so if your baby is sideways ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... did (s)he get to head down position in time enough for the birth?

my planned UC is just a couple weeks away ... im approx. 36 weeks ... ive been having lots of back pain at night, lots of leg cramps, lots of nesting ... i feel like this baby is coming sooner rather than later ...

oh, and we have also been UPing

while the baby was smaller, it was definitely for sure sideways. then i SWEAR he got into the "right" position, but now im not really so sure. i dont feel a butt the same way i felt it with ds1. but i also dont feel a butt or head anywhere. its more like tons of little pointy things which i assume are elbows or knees or feet.

where is his butt!?! lol

either way, has anyone started their UC and realized that their LO was coming out/stuck sideways (which i guess, means that he wont come out at all, right? except cesearean birth?) how did you react? 911?

Coffee, Vintage and Kids.  My Life.
              reading.gif  jammin.gifdust.gif   1sttri.gif

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#2 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 06:48 PM

My baby was breech for a while, and he moved just before labor. Do you have the option of waiting, and then going to hospital if your baby is still transverse when you go into labor?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#3 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

my guy preferred to be transverse and when not transverse, posterior (head down). i labored and birthed him posterior.

so, 1. a baby can move before or during labor into the right position; 2. if after a bit of labor you still feel the baby is not in a good position, you can go to the hospital to get help.

i wouldn't bother calling 911 unless you cannot get to the hospital without an ambulance. it will take a while for the ambulance to get there, and then to get you to the hospital. if you just get in the car and go yourself, you cut out the middle man. just go to the hospital if you feel that you need to.

i had such a surreal experience in my labor, wherein it was totaly painless, but i got tired and just wanted it to be done. this was transition, but i didn't totally realize it. i was like "hmm, maybe we go to the hospital, just to get it done." and then my husband and i laughed because we were like "what are they going to do for us?" and we realized that we just had to wait it out.

then the baby was born pretty quickly after that.
#4 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My 4th was posterior after I swear being transverse for a long time. The chiropractor helped.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#5 of 11 Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 PM

Is there a hb midwife nearby where you can get position confirmed? I would not want to be at home with a truly transverse baby. But I wouldn't want to go the the hospital, only to find out that he's anterior,(or posterior) and then they don't wanna let you go...and if htey break your water, they use it as an excuse to keep you. Voila, peaceful hb gone...on another note, it could be he's in the process of switching from Breech to Vertex, and that is normal for this time frame.
#6 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM

My 3rd was transverse until about 37 wks. I was really nervous that she would never turn but I was scheduled for a verson and when I went to that appt she had turned head down.

If I wasn't sure of her position I would check after a orgasm (I hope that isn't too TMI) the uterus would tighten around her and it was plain as day that she was laying sideways. (I am fluffy so just palpating wasn't very easy)

Baby turning vibes heading your way, I wouldn't worry until you are in labor though. I would also try acupressure, acupuncture, and chiropractor to see if it will help if you want.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#7 of 11 Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
My baby was breech for a while, and he moved just before labor. Do you have the option of waiting, and then going to hospital if your baby is still transverse when you go into labor?
well the hospital is maybe five to ten minutes away, so i could always just hop in the car if needed ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
my guy preferred to be transverse and when not transverse, posterior (head down). i labored and birthed him posterior.

so, 1. a baby can move before or during labor into the right position; 2. if after a bit of labor you still feel the baby is not in a good position, you can go to the hospital to get help.

i wouldn't bother calling 911 unless you cannot get to the hospital without an ambulance. it will take a while for the ambulance to get there, and then to get you to the hospital. if you just get in the car and go yourself, you cut out the middle man. just go to the hospital if you feel that you need to.

i had such a surreal experience in my labor, wherein it was totaly painless, but i got tired and just wanted it to be done. this was transition, but i didn't totally realize it. i was like "hmm, maybe we go to the hospital, just to get it done." and then my husband and i laughed because we were like "what are they going to do for us?" and we realized that we just had to wait it out.

then the baby was born pretty quickly after that.
it never occured to me that 911 would take more time than actually driving there ourselves ... thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicog View Post
Is there a hb midwife nearby where you can get position confirmed? I would not want to be at home with a truly transverse baby. But I wouldn't want to go the the hospital, only to find out that he's anterior,(or posterior) and then they don't wanna let you go...and if htey break your water, they use it as an excuse to keep you. Voila, peaceful hb gone...on another note, it could be he's in the process of switching from Breech to Vertex, and that is normal for this time frame.
no hb midwives anywhere near us. just the ones that work in the hospital so that doesnt do me any good =\ and i am *terrified* of going to the hospital and getting stuck there. i feel like they are going to pull the "for the sake of the baby" card ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie T View Post
My 3rd was transverse until about 37 wks. I was really nervous that she would never turn but I was scheduled for a verson and when I went to that appt she had turned head down.

If I wasn't sure of her position I would check after a orgasm (I hope that isn't too TMI) the uterus would tighten around her and it was plain as day that she was laying sideways. (I am fluffy so just palpating wasn't very easy)

Baby turning vibes heading your way, I wouldn't worry until you are in labor though. I would also try acupressure, acupuncture, and chiropractor to see if it will help if you want.
ive also noticed (here is some TMI back at you lol) that my tummy doesnt tighten nearly half as much as with my first ds after an orgasm. i wonder why? but i will try checking next time, maybe now that im aware of it, i might see the babys position like you did

thanks for the replies! im so excited for this birth!!!

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#8 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Well, ICAN states that cesarean for transverse breech should be held off until mom is 10 cm and baby hasn't turned. This would lead me to believe that babies can and will turn during labor. I mean transverse is halfway to vertex, right?

Are you seeing a chiro? I would definitely sign up for frequent adjustments over the next month or so to see if something is out of alignment and causing the transverse position.

#9 of 11 Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
Well, ICAN states that cesarean for transverse breech should be held off until mom is 10 cm and baby hasn't turned. This would lead me to believe that babies can and will turn during labor. I mean transverse is halfway to vertex, right?

Are you seeing a chiro? I would definitely sign up for frequent adjustments over the next month or so to see if something is out of alignment and causing the transverse position.
now youve scared me! i would love to see a chiro, but honestly, money is too tight. its one of, but not the only, reason for UCing in the first place. ive really been bouncing up and down on my exercise ball thing (reading on it, being on the computer on it, watching tv on it ...) and moving my hips and back and body hoping this LO will find its way

at least the 10cm thing is a bit of good news, my body probably has my "i will do it MY way" attitude and wants to hold off to the very end

cat.gifcat.gifcat.gif

#10 of 11 Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 AM

Hi there, first off congratulations on your pregnancy and pending birth. I read your post and just had to respond, I hope you don't mind since I am not a regular here anymore.

Since you don't know me let me please first tell you that I am very supportive of UP/UC and also once led an ICAN chapter as well as taught BirthWorks classes and was a doula (ALACE) trained. I also went UP with my second child, planning a UC. I put that out just b/c sometimes I know I read posts here when I was using the forum and when I read a dissenting post, I would easily dismiss it (And I should have at times!) knowing or thinking that the poster was just anti UC. lol.

*IF* baby is transverse or some variation thereof, I would be concerned about laboring at home. Maybe I would do it, but I sure would have a back up plan. A baby transverse (either complete or otherwise) does not plug the cervix well obviously during a contraction (like a head will apply pressure in an LOA or ROA baby). This means a very real risk of cord prolapse when the waters release, creating a true life emergency for the baby.

So, if it were me I would
1) Get a trained professional to assess position of the baby. (No need to worry if babe is in fact head down nicely)

2)If babe is sunny side up (you would not feel a bum in this case) I would do all sorts of OFP stuff for the rest of your gestation and also know what to do in labor as well for OFP (optimal fetal positioning).

3)If babe is transverse anterior or posterior then I would start thinking and planning what to do. I would have to make a birth plan if labor were to begin with the baby still transverse. I would consider whether I would be willing to labor at home with the real risk of prolapse. At what point would I transfer? How would I assess baby's position during labor? Personally I wouldn't want to be worried about guessing the position and wondering if I was right or wrong in a UC situation with a possible transverse. I would need to have a plan for the case where the cord does prolapse or where babe is still transverse and the waters have gone. Yes, you may be able to save time by taking a car rather than an ambulance, but you would need an extra person, and you would all ideally be familiar with what to do in the even of prolapse (mom upside down, head low on floor, butt way up, someone keeps cord wet with washcloth and water, also can have to reach in and keep cord from getting pinched by pelvis or body part of babe.). Your husband cannot do this while he drives.

*For me, I would never be willing to labor at home with a diagnosed or suspected transverse baby* the risks are just too great. I would consider going to the hospital and fighting them off left and right allowing me to labor, but ready for emergent medical care if needed.

I will have to look up the claim that ICAN thinks a transverse lie should be allowed to dilate completely prior to c/s. I don't doubt that a baby can turn last minute, but I do recognize that a transverse baby has the distinct disadvantage of not being able to dilate the cervix well during contractions. a hand or shoulder just does not do the same thing as a head or even bum in the breech position. I can imagine that getting to ten would be extremely difficult or impossible (?) with a true complete transverse baby.

So, if baby were diagnosed transverse at this time, I would be doing OFP, swimming all the time, doing headstands in the water, lol, try a version, do chiro care, talk to baby, visualize babe head down. Pray. Take homeopathic remedy. I would make a birth plan and transfer plan, and also honestly, a cesarean birth plan.

In the event that a cesarean was truly needed (scary, I know) I would want the hospital to know precisely how to make the surgery and birth as "good" as possible. ICAN could help with this, so could other crunchy mamas versed in the procedure and what can be done given the situation to make it the gentlest as possible given the situation. That may mean that you need to learn a lot about the procedure itself first. I know ICAN has a white page that describes the surgery.

Also (And I know this is an alarming and overwhelming post given the content) I want to add that I would have my antenna up about other things that may be going on. Those potential factors play into my own discomfort with laboring at home, or possibly even waiting to go into labor, with transverse baby. Sometimes a baby will be transverse or malpositioned in another way and resistant to change to LOA or ROA (version is unsuccessful or chiro is not helpful) because of some issue that you or I don't know of in utero. There could be a very real cord issue (too short or all wrapped around) or a placental placement near the cervix that prevents babe from moving from transverse. You have to wonder with a stubborn persistent malposition why they are that way. SOmetimes it is for a reason. In this case, I would think about getting an u/s done to see what is going on. Yes, typically I hate interventions and technology, but in the case where babe is transverse still and I an facing a surgical delivery, but hoping for other safe options I would need more information about what is going on for babe so I could sort out what were other options and what weren't.

So, get a TRUE assessment of fetal lie. Hopefully, you will have no issues and babe will be all set to come on out! If not a great report, try everything but meanwhile get in high gear making a birth and transfer plan in case it is necessary.

I know that this whole post could be a major downer to you. I'm gonna pray that it is all written for naught, but I felt compelled to throw it all out there so you at least had the information if you didn't already. Please check back and tell us where baby is, lol, and how you are doing.

Jaya- unschooling mama to Ariah Rayheartbeat.gif1/02   Rukundo Pacifiquebuddamomimg1.png11/08  

missing Trace Oak candle.gif 10/25/06

#11 of 11 Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 PM

I agree with getting another opinion on fetal lie. However, you still have plenty of time for the baby to turn before you really need to worry. My 3rd baby was a RCS for breech and ended up transverse by the time they did my section 3 days later. I ended up with an Inv T scar because she got stuck (was not in labor, was several days before my due date). Knowing that I would not rush to the hospital if I suspected the baby was transverse when I went into labor. What I would do if my water broke is immediately get into an open knee chest position until I (or someone else) could determine if the cord dropped out of the cervix or if it was close. If it did, then I'd go straight to the hospital, if not, then I'd try to figure out which position the baby was in then. If the baby was still transverse I might try to encourage the baby to turn one way or the other before transferring.

In the meantime, talk to your baby - explain to him or her that you really need him or her to be head down (LOA would be best!) when you go into labor. I did this a lot with my 1st vbac baby, she was breech oblique at 40 wks, but LOA by the time I went into labor 2 weeks later. With my 2nd vbac baby I started telling him at 30ish weeks that he needed to be head down for momma, he turned around 35-36 weeks and stayed there. lol Good boy listens to his momma. :-)

At any rate, you have lots of time, babies can and will turn up to and during labor. Good luck!

Student Midwife, Mom to 4 girls, 3 angel babies and 1 little boy that we are all in love with!
Ask me about my VBA2C and UBA2C after an Inverted T.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page