giving birth the "most dangerous thing a woman will do in her lifetime" ?! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 89 Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
 
CampbellScot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: east coast
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post



Y'all have a really low opinion of doctors. I'm not going to claim that any doctor is perfect. I think that obstetrics could stand some improvements. But if I were a medical student, and I heard my own cousin express this opinion of doctors, I would be busy wondering how it was that I never noticed how badly my cousin misunderstands and mistrusts me. I might not produce my most logical arguments. There might, later and privately, be screaming and tearing of hair.
just to chime in real quick...my conversation with my cousin was pretty in depth and I never at any time told her she was stupid, or I didn't trust her, or that I had a low opinion of doctors or anything of the sort. We are as close as sisters and we can disagree without being disrespectful to one another. We would certainly never lower ourselves to hair pulling and screaming at each other over a difference of opinion. It's sort of a family joke that she is so enamored of her professors and residents right now. She changes her position on things as her professors change. This is not uncommon with young medical students. She is passionate about learning. I love her for her passion. I was a little internally annoyed that her tone took on a condescending "You can't possibly know what you are talking about" vibe while we were discussing home birth vs. hospital birth. My annoyance is what I expressed here...which I indicated. I was venting a bit. I have been trying to conceive for some time. It doesn't look like it's ever going to happen which is disappointing and I'm sure that added to my annoyance at yet another medical person lecturing me. It gets tiresome.

In terms of choosing homebirth, I would never just decide on a whim to have a baby at home without doing copious amounts of research beforehand. It is MY belief that women are often told really scary sounding things to get them to do what their doctors want them to do. I have read countless stories on this board in which women describe their "birth rape" at the hand of the medical profession. My sister, another cousin and a friend of mine had very traumatic births in hospitals. I'm not alone in my feeling that women are often bullied and patronized during the process of birth. I realize that there are as many positive stories about women loving their hospital birth experience. There are two sides to every pancake. I respect both sides. We all have to make the best choice for ourselves. It is never my position to mock or judge the choices of others, most especially not my cousin. She's wonderful and brilliant. (She also has no intention of ever becoming an obstetrician either! She wants to do cardio!) I just don't happen to agree with her position on home birth.

Bottom line, it's not wrong for women to trust their own bodies and their own choices as much as they might trust a doctor.
CampbellScot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 89 Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 AM
 
mataji4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
God, I think the point is that it's just obnoxious and exhausting to feel defensive of letting your body act naturally during one of the most miraculous, creative moments that exist! Giving birth is a physical act but it's also spiritual. Medicalizing birth has created a mass forgetting of this spiritual aspect. It's like I can't even engage in this discussion because it feels like something is missing. Statistics isn't enough.

Perhaps birth as an act can lead to complications, problems, and even death. But I don't believe that giving birth puts me or my baby inherently in danger, so I don't see it as dangerous.

I think what irks the OP about the comment is that it was meant as "Oh my gosh birth is so dangerous that you'd better birth in a hospital because it's the safest place." And that attitude is really frustrating and hard to deal with, for all the reasons that people have posted.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

mataji4 is offline  
#63 of 89 Old 09-15-2010, 12:20 AM
 
treeoflife3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tennessee/kentucky
Posts: 1,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wonder if where she is going to school, they'll be doing unconsented pelvic exams on women under anesthesia... I wonder if that would change her opinion on how much she looks up to people there.
ananas likes this.
treeoflife3 is offline  
#64 of 89 Old 09-15-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned
 
accountclosed3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
also, i do not have a low opinion of individual doctors, or even doctors in general, but i do question the broad use of non-evidence based obstetric care, or care that is applied in circumstances where it is largely unnecessary, and also just hospital/doctor policy in general, in particularly in light of how it is done in other developed nations that have better maternal and neonatal outcomes. most of those countries use midwifery care (in hospitals, birth centers, and homebirths), and have much better outcomes than the US.

i do believe that some doctors are great, and hospital births can be fine, happy births. but it certainly wasn't how i wanted to birth if i felt that it was safe and appropriate for me to do so. ultimately, i chose to UC simply because it felt right (and safest) to me, and that's what i did.
accountclosed3 is offline  
#65 of 89 Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 AM
 
MadameXCupcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Nevada Desert
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post
I wonder if where she is going to school, they'll be doing unconsented pelvic exams on women under anesthesia... I wonder if that would change her opinion on how much she looks up to people there.
That is done? Why? I dont get it.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

MadameXCupcake is offline  
#66 of 89 Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 AM
 
MsBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SE MO
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
God, I think the point is that it's just obnoxious and exhausting to feel defensive of letting your body act naturally during one of the most miraculous, creative moments that exist! Giving birth is a physical act but it's also spiritual. Medicalizing birth has created a mass forgetting of this spiritual aspect. It's like I can't even engage in this discussion because it feels like something is missing. Statistics isn't enough.
.
I very much agree with this, mataji4--and agree that the absence of this important piece in such discussion makes it hard to engage in it. Seems to me that forgetting the spiritual aspect of birth, in favor of so highly 'mechanizing' it, is among the biggest reasons that medical maternity care is so full of problems.
MsBlack is offline  
#67 of 89 Old 09-15-2010, 02:03 PM
 
jeminijad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post
I wonder if where she is going to school, they'll be doing unconsented pelvic exams on women under anesthesia... I wonder if that would change her opinion on how much she looks up to people there.
:Puke

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

jeminijad is offline  
#68 of 89 Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter
 
CampbellScot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: east coast
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
God, I think the point is that it's just obnoxious and exhausting to feel defensive of letting your body act naturally during one of the most miraculous, creative moments that exist! Giving birth is a physical act but it's also spiritual. Medicalizing birth has created a mass forgetting of this spiritual aspect. It's like I can't even engage in this discussion because it feels like something is missing. Statistics isn't enough.

Perhaps birth as an act can lead to complications, problems, and even death. But I don't believe that giving birth puts me or my baby inherently in danger, so I don't see it as dangerous.

I think what irks the OP about the comment is that it was meant as "Oh my gosh birth is so dangerous that you'd better birth in a hospital because it's the safest place." And that attitude is really frustrating and hard to deal with, for all the reasons that people have posted.
precisely. It felt like a lot of fear mongering that was being regurgitated and it felt condescending and it did indeed irk me. I still love her to pieces and I think she'll make a great cardiologist.
CampbellScot is offline  
#69 of 89 Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM
 
MsBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SE MO
Posts: 3,473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll bet you're quite right--she's hearing what her profs say and taking it all as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, feeling that this knowledge is true power...and not really questioning anything taught. Well, hopefully in time she'll mellow...and learn more...and eventually make a great cardiologist Gosh, can you imagine the mission you'd feel to 'round out her education' if OB was in her plans???
MsBlack is offline  
#70 of 89 Old 09-16-2010, 02:06 PM
 
mamabadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataji4 View Post
God, I think the point is that it's just obnoxious and exhausting to feel defensive of letting your body act naturally during one of the most miraculous, creative moments that exist! Giving birth is a physical act but it's also spiritual. Medicalizing birth has created a mass forgetting of this spiritual aspect. It's like I can't even engage in this discussion because it feels like something is missing. Statistics isn't enough.

Perhaps birth as an act can lead to complications, problems, and even death. But I don't believe that giving birth puts me or my baby inherently in danger, so I don't see it as dangerous.

I think what irks the OP about the comment is that it was meant as "Oh my gosh birth is so dangerous that you'd better birth in a hospital because it's the safest place." And that attitude is really frustrating and hard to deal with, for all the reasons that people have posted.
Medicalization has taken the spiritual and human aspects of birth away, and done worse things than that. The medical attitude toward birth has always been twisted. The idea that women's bodies were their own worst enemies has been a basic premise of gynecological medicine. It is the reason behind a history of obsessively tinkering with any female function: cutting women's genitalia, removing their ovaries, routine hysterectomies, and a variety of truly disturbing procedures to cure "hysteria." The attitude, even if it is unspoken, still drives ob/gyn medicine today.
Yes, over this long history medicine also discovered ways to cure or prevent genuine problems or risks involved in childbirth. Taken by themselves, these things are great. The problem is, the breakthroughs just serve to justify the many examples of inappropriate or damaging care, and the negative, misogynist attitudes behind them.
mamabadger is offline  
#71 of 89 Old 09-16-2010, 02:36 PM
 
Viola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nevada
Posts: 22,543
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post
I have driven on the freeways L.A. I have broken down on them. I have hitchhiked, I have hitchhiked with drunks. I once dated a guy who went on to murder his parents. I have walked, by myself, across many of the sketchier parts of my home city, at night. Without my contacts in. The most dangerous thing I have ever done is *still* giving birth.
It feels difficult for me to figure out where I've been at the most risk in my life. Still, I feel like I've done more dangerous things than giving birth, just like you feel you have not. Heck, just riding my bike to church feels more dangerous. I almost got hit by a car the second time out, and then I'm lucky my heart hasn't given out riding back up the hill. Truly, it's impossible for me to know the points in my life when I was a hair's breadth from death, or if I truly was, but there were a few situations like that in childhood where I feel like my life was in danger. And I've known way more people who have died in auto or small plane crashes than who have died in childbirth. I actually don't know anyone personally who has died in childbirth, although I've known people who have died from strokes, embolisms, blood infections and cancer.

There is always risk in life, and I suppose since there are statistics related to women in childbirth and there is a short period of time where these risks are most acute, we could say the most acute risk we may face in our lifetime could be childbirth, but I believe there are more risks that we can't quantify in that way that can be greater.
Viola is offline  
#72 of 89 Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 AM
 
midwife mum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had nice normal deliveries without mishap too, but texting and the consequences of driving drunk are quick.  The consequences of dying in childbirth are like the aftermath of those two. Slow and painful and impossible for those around them to do much about.  Perhaps you should stand with a woman who is bleeding to death from a placenta previa, or from uterine inertia after being in labour too long; perhaps you should be with a woman with shoulder dystocia who can't deliver and is exhausted.  Dangerous, yes. Look at the stats. The equivelance of several airliners of women die daily.  If this happened in your town, wouldn't you say  flying was dangerous.

 

 

Facts: maternal mortality

  • Every year, over half a million women die from complications related to pregnancy and childbirth. (1370+ daily)
  • 70 000 of these women are between the ages of 15 and 19.
  • For each woman who dies, another 20 become ill or sustain serious injuries from childbirth.
  • Women in Niger, Afghanistan, Sierra Leone, Chad, Angola, Liberia, Somalia, DR Congo, Guinea-Bissau and Mali are at greatest risk of dying in connection with pregnancy and childbirth.
    Source: UNICEF

This is our world, and it happens in developed countries too. Believe me!

midwife mum is offline  
#73 of 89 Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM
 
mindfulmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

MeepyCat, have you "crunched the numbers"?  What are your sources for this?  It is my understanding that improving public health -- nutrition, hygiene, clean water, access to medical care -- is the best way to improve maternal-fetal well-being; lack of good public health is what makes pregnancy and birth dangerous.  Advanced obstetrics is sometimes life-saving, but too broadly applied, imo.  It's the tail wagging the dog:  almost 100% of pregnant women in the developed world are squeezed into the medical model, even if it inappropriate for them, so that the 5% who really need OB care will be okay.  I want that 5% to have the care they need, but to pretend that 100% of women need it in order to birth safely is just a lie.

mindfulmother is offline  
#74 of 89 Old 02-25-2012, 07:44 PM
 
mindfulmother's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just a reminder:  maternal mortality is measured in the 100,000's.  In the US currently the rate is 13 per 100,000.  It has been on the increase, and not due to better reporting.

mindfulmother is offline  
#75 of 89 Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 PM
 
crystal_buffaloe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read through, and everyone's replies have been much more thoughtful than I'm about to be, but
1) I was hit by a car while crossing the freeway when I was 14, and land sakes, that was much more dangerous than even my craptastic c-section.
2) When some large hospitals have c-section rates of over 70%, with all the attendant risks of anesthesia and surgery and infection, I can't believe we're having a discussion on the UC board where
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

Homebirth and unassisted birth are more dangerous than hospital birth (statistically)
3) I have never had a discussion about nutrition, in my entire life, with a health care professional. Weight, yes. A nurse practitioner recently told me to "be more careful" about weight gain this pregnancy (with DD I gained 25 pounds) because I "had trouble" with a 7lb,4oz baby (see above craptastic c-section)
4) Med students do perform vaginal exams on anesthetized women without consent -- sometimes there'll even be a line waiting to practice greensad.gif The advice I got to prevent this is to write where it would be visible in Sharpie "I do not consent to a vaginal exam" anytime you have to go to the hosptial and be under general anesthesia because if you verbally tell someone, they're unlikely to go against your wishes, but they might not be with you the whole time.
5) My FIL and BIL are family-practice physicians. I respect them and the good (hard!) work they do, but that doesn't mean I think all doctors practice evidence-based medicine, and it doesn't mean I think any doctors are free from the baggage of their schooling and the prevailing culture. They both make a (really) good living, and they make less than 1/2 what they would if they were poor, persecuted, underpaid OB's.


  reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

crystal_buffaloe is offline  
#76 of 89 Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
 
BlessedOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Middle of everywhere
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I seriously don't think that giving birth is more dangerous than driving to the store 100s of times a year, flying in a plane, the contaminated air we breathe...etc.

And I think that people in third world countries and the people many, many, many years ago had higher infant/mother death rates because of lack of knowledge, lack of sanitation and honestly a lot of them may not have been healthy from the beginning and birthing just pushed them over the edge. But it doesn't mean that the birthing was the dangerous thing....it perhaps was the "straw that broke the camels back". People died earlier in general back then....whether they were birthing or not.



I think our bodies were designed to give birth and I think that UC mommas birth at the appropriate time..........now I will say that I despise the current trend in the medical field that drs play god and say well we will just induce even if it is two weeks early. I think THAT is pathetic. I think the medical world hurts things more than it helps. Sure there are the few instances where they saved the baby's life with medical expertise.....but so many times a lot of problems are created from the "medical expertise".

I choose to UC and believe it is healthy for me and my baby. I have had less problems Ucing than ANY of my friends that birth conventionally.
I support anyone that wants to UC.



And in reference to the OP......sadly I can already tell that this young lady is going to be one of the drs that cause people like us to run away from modern medicine.

I have a lot of medically trained people in my family from several nurses to several paramedics  and so on..........but thankfully none of them (at least around me anymore) freak out about me UCing. Now with the first, of course they voiced their opinion, but once I held to my guns and showed them that I wasn't some uneducated woman...they laid off and now they are even supportive of my decision.

But it is sad to see such closed minded medical persons.



Midwife mum- those statistics are more likely based primarily on HOSPITAL births. It didn't say a thing about birthing at home.
And honestly those statistics don't surprise me for hospital births. Pretty much everyone I know that birthed in the hospital had some form of "complication" during pregnancy or delivery. And no, I am not blowing it out of proportion.
Heck I know 4 people in the last year alone that still birthed......interestingly enough....they all had by the book hospital pregnancy protocols.
But on the flip side, I only know one lady that lost her baby due to trying to homebirth with a midwife and that was over ten years ago! And I know A LOT of women that have homebirthed and most of them home birthed several babies!

So I am not convinced that modern medicine has really helped stats much. Now yes, I will say that the knowledge that has been gained due to scientific research has helped people leaps and bounds as they have learned what causes the problems, but so many times I believe that there are alternatives to fix the issue without "modern medicine" And a lot of said problems can be prevented by avoiding modern medicine. Heck watch any of the medicine commercials on tv and you will see the risks are many times worse than the benefits.
Unfortunately the medical field treats people like lab rats when it comes to medicine.

BlessedOne is offline  
#77 of 89 Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM
 
Alenushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If you just have BA in psychology, then yes, you are mere psychology major.

 

If you have an MS or PhD, I presume you had to take Statistics and probably BIostastics.

 

You can do your own research but your cousin is correct. Childbirth is the most dangerous time for the women. Modern obstetrics reduce maternal mortality by over 90%.  Survival of the species is not the same as survival of the individual. Nature is famous for the reproductive wastage. Walk around in some old European grave. Read some classical literature...it is full of dead mothers. Pr better yet, look at countries that do not have modern Obstetrics such as Afghanistan, some area of India , Africa etc. There not evil interventions there and women and babies just die at the comfort of the own home completely unassisted.

 

Some doctor can learn more about bedside manners, but one thing L&D staff is hellbent on is getting mom and baby alive and well.

 

 

 

Alenushka is offline  
#78 of 89 Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 AM
 
MoonWillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pemberly
Posts: 3,857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

If you just have BA in psychology, then yes, you are mere psychology major.

 

If you have an MS or PhD, I presume you had to take Statistics and probably BIostastics.

 

You can do your own research but your cousin is correct. Childbirth is the most dangerous time for the women. Modern obstetrics reduce maternal mortality by over 90%.  Survival of the species is not the same as survival of the individual. Nature is famous for the reproductive wastage. Walk around in some old European grave. Read some classical literature...it is full of dead mothers. Pr better yet, look at countries that do not have modern Obstetrics such as Afghanistan, some area of India , Africa etc. There not evil interventions there and women and babies just die at the comfort of the own home completely unassisted.

 

Some doctor can learn more about bedside manners, but one thing L&D staff is hellbent on is getting mom and baby alive and well.

 

 

 


 

Hijacking just to note that I have a BA in psych and DEFINITELY had to take and (do well in) statistics in order to graduate.\ hijack 

MoonWillow is offline  
#79 of 89 Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM
 
UnassistedMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: CNY
Posts: 448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Alenushka, you only seem to visit the UC forum to fear-monger and to talk down to others.  I simply don't understand the point of it all.  I've been watching it for some time now, and truly, I do not know what you hope to accomplish.


dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

 

 

UnassistedMomma is offline  
#80 of 89 Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
 
BlessedOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: In the Middle of everywhere
Posts: 1,176
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Now I may be incorrect but I here is what I have noticed-


Most of the people on this thread that believe birth is the most dangerous thing we do are the ones that had hospital births and some with complications.
And most of the people that think birth is not the most dangerous thing we do have home birthed without issue....................

Hmmmm...wonder if there is any connection there. =S


P.S. I have noticed that this thread is actually really old....guess someone just revived it

BlessedOne is offline  
#81 of 89 Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
 
Alenushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I had no complications in the hospital and I think childbirth is dangerous.  All of my friends did except two who had transverse lay and needed c-section after very long and patients labor with their OBs.

 

I actually think that in USA, UC is much safer way to go than homebirth with badly educated CPMs.  American CPMs would never be accepted as MW in England, Netherlands or many other countries where homebirth is practice on national level.

 

Majority of people, when not influences by badly educated provider who preach "trust birth" ideology, will know when they are in trouble  and it is time to call 911.

 

Positive thinking helps one deal with adversity. Positive thinking does not stop bleeding, move babies into the right position or prevent placenta abruption. Believing that positive thinking can move molecules and change physical reality is not positive thinking, is it called "magical thinking" . Magical thinking is at best a sign of a mind that has no scientific background and at worst, a feature of some degree of mental illness.

 

Simply thinking about thing in certain light will change one's mood or attitude but not the actual physical reality.

 

There is lovely book on the subject 

http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Sided-Positive-Thinking-Undermining-America/dp/0312658850/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331254824&sr=8-1

cyclamen likes this.
Alenushka is offline  
#82 of 89 Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 PM
 
Slmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Positive thinking helps one deal with adversity. Positive thinking does not stop bleeding, move babies into the right position or prevent placenta abruption. Believing that positive thinking can move molecules and change physical reality is not positive thinking, is it called "magical thinking" . Magical thinking is at best a sign of a mind that has no scientific background and at worst, a feature of some degree of mental illness.

 

Simply thinking about thing in certain light will change one's mood or attitude but not the actual physical reality.

What does this have to do with UC? Are you implying all ucers think so?

 

Alenushka, it is pretty clear you are opposed to UC/nonvaxing/unschooling/some diets... and yet you feel the need to come and tell us, regularly, your opinion on the matter, like we are unaware of the criticisms to whatever choice the board is discussing. 

 

You should go post this and the book in the thread on the birth boards about the myth of "perfect birth," it would be really relevant there. There is talk over there that some women are led to believe that perfect preparation = perfect birth, 100%. I'm not really sure why anyone who has been educated or studied birth would think so (but that's a topic for that thread), I think a lot of people understand complications can arise no matter how low risk the mother or her preparations. Before and during my uc I was extremely aware of the fact that sometimes during birth, things can just go wrong, no matter your preparation/beliefs, and I made sure I knew the signs of complications I could not handle myself, to know when I would have to transfer if necessary. I have a feeling most uc'ers do understand and do quite a bit of research about complications, how to avoid, how to detect, how to deal, when to get help.

 

 

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
Slmommy is offline  
#83 of 89 Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 AM
 
M Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It DOES seem to me that throughout this thread, there is a lot of "something can go wrong and so a hospital is the place to be" fearmongering. 

 

There are people on this board that have made it clear that they are so afraid of the birthing process that the only place they would deliver is in a hospital.  And I'm glad that if they are that afraid, then this is what they chose because if you're freaking out, you will NOT be able to pay attention to what needs to be done and you need someone to do it for you--even if it comes at a fluctuating 30-50% c-section rate because for them, hospital births are clearly the safer choice.  For them a possible hospital trauma or tragedy is preferred over any other birthing tragedy because they would rather it be made by the "knowledgable" professionals than themselves.  And I would NEVER EVER tell them different. 

 

However, the rest of us on this board do seem to be lumped into an all or nothing polarizing side which we are NOT advocating--which is clear from the responses on this thread alone.  We don't seem to be saying NO HOSPITALS EVER, we seem to be saying that the risks could be better IF the hospitals would stop interfering so much.  And they're right.  We choose this route for many reasons, sure, but then so are the many reasons to choose a hospital birth.  You have to remember that it was we rebels that caused strange practices like no husband at the births and being strapped down to a table and drugged out of our minds with twilight sleep to stop being common practice.  We still have a long way to go. 

 

And for the record, there are NO reliable studies on the safety of well-planned unassisted births to compare to hospital births.  Believe me, I checked.  ALL of the "statistics" are estimates and theories based on too wide a scope to be useful--such as death rates in third-world, impoverished, unclean countries and whatnot.  Look further for yourself.  We ONLY have rates for midwife assisted births. 

 

I think it would benefit those who feel the need to weigh in on the dangers of unassisted childbirth if they would understand what we are ACTUALLY saying, and understanding that we are NOT saying this is the right decision for everyone--ESPECIALLY those with KNOWN high risk factors.  It's ironic that those afraid of UC would tell us that we HAVE to accept the many unsafe and unproven practices or they are going to question our sanity.  It's strange to me further that they keep saying "well, that was 100 years ago in the medical field" and it's much safer now.  But, that's not what we're finding out.  It stands to reason that if they were practicing unsafe procedures 100 years ago and they continue to become safer, then they are still practicing unsafe procedures NOW and it will become safer in 100 years more.  This is the same logic that the DANGER group is using.  If it was unsafe to give birth 100 years ago, then it is still unsafe to do it now and yet THAT particular thread of logic is widely accepted, and the other is not.  I can't help but wonder if it isn't the DANGER group that's turning a blind eye to facts instead of us. 

 

I doubt the DANGER group will listen.  That's fine.  But I can't help but be amused by some of the stories I hear my grandmother tell me about her births.  She STILL can't get over the fact that husbands/partners are allowed in the delivery room or that breastfeeding is best.  My mother in law can't handle the fact that her daughter's OB no longer suctions babies mouths and noses routinely, even though her grand-daughter was delivered in a hospital. It's just funny to me that we UCers (or attempted UCers) are accused of shunning "new" break-throughs and technologies when many of the things we speak out against are very VERY slowly and sporatically becoming routine in the hospitals now. 

 

 

M Green is offline  
#84 of 89 Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
 
bcgartley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post


Quote:



Originally Posted by Sijae View Post

I don't buy it.


Here are the leading causes of death for females of all ages in the US from 2006 according to the CDC. I don't see birth injury on there.


All Females, All AgesPercent*

1) Heart disease25.8

2) Cancer22.0

3) Stroke6.7

4) Chronic lower respiratory diseases5.3

5) Alzheimer's disease4.2

6) Unintentional injuries3.5

7) Diabetes3.0

8) Influenza and pneumonia2.5

9) Kidney disease1.9

10) Septicemia1.5


If you break women down by ages you will see pregnancy complications pop up on the charts between 15-34 years of age but the percentage is very low and you are more likely to be murdered, commit suicide, die from an accident, from cancer or, believe it or not, die from HIV (25-34 years). http://www.cdc.gov/women/lcod/06_all_females.pdf



The reason you don't see birth injury on this list is because of modern obstetrics. Check out the top ten reasons why young women died 100 years ago - birth and related complications will pop up much higher.


Also, don't discount the relationships between kidney disease, septicemia, and childbearing.


Quote:


But pregnancy and birth are designed to work and be relatively safe. A small percentage of women and babies are biologically designed to die (we try to prevent this through intervention) but it is much smaller than people seem to think.


Pregnancy and birth were not designed. These processes are the messy result of evolutionary trade-offs between upright walking, pelvic diameter, brain size, and infant head size (this is not a complete list), and the way that these conditions interact with environment and events.


And "biologically designed to die"? I prefer the notion that birth is risky to the notion that some people are *supposed* to die in childbirth. FWIW, I would be dead if not for modern obstetrics, but that's not an indicator of my general health or ability to bear children. I had placenta previa, which is kind of like having a passing plane drop a brick on your head - you can totally die of it, but it's just random lousy luck.


Your "modern obstetrics" have put the US number 33 on the infant mortality rate list, behind Sweden and Norway where home birth is normal. The US infant mortality rate is twice what theirs is!
Luvmykiddos03 and rlschrader like this.
bcgartley is offline  
#85 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM
 
qpmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 younger cousins in medical school. One just posted on participating on a c-section. I told her "wow! I can't imagine needing an emergency c-section! So glad mom and baby are ok!" Then she told me it wasn't an emergency, neither mom or baby were in imident danger. Now THAT scares me! I almost ended up with a c-section with my hospital birth because the doctor didn't want me to labor too long. Why? Because he had other patients.

The US has a high infant and mother mortality rate and a high c-section rate. I think that needs to be addressed! I would say in the US birth is very risky!
qpmomma is offline  
#86 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Alenushka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA
Posts: 1,854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Infant mortality rate has nothing to do with birth.

 

The stat you want to use is neonatal mortality.

Alenushka is offline  
#87 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 06:01 PM
 
qpmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see the difference now, thank you.
qpmomma is offline  
#88 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 PM
 
bcgartley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Infant mortality rate has nothing to do with birth.

The stat you want to use is neonatal mortality.


My bad. On that list the US is number 41. Still behind Switzerland, and far behind Norway.
bcgartley is offline  
#89 of 89 Old 09-15-2013, 07:58 PM
 
dalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a hospital birth last time, with complications, that ended in an emergency c-section. This time around I have some complications as well and I am planning a VBAC in a hospital with an OB. I'll probably be at the hospital from the beginning of labor and on the monitor the whole time.

Even so, I read this board sometimes to feel inspired by women who birth without fear. I feel a little sad because I won't have the opportunity to birth outside the medical model, but I'm also grateful it's there. If only I was "low risk", but I'm not. I just feel such admiration for the women here.

I think this should be a place for UCers to come and vent if they want and to find support. I don't think fear mongering or lecturing have a place here. Isn't that against the guidelines anyway? THIS IS THE UC BOARD for goodness sakes!! Sheesh.

Ugh... Anyway, I wish all you beautiful UCers the best and most beautiful births and I celebrate you. And I'm sorry for the times when you feel like you have to defend yourself just because you acknowledge your right to feel that birthing is natural and that you have a choice of how you want to do it.

That is all. :-)

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

 
joy.gif

dalia is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off