Afterpains - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-12-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember reading somewhere that there were a few good things for after pains and I was wondering if you ladies would share what you used that worked (or if something didn't work that too). I'm 38 weeks now and just realizing that I really should have something on hand for afterpains.. I have various things like shepherds purse for PPH and will be making some witch hazel pads for down there but what about for abdominal pains? I remember they were rough with my DD but not unbearable and keep reading that they get worse with subsequent kids and this is #2 for me. So what helped you the most and where did you get it? Thanks ladies I know I need to get on this if I have to order online.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#2 of 17 Old 09-12-2010, 11:32 PM

Wish Garden Herbs...Afterease.

That stuff is amazing. Highly recommend it.

I think my midwife also had me take arnica tablets for a few days to help with healing, and they seemed to make a difference, too.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#3 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

i have some arnica that i've taken a few times and put up til after the birth. I'd completely forgotten about it. Thanks!

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
#4 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 06:20 PM

I used arica, afterease, and belly binding. I hadn't used belly binding with my other children and I noticed a HUGE difference with the little guy that is now 2 weeks old! I put the binder on immediately after birth and kept it on 24/7. It was surprisingly comfortable!

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#5 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 06:25 PM

ugh, #2 way worse. My understanding is that they get worse each time.

I really like catnip. You can smoke it (faster delivery) or make an infusion. I did the tea. It's pretty tasty and I thought it really helped.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#6 of 17 Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM

A have read about, and have on hand to use:
Arnica
Afterease
Catnip
Calcium/Magnesium
Ibuprofen/Tylenol every 2 hours (only thing I've ever tried before, and it helps. But after #4 I wanted to DIE, so I'm hoping the rest helps more than this did)

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#7 of 17 Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 AM

i used a warm rice sock
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#8 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post
A have read about, and have on hand to use:
Arnica
Afterease
Catnip
Calcium/Magnesium
Ibuprofen/Tylenol every 2 hours (only thing I've ever tried before, and it helps. But after #4 I wanted to DIE, so I'm hoping the rest helps more than this did)
After #3 I thought I WAS going to die-lol. They were so baaaad. This time I am going to go for the placenta encapsulation to see if the placenta as supplement helps with the pain. The Ib/Tylenol really did not help the last time and I am hoping to just have a pain prescription (herbal or not!) from MW on hand--yes--they were that bad I almost went to the ER-lol.

Anyone ever try the placenta encapsulation? Did it help?

Best,

Rose
#9 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosegarden77 View Post

Anyone ever try the placenta encapsulation? Did it help?

Best,

Rose
My fourth was the first time I did placenta encapsulation... Did WONDERFUL things for the blues/ppd, but not a thing for the APs. Sorry.

FAs, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing, positive parenting, homeschooler

#10 of 17 Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlemamma View Post
I used arica, afterease, and belly binding. I hadn't used belly binding with my other children and I noticed a HUGE difference with the little guy that is now 2 weeks old! I put the binder on immediately after birth and kept it on 24/7. It was surprisingly comfortable!
What did you use as a binder? I'm interested to hear more about this

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#11 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 AM

Bumping this thread in hopes of reading more suggestions! I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant with #2 and am feeling a little fearful of the dreaded multipara afterpains.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#12 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 AM

I can only speak for my experiences, I am a very non-medical and medication mama.....I have an rx for narcotics for the afterpains this time. I have had progressively worse pains with each baby and this is my 6th, 9th pregnancy. I am not looking forward to the pains this time, it is always way worse than the labor and birth for me. I had a face/brow presentation last baby, UC with a transfer after a few hours..... the afterpains were worse than the birth for him.....and that was the worst.

I know that mamas have had great success with herbs, massage and other measures, I have tried many different remedies, with help from three different midwives and none have worked. One midwife said that even the christian scientist moms that she has attended have used motrin for the afterpains for their 5th and later births. I am not scared at all about the birth, the pain will be manageable, especially because I know that it is not endless but the afterpains last for days for me and I cannot deal with the now knowing when they will stop.

~laura

laura, dh Brian, ds Rory 14, dd Ellie 13, ds Caelan 11, ds Seamus 9, ds Finn 7 and Penelope 2 !!!!

#13 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyraja View Post
My fourth was the first time I did placenta encapsulation... Did WONDERFUL things for the blues/ppd, but not a thing for the APs. Sorry.
I consumed my placenta raw with my last baby, and I have to agree with this post. The afterpains were worse than with my first baby, and I don't think the placenta helped much. I'll try the herbs for my next baby .

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#14 of 17 Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 PM

After first, I didn't really need anything. After my second, a couple tylenol and I was fine. After my third, I was popping motrin like pennycandy and using a warm rice-sock.
#15 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 05:07 PM

I'm interested in the belly binding. I've only seen the ones they sell at babies r us and they're 60 dollars! Can I just use one of the spandex belly bands I use to keep my maternity pants up? Seems like that might work fine. What other sorts of shortcuts have you used for this. I'm having baby no.4 in a few weeks and I'm SCARED of the afterpains. They have gotten significantly worse with each baby....esp when they're ferocious nursers like my last two have been. Yeesh.

Thanks so much!
#16 of 17 Old 09-24-2010, 09:28 PM

i rarely ever take meds at all, but after my births, especially #3, o.m.g. i took motrin and alternated it with tylenol with codeine for the first full day, then got rid of the codeine by day 2ish and just stuck with motrin. it worked so well! by 3-4th day i didn't need anything anymore.

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#17 of 17 Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Thought I'd update. I'm on day 2 with baby #5 and the things I mentioned above are helping very much. For the most part they are less painful than last time. Still no walk in the park, but much better than last time.

I'm using mostly Afterease and Tylenol/ibuprofen, but also the rest, and warm/hot postpartum herbal baths also help while I'm in them, of course, so I was going to get out the rice sock tonight.

Must also mention I'm tandem nursing and the new girl is nursing nearly non-stop, so I'm SURE they would have been worse...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page