way you desire!

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Hi all

Just need to let you know an amazing resource for vbac's. It's a book called "Artemis Speaks: VBAC Stoiries and Natural Childbirth Information" by Nan Koehler.She is an oldtime midwife with a lot of old knowledge about herbs and the psychological/spiritual aspects of birth. This book covers a vast body of knowledge plus stories of vbacs. Information that is unfortunately becoming lost in the overmedicalization of birth.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellygoddess View Post
Hi all

Just need to let you know an amazing resource for vbac's. It's a book called "Artemis Speaks: VBAC Stoiries and Natural Childbirth Information" by Nan Koehler.She is an oldtime midwife with a lot of old knowledge about herbs and the psychological/spiritual aspects of birth. This book covers a vast body of knowledge plus stories of vbacs. Information that is unfortunately becoming lost in the overmedicalization of birth.
OMG! I always suggest this book! I LOVED IT! Some of the stuff was outdated, like when it talked about purple pushing for women in the hospital, but that's to be expected. I always recommend this, and we're getting a copy for our ICAN library.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appinkston View Post
Where? There are a lot of Texas midwives that would do a VBAC...HBAC, etc.

Wife to Mark, Momma to Matt & Bryan : Joe & Jonathan - Labor Doula
Old 07-21-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

The area I live in supports vbac's, IF it's only after one c section, or if you've had a vaginal as well. I have had 2 c sections, and no vaginal. That is why I was having such a hard time finding someone to help me. I live along the border, nea el paso area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccadoula View Post
Where? There are a lot of Texas midwives that would do a VBAC...HBAC, etc.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
Actually, in some places, they can. I have seen it happen. Mom walks in ready to push and they send her straight to the OR...so there's no guarantee there.
They have to obtain a court order and the court then apoints someone to be the childs guardian, all this needs to happen before they can force you to a section.

Midwife & Mom to Gracen 9 luxlove.gif, Avery 6joy.gif Urijah 4superhero.gif Greta Sue, 9-9-10babyf.gifuc.jpg  Oh Baby! 1sttri.gif Due in April

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM

Congratulations and many well wishes for a natural, non medical vaginal birth! You can do it if given the support you need.

May I suggest going to the ICAN website http://www.ican-online.org/ and using their forums, a wonderful community of women like you who have been successful and are there to help you along your path with this wee one!

There used to be a yahoo group for ICAN, you could look there also. I am not sure if they replaced that with the boards? Anyone know? I've been unsubbed for a long while now!

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Well, I had 3 c-sections then a hbac. However I had a lay midwife. We are trying for number 5 now which will be uc. I really hope you can find a middle ground you and your babe deserve it.

Wife to a wonderful man,cd.gif ,lactivist.gif,femalesling.GIF,familybed2.gif,hbac.gif,belly.gif, planning a uc.jpg in November!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 AM

I just came across this a few days ago:

http://www.acog.org/from_home/public...07-21-10-1.cfm

I'm not sure how long it will take for OB/GYNs to change their standard practice but hopefully in the near future things will change.

I don't have advice to offer but I wish you the happiest birth! I had a forced c-section and it has prevented me from having anymore children. (hugs)

Lilly, mum to one handsome boyand to one of God's angels in heaven
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 AM

I went through the same thing! I really hope you get your VBA2C! My CBAC was for same reason, doctor said I could and when I went in he just sectioned me. STUPID doctor. Anyway I found a hb midwife for my third, she wasnt great but our pretty much only option other than UC, which we thought about but went against our gut to do it. She doesnt trust birth like she says, anyway she transfered us after a long labor no problems and we had baby in hospital shorty after arriving...if only she would have had patience! This time around got smart and we are planning a UC and not having the negative energy she was putting off.

You can do it!!! Congrats on finding someone. Just FYI (for what its worth) even with a birthing center I wouldnt go in, in early labor. I would wait it out maybe nearby hotel or something if its an hour away and wait till you are in active labor.

Katie - Mama to E1 (7, c/s), E2 (5, c/s), E3 (3, VBA2C), E4 (1, UC)
...expecting another princess in March/April

Questions about VBAC? PM me!

ICAN Chapter Leader

cd.gif ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gif uc.jpg hbac.gif h20homebirth.gif

Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 PM

glad you found someone.. I was also going to post the ACOG new guidelines thinking maybe you could bring it a few places and see if they'd be willing to work with you but it looks like you got it already.. Congrats and good luck with your VBA2C.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10

User Tag List