Was anyone's UC NOT a profoundly life-changing experience? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't had a UC yet! But I don't expect it to be life changing... in fact I want it to feel integrated into our life... like just another day, working together and being a family.

My second birth (birth center, natural) was super-empowering because it contrasted so sharply to my first. I felt so amazing because I did it without any medical intervention. I woke up, went into labor by nursing my DD1 and went to the BC to have my baby. 4 hours later she was here and 3 hours later we were home.

The only thing that could top that is having a UC that is like a normal day. I cannot wait to be pregnant one day and then have a baby the next without a big production or leaving the house!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 04:39 AM

"I was wondering how other UC-ers feel about their experience(s). What did your UC do for you? Was UC "just a birth" for anyone here? Is there anyone who was NOT profoundly affected by their birth experience on a deeply personal level? "

It strengthens my resolve everyday. I know now i can trust my instincts. I can stand up to the whole world that says my lifestyle is wrong. I know what is right. I am the strongest person i know.

thank you for asking this question because i never thought about it until now.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
I haven't had a UC yet so I'm eagerly reading all the reflections on everyone's UC.

Sorry but this totally made me laugh. But on a serious note, I'm a bit concerned on how DF will react once we're there. He's fine with it all and whatever i want to do, but i'm just worried that he'll freak out and in return freak me out.
About DH's with bad timing, my husband was in the shower with shampoo in his hair when I started to push. I didn't know i was about to push either. I got in the tub, he got in the shower. Labor had been so calm and smooth he thought we had hours. LOL!!! He was going to go to the store, get snacks, drinks, etc, and come back in 20 min. I got in the tub, totally relaxed, more than I could have ever imagined, and FELT myself dilating, which was super cool, and then freaked for one contraction, because it was SO intense, then realized I was complete and started to push! Had my sister not been there and pried my fingers off her to run and get my DH out of the shower, he would have missed it! HAHAHA
As it was, it took him "forever" to get OUT of the shower, after rinsing his hair, dry off, sortof, and put on shorts, to come the whole 10 feet over to the tub just in time to step in and catch her! LOL! It was hilarous to me, in retrospect, but my sister did NOT think it funny! She was panicked, but I was completely calm and in the zone. The midwife didn't make it there till an hour later... major screwup in communications between her and her partner midwife, argh. But, that was my first and unintentional UC and it was perfect!
- Jen

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 AM

I've not read a whole lot of prior responses...

But this thread makes me smile. Because that is exactly what this is about. I feel like... if you have it in your heart and your head that UC is the right thing to do, then the change has already taken place. Regardless of how the birth ends up, you already understand that in the vast majority of cases, birth is natural and wonderful, and spiritual and life-altering. Whether you decide to UC and end up having a c-section, or whether you decide to UC and end up giving birth alone in the woods, you *get it*. When you decide to UC or UP... THAT is the change. What comes after is purely coincidental.

Tristian, vegetarian wife to Matt, intactivist, UC supporting mama to my little earth-child-in-training, Ginny (4), and my sweet boy, Finnian (2).  Due mid-July with our third little one!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauinokaoi View Post
"I was wondering how other UC-ers feel about their experience(s). What did your UC do for you? Was UC "just a birth" for anyone here? Is there anyone who was NOT profoundly affected by their birth experience on a deeply personal level? "

It strengthens my resolve everyday. I know now i can trust my instincts. I can stand up to the whole world that says my lifestyle is wrong. I know what is right. I am the strongest person i know.

thank you for asking this question because i never thought about it until now.
That is how I feel too! Thanks for posting that!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyMama View Post
I've not read a whole lot of prior responses...

But this thread makes me smile. Because that is exactly what this is about. I feel like... if you have it in your heart and your head that UC is the right thing to do, then the change has already taken place. Regardless of how the birth ends up, you already understand that in the vast majority of cases, birth is natural and wonderful, and spiritual and life-altering. Whether you decide to UC and end up having a c-section, or whether you decide to UC and end up giving birth alone in the woods, you *get it*. When you decide to UC or UP... THAT is the change. What comes after is purely coincidental.
Yes! I agree.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 AM

After a beautiful almost painfree birthcenter birth with a mw, then an insanely long and painful hb with midwife, our third child (first boy) was born UC-and it was fantastic. My shortest labor, easiest, not a lot of pain straight forward birth. I never worried in the slightest. I felt great.
I didn't UC with the next two (one was mw assisted at home, the other a birthcenter birth mw assisted) because I never got that...mental and heart felt 'go ahead' assurance. There were a few issues in those births that while they weren't a big deal overall, I know ME and I know I would have made them into something bigger. So I went with my gut instinct and I was right.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 08-07-2010, 02:16 PM

When I gave birth to my son, it was just another day. I chose to UC without hearing about it from others, doing research, or having a bad assisted experience. It was just what I wanted. Becoming a mother has definitely changed me but not the birthing experience itself.

User Tag List