What do I absolutely NEED?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What "remedies" and/or "supplies" do you think are absolutely essential to have for birth?

I will have pads, sterilized scissors, cord clamp, etc. ALL that stuff...

But what about placenta-out, hem halt, etc...

What should I DEFINITELY have on hand? I find lists of people's birth supplies that seem to go on FOREVER, with all the oils, etc. "just in case."

I don't want to be careless, but I don't want to go crazy either. I know I should be prepared for ANYTHING, but I can't buy everything out there either.

Placenta-out is one that gives me pause. If any of you have used it, at what point did you use it? It doesn't seem necessary to use it too shortly after the birth. I am not going to start worrying until at least 20 hours.

So... what do you think is extremely important, and what has proven to be extremely useful for you?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 PM

I only used towels and some puppy pads (I chose to birth in my bedroom on the floor, hubby was worried about the carpet) Placenta came out a hour and a half after birth no problems.. I think too many peopel worry about the placenta..

Lisa
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
L J

I had nothing on hand. Shoestring and scissors for the cord, some towels, that was really it. I agree with Lisa, you really don't have to worry so much about the placenta, in most cases. I'm sure someone will post behind me and tell me I'm wrong, but I've never heard of any stories on here or in person where the placenta truly wouldn't come out in a few hours. Mine came out in less than 30 minutes, no problems.

Laura, mama to Henry 01.28.07 uc.jpg
candle.gif missing Jack, born still in the car 08.23.10 at 36 weeks 
Loving on Catherine, my  rainbow1284.gif 09.01.11, UC

Old 08-04-2010, 03:31 PM

I have heard of a school of thought that shepherd's purse shouldn't be used before the placenta is birthed, and placenta-out has SP. If you would like to have herbs on hand for retained placenta, you might look into just angelica (AKA dong-quai) or blue cohosh tincture.

As for what you "need,"
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM

anti-hemorrhagic "something" (herbs or whatever is comfortable/accessible) and a doppler/fetoscope are my must-haves. everything else is just extras.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay.

In that post with info from Susun Weed she mentioned sucking frozen pieces of raspberry infusion through the birthing time to keep the uterus strong, and that resonated with me. I'm thinking I'll do that.

I asked this on another board and I keep getting the same responses from everyone.

I don't know where all the non-minimalists have gone lol, but I like the relaxed attitudes I'm getting. It fits my own

I will have something for hemorrhaging... I read briefly (not sure where) that it's more common in overweight moms???

I haven't decided for sure on getting a doppler yet... I probably will heh... but we'll see.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 PM

Dr. Michel Odent says the only essential thing to take to births was a portable heater--it's important to keep mom warm postpartum and keep oxytocin flowing, which allow the placenta to detach easily and inhibits excess bleeding.

For My Website, Blog & Primal Pregnancy Tips: See my Profile Page!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Spiral View Post

I will have something for hemorrhaging... I read briefly (not sure where) that it's more common in overweight moms???
not sure, but i've heard it is in redheads, too. altho, i'm a redhead myself and have never been a bleeder.

i haven't come acrossed this as a maternal recommendation, but since vit k is a pro-coagulant, i personally plan to supplement w/ it as a precaution. (i had a finger prick done for tresting in tri 1 and bled like a pig)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 AM

I personally did not have placenta out, but I did have dong quai (not the same as angelica BTW, it's the same family, but a different branch - Chinese angelica). I'd be interested to hear from any UC-ers who had a real problem with retained placenta. Does anyone have statistics on how often that really happens, and what factors can contribute to it?

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I personally did not have placenta out, but I did have dong quai (not the same as angelica BTW, it's the same family, but a different branch - Chinese angelica). I'd be interested to hear from any UC-ers who had a real problem with retained placenta. Does anyone have statistics on how often that really happens, and what factors can contribute to it?
Thanks, good to know about angelica! I thought they were the same.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
I'd be interested to hear from any UC-ers who had a real problem with retained placenta. Does anyone have statistics on how often that really happens, and what factors can contribute to it?

I'm curious about this too!

User Tag List