A final ultrasound??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-25-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I basically only saw the CNM/OB group I was with until 20 weeks, then a brief discussion with the OB last week (34 weeks) where she tried to get me to consent to a cesarean and then since I was "non complient" & refused she discharged me from their care. Anyhow we've been planning to UC all along, but kinda wanted the "shadow care" in case we needed to transfer. Here are my feelings as of now, baby is still moving A LOT at 35 weeks, eventhough the nurse found the heartbeat low last week I'm not totally sure that he is head down & with how he has been moving & where I'm feeling kicks, jabs etc... not too sure he might even be transverse. With my other 2 children it was easier for me to feel their position however this time around I have since lost over 100lbs & have a lot of loose skin that gets in the way & its been a lot harder to feel what is what. Our last ultrasound was at 15 weeks & we are contemplating paying OOP to have one final one basically to check his position & where the placenta is, kwim. My wonder is should I have it done at 36 weeks or wait until 38? My only concern there is that I'd go into labor before 38 weeks if we wait. I trust my body, am not afraid of birth, etc... I just have a strong feeling he might be transverse & that is my instinct. My 1st baby was transverse & didn't go head down until after 36 weeks so I'm not sure if I should just wait it out or what. What would you suggest? (& please no anti u/s doppler comments) I am comfortable with very limited use of both.

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
#2 of 4 Old 08-25-2010, 07:05 PM

I'd say wait until your 38 weeks.. Most of time they'll have turned into position by then. If you're still nervous that baby is transverse at that point then go in. Otherwise I'd save your money. Do you have insurance? If you do, this is just me and maybe i'm morally wrong for it but i can't afford the $300 (thats what it is here anyway) OOP for an u/s, I'd go to the hospital and tell them you fell and were bleeding. Ask if they can do an u/s because you haven't felt much movement and are worried.

I was also worried that he turned transverse because of where i was feeling the kicks etc but he's head down and comfy. G/L whatever you decide to do.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#3 of 4 Old 08-26-2010, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

We have a clinic, I believe it's a radiology imaging clinic where I can go for an ultrasound for right around $100, we really can't afford it, but I really don't want to go to our local hospital because I've had a horrible experience with the OB/CNM group there & DCFS has been getting involved in a lot of people's business around here lately if they don't "abide" by what the Dr recommends & I was already discharged from her care for refusing a cesarean as she recommended so I think we are gonna sping for the $100. I really want to wait until 38 weeks, I just hope the baby will

Mrs. (28) Wife to the Mr. (26) Mama to K (10g) & J (5b). Expecting #3 10/10. Hoping for a HBA2C.
#4 of 4 Old 08-26-2010, 03:40 PM

ahh yeah i'd wait then. I just know that when I went in for an early u/s before i had insurance and everything set up they wanted 300 for the u/s plus however much the acutal appt was.. for 100 I'd probably just pay for it if you're really nervous about it. If you happen to go into labor before 38 weeks then you probably didn't need the u/s anyway. Keep in mind alot of babies will stay transverse until you reach active labor and then they'll flip with the force of the contractions.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page