full term question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies, I'm curious.. What do you ladies do if you go into labor before you are full term? Automatically go to hospital or what? My dd was "late" so i never really thought about going early, but just realized I should be prepared in case. I do have an OB for prenatal care. Also, what is considered full term? I keep hearing both 36 and 37 weeks depending on the person/area i guess.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#2 of 4 Old 07-23-2010, 06:47 PM

Honestly, I am going to be 35 weeks on Sunday, and if I went into labor.. I'd stay home. Here are MY reasons:

1.) I've never had "preterm" labor, so I would trust that my baby was ready to come into the world or my due date was way off.

2.) Most babies who are truly 35-36 weeks do fine and don't need any special care. We'd be especially watchful of jaundice (good thing about a summer baby, we could go out and get sunlight!), etc.

3.) I live blocks away from the hospital. I would make sure my husband had his phone and have him call RIGHT AWAY if the baby had any troubles. We'd just be a little extra cautious.

I UP and UC, so I have no maternity care provider. But, we do have a family physician. I'd request someone from my physicians office if baby needed to transfer. Hope that helps!

Mommy to Gregory (4), Zeke (2), Edward (noob). 2 hospy births, 1 UC. Unschooling, Non-Vaxing fam. I'm a Doula and Midwifery supporter.
#3 of 4 Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I hadn't really thought about going early before and with everyone telling me how big I am and how i'm "definately" going to go early then it got me thinking what if I do. I know people just have big mouths and i'm now only measuring 2 weeks ahead instead of 4 that i'm not really worried about going really early much less before my EDD.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#4 of 4 Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiana View Post
Thanks. I hadn't really thought about going early before and with everyone telling me how big I am and how i'm "definately" going to go early then it got me thinking what if I do. I know people just have big mouths and i'm now only measuring 2 weeks ahead instead of 4 that i'm not really worried about going really early much less before my EDD.
I've been getting those comments since my second trimester. Wish people would just keep those kind of comments to themselves! We look in the mirror everyday its not like we don't know how big we are. Thanks for the question. I was wondering the same thing myself.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page