fetal doppler - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i want to get a fetal doppler, have any of you gotten them and what do you think of the one you got? i don't have alot to spend, but i don't want to be wasting money either. and renting one seems pretty silly as they can be expensive after 5 months.

thanks

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Isn't a doppler some sort of ultrasound? I wouldn't do the U/S or doppler again, I read it can cause problems. A stethoscope seems much safer IMO.

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#3 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 04:47 PM

I have one that I used during my first pregnancy. It was about $40 and was nice to have piece of mind....cool to hear the heart beat anytime I wanted and others had fun listening too. It also had a recording feature.

Now I just lend it out as friends find out their pregnant or let my kiddo hear his own heartbeat (which he's been intrigued with lately).

I haven't read anything about the dopplar being harmful, but my son seems to have turned out just fine.

Center
#4 of 22 Old 07-21-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

happily: do you recall the brand?

thanks

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#5 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 03:19 PM

Yes a doppler is a form of ultrasound.. All you need to do is google risks/dangers or ultrasound and there will be more then enough info..

As a person who had a full term loss, having a doppler during my last unassisted birth (who is now 3 weeks old) was very important to me.. I got mine off e-bay for about a 100 dollars.

I used it twice in labor, I had my husband do it once and then he was off taking my older children to school and I checked when I knew I was ready to push..

If the benefits out weigh the risks then get one but if you just want to hear the heart beat i would reccomend a fetoscope..
#6 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
happily: do you recall the brand?

thanks

h
Oh, no, sorry. It's loaned out at the moment or I would look for you!

Center
#7 of 22 Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

just to clarify: i have no issue with the occasional use of a doppler. what i would love to know is what brand people have used and if they liked the brand they got, if they felt it was worth the money.
i have 5 healthy children, but i have also had three miscarriages. so yes it do "just want to hear the heart beat", i feel better knowing the baby is alive especially since it is a bit early to feel it.

h

#8 of 22 Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 AM

I got one just just about 100$ I use it just about once a month and for DH since even when I make appts he can never go. I still have no found it from my move so I am not sure what brand it is.

Michele, wife to my soul mate, hero and solider, momma to
K-03/98, B-01/00, D-03/02, M-09/03, TL-12/04, TM-09/06, I-10/08 edd 02/02/11
#9 of 22 Old 07-27-2010, 01:31 AM

Just last week or two my husband and I were finally able to feel our baby move from the outside. At least once a day now we are able to feel him kick our hands.

At my last prenatal check-up she put the doppler to my belly and BAM! he kicked it TWICE. Not just once, but twice, a couple inches apart.

He kicked it harder than he has ever kicked our hands and it was as if he was kicking the doppler itself on purpose.

It may just be in my head, but that was the first time it occurred to me that maybe a doppler's not a great thing for a baby.

I had read stuff about ultrasounds but never heard the mention of an actual doppler as unsafe.

My immediate reaction was, "wow, he doesn't like that doppler." Even if that doesn't make a lot of sense...

I'm interested to see that some think it's harmful.
#10 of 22 Old 07-27-2010, 02:03 PM

I got mine off of ebay.. it was around 80 dollars. It's a sonoline. I had a miscarriage 6 weeks prior to conceiving this baby so I felt I needed it for peace of mind. It helped with the anxiety. I never left it on my belly for very long, just long enough to hear the heartbeat and then I would shut it off. It was especially helpful when I wasn't feeling as icky at the end of the first tri before movement really kicked in.

ETA: I just want to say the doppler is the only intervention I have sought out this pregnancy. It really helped me relax when I felt it was hard to relax. I have not had an u/s or sought out prenatal care even. know it's not totally in line with the UC 'philosophy' but that doesn't necessarily fit for everybody and every situation.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#11 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 PM

My understanding is that 1 min of doppler use = 30 min of Ultrasound exposure.

Personally, I wouldn't use a doppler. Here's one article that convinced me not to. There are many more out there.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#12 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestolearn View Post

Personally, I wouldn't use a doppler. Here's one article that convinced me not to. There are many more out there.
Not a UC mamma but found this thread through a search.

This article is fantastic, this was what I showed to DP when he wasn't sure on the whole avoiding us, doppler use.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#13 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

i appreciate all the concern... but after 3 miscarriages i want to know my baby is alive. so i got one. if you choose not to use on, be my guest. i support all sorts of peoples views and choices. again i did not ask for scary stories i wanted product information.

h

#14 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so there are some on ebay that are waterproof and sell for fairly cheap- a mw I work with has that one and it works ok the button is a little tricky as it is inset so you push the button down lower than flush but the cost was less than 150$
#15 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestolearn View Post

We all have our reasons for making the choices we make. I also don't knock someone for their choices... like I said we are all on different paths in this journey and have had different experiences that cause us to make different choices. I'm quite certain that those of us that have used the doppler that are choosing to have a UC birth know the supposed risks and are comfortable accepting them for peace of mind which is necessary in any pregnancy.

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#16 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Demeter~ View Post
We all have our reasons for making the choices we make. I also don't knock someone for their choices... like I said we are all on different paths in this journey and have had different experiences that cause us to make different choices. I'm quite certain that those of us that have used the doppler that are choosing to have a UC birth know the supposed risks and are comfortable accepting them for peace of mind which is necessary in any pregnancy.
I agree. I wish I had one during my last UC. I had a stethoscope (my fetoscope was terrible), but it's hard to check with that when you're laboring IME. I would like one this time, again, but they are so expensive! I wish I could buy one secondhand or rent one for a little while for cheaper. I know all about the safety issues and sure my kids have kicked the doppler. They've also violently kicked and punched me. It just amplifies the noise-and they tend to kick when you push in the belly at all, like while feeling for body parts and position.

OP- Can you update us on which one you get if you do get one?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#17 of 22 Old 07-28-2010, 08:36 PM

I'm not knocking anyone for their choices, just sharing my perspective and information. Feel free to ignore my post if you wish!

Quote:
I'm quite certain that those of us that have used the doppler that are choosing to have a UC birth know the supposed risks and are comfortable accepting them for peace of mind which is necessary in any pregnancy.
This actually hasn't been my experience, either here or on the Bornfree forum. Many women have assumed that they are safe because their midwife used one, or that dopplers are less "intrusive" than ultrasounds.

Also, with respect to the OP, lots of other women read these threads and may be interested in this information, even if you already have made up your mind.
3lilchunklins likes this.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

#18 of 22 Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Considering that the Sonoline B is FDA approved, I also believe the benefits outweigh the risk. Speaking from personal experience, using mine has quelled any worries and kept my stress levels down. I believe that is the best thing I can do for my baby.

I did a lot of research and decided to get the Sonoline B since it seems to be the best one out there. I actually got it for $57 which seems cheaper than everyone on this post so far.

I got it at fetaldopplerbeats.com. I really can't recommend this product enough :joy 

#19 of 22 Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM

I have ordered the Sonoline also. Should be getting it in a few days. I had a fetoscope and found it so difficult to use. I want peace of mind during the labour...first UC for me :)

I got mine for 57 also...plus shipping. 70 total.

Good to hear it is highly recommended!

#20 of 22 Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 PM

I would rather avoid ultra-sound waves and doppler use (this is my first pregnancy I am not planning to get any sonograms/ultrasounds) BUT I ordered a doppler for about $50 on ebay.  In my case I will likely only use it during labor IN CASE we cannot seem to find it with the fetoscope we have and are concerned at some point about the baby.  I got a Sonoline B.  I hope it works well if we need it.  I will post a review but it won't be for awhile.  

Right now it's kind of early to hear the heartbeat clearly with the fetoscope since I'm only 16 weeks along.  We tried but my husband couldn't really tell, even though he's heard our previous baby with the same fetoscope but it was later in pregnancy.  

I plan to read the link about doppler use, as I like to be informed about what I'm using so I'm glad someone posted that BUT I totally understand where someone who has been through several losses may really need to feel some peace of mind and being stressed out during pregnancy is not good for mama or baby either.  

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
#21 of 22 Old 04-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Okay - I just wanted to update here.  My Sonoline B came in the mail yesterday and we decided to go ahead and try to find a hb.  I went over my concerns with my husband that I wanted it to be as fast as possible to limit exposure to the ultra-sound waves.  It took him all of 5 seconds to find the hb (I'm 17 weeks) and see the rate on the screen.  It wasn't the best because he wasn't pushing as hard as a mw or ob/gyn does with a doppler (from previous pregnancies) but it was enough that the doppler picked up the heartbeat clearly and it was obviously the baby's heart-rate, which was around 120.  We decided that was plenty for our knowledge and "records" since we are up and uc.  We don't plan to use it again until the birth and only then if we feel something might be wrong *if* we can't pick it up well on the fetascope.  Overall - it was cheap, it worked and it worked well enough and fast enough that we were able to really limit baby's exposure time to a doppler to much shorter than it would be with conventional care.   

Rachel, mom to 6 children.
Our blog!
#22 of 22 Old 04-02-2014, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFiona90 View Post

Considering that the Sonoline B is FDA approved, I also believe the benefits outweigh the risk.

I know I am a little late on this thread but this sentence kind of bothered me. The FDA approves all sorts of products that aren't necessarily good for you: amalgam, certain food additives, livestock anti-biotics, etc.. The "FDA Approved" sticker really gives me no peace-of-mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page