Unassisted pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-13-2010, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about getting a midwife this time around for the prenatal care but after talking on the phone with one and thinking about it. I don't think I need or really want one. I will go to the free initial visit but probably that'll be it. I figure I'll give her a half a shot but I doubt I'll hire her.

I have yeast issues at the moment with ringworm/jock itch. I talked to the midwife on the phone and she pretty much acted like it wasn't a big deal so that was reassurance for me. I do want her to see it hopefully at the initial visit to get a reaction to be sure it's really nothing to get too worried about.

I didn't like her recommendation to quit taking probiotics and I didn't like that she recommended getting over the counter yeast medicine for vag. yeast infection when I'm not even sure I have one. I don't want to use that stuff if I don't need it. So, I'm having my serious doubts about her.

Anyway! The thing is; do you guys think it'll more than likely be safe to UP with yeast issues? Either way I was still feeling strongly toward having a UC. I just got nervous with my yeast stuff for UP. I've been keeping it mostly under control although it hasn't yet gone away but I just now cut out all grains from my diet since the midwife mentioned that and I have read that all over the net. She said it would be good to do that at least til the yeast infection goes away. After she said those things that was practically all I needed to know.

So, thoughts?

Are there any threads with more information on unassisted pregnancy so I can do my best job of it?

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#2 of 13 Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 AM

I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest... that isn't something that needs to be monitored under a microscope for fear of killing you (and if it did I'm sure you'd seek appropriate care, as you've proven in this post), and you sound like you have it under control.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#3 of 13 Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks littleteapot for your reply.

Does anyone think I should even bother going to the initial visit. The main reason I would go is to get her opinion. After that, I have little intention of going back.

I figure if there was anything really wrong with me, she wouldn't even be able to be my care provider because if there was something really wrong with me, I'd become high risk and be forced to see the dreaded OB.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

#4 of 13 Old 09-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Think of it this way: You're not truly "forced" to do anything you don't want to. Just because someone says you're 'high risk' doesn't necessarily mean you are. Do the research, and inform yourself... then you can make informed choices about your are. If you're truly high risk you can choose whether or not to go to a midwife (yes, they take high risk and are great at it!) or an OB. If it's BS, then don't.

I would have been labelled high risk all over the dang place for my last pregnancy because I :
1/ Got pregnant 6 weeks after my cesarean.
2/ Had a past breech.
3/ Had a past premature delivery.
4/ Had a past infant death.
5/ Have pituitary dwarfism
6/ Went overdue by 3 weeks
7/ Was measuring extremely large for dates.

Was I truly high risk? Heck no. All those reasons, when broken down with my actual case history, are mostly about litigation than health. For some women they may be legitimate risks depending on their situation, but you cannot paint all pregnancies with the same brush. My second pregnancy was a fluke, not a symptom of a problem with my body.
My third pregnancy and baby were healthy and happy, and I went on to have a 9.5lber, 3 weeks over, in my bathtub in less than three hours.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#5 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Good info.

I guess I didn't mean what I said exactly about being forced to see the OB, I meant if I were TRULY high risk. I agree with you totally.

#6 of 13 Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM

I'd say go and see what she has to say... just because she gives you advice doesn't mean you have to take it. Unless you think that going would stress you out. We DO know that stress isn't good for you or your baby.

You might also want to check out following a candida diet???

Organic eating, cloth diapering, no vaxing, cosleeping, breastfeeding mean machine.
#7 of 13 Old 09-19-2010, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basje View Post
I'd say go and see what she has to say... just because she gives you advice doesn't mean you have to take it. Unless you think that going would stress you out. We DO know that stress isn't good for you or your baby.

You might also want to check out following a candida diet???
Thanks, I just don't want to deal with her, honestly. I'm trying to follow the candida diet at the moment. It's been really tough. I have a couple cookbooks in the mail that are for the candida diet and I hope they will help with planning my meals.

#8 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I was thinking about getting a midwife this time around for the prenatal care but after talking on the phone with one and thinking about it. I don't think I need or really want one. I will go to the free initial visit but probably that'll be it. I figure I'll give her a half a shot but I doubt I'll hire her.

I have yeast issues at the moment with ringworm/jock itch. I talked to the midwife on the phone and she pretty much acted like it wasn't a big deal so that was reassurance for me. I do want her to see it hopefully at the initial visit to get a reaction to be sure it's really nothing to get too worried about.

I didn't like her recommendation to quit taking probiotics and I didn't like that she recommended getting over the counter yeast medicine for vag. yeast infection when I'm not even sure I have one. I don't want to use that stuff if I don't need it. So, I'm having my serious doubts about her.

Anyway! The thing is; do you guys think it'll more than likely be safe to UP with yeast issues? Either way I was still feeling strongly toward having a UC. I just got nervous with my yeast stuff for UP. I've been keeping it mostly under control although it hasn't yet gone away but I just now cut out all grains from my diet since the midwife mentioned that and I have read that all over the net. She said it would be good to do that at least til the yeast infection goes away. After she said those things that was practically all I needed to know.

So, thoughts?

Are there any threads with more information on unassisted pregnancy so I can do my best job of it?

On my first prenatal checkup with my midwife, she said it appeared I had a yeast infection...though I really hadn't seen any signs myself. Anyway, she recommended I take a vinegar bath at least once a week, to clear up any unfriendly bacteria. She said to fill the tub up with about 4 or so inches of water, and to put a cup of apple cider vinegar in the water. I was to soak for about 20 min. I did do that, some times 2-3 times in a week. It felt wonderful, and cleared up any yeast she said she had noticed. Not to mention, it is extremely natural and gentle on your body(safe for the baby), and cheap!!! So give it a try if you like. It's some thing I plan on doing for the rest of my pregnancy. Just a simple 20 min soak once a week.  :)  Good luck!

dayiscoming2006 likes this.

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

#9 of 13 Old 12-21-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterPrego View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

So, thoughts?

On my first prenatal checkup with my midwife, she said it appeared I had a yeast infection...though I really hadn't seen any signs myself. Anyway, she recommended I take a vinegar bath at least once a week, to clear up any unfriendly bacteria. She said to fill the tub up with about 4 or so inches of water, and to put a cup of apple cider vinegar in the water. I was to soak for about 20 min. I did do that, some times 2-3 times in a week. It felt wonderful, and cleared up any yeast she said she had noticed. Not to mention, it is extremely natural and gentle on your body(safe for the baby), and cheap!!! So give it a try if you like. It's some thing I plan on doing for the rest of my pregnancy. Just a simple 20 min soak once a week.  :)  Good luck!

Thanks so much, I will try that. Mine's not a vaginal yeast infection but it should hopefully work similarly I'd think. And hopefully prevent a vaginal one. I finally am setting up with a decent hospital midwife group starting mid-January but if that bath thing works, maybe it'll all be cleared up mostly by then. That'd be excellent.

#10 of 13 Old 01-01-2011, 04:02 AM

Drinking aloe juice is also a good way to help deal with yeast, as yeast originates in our gut and shows it's ugly face in a myriad of ways throughout our bodies.  Aloe makes a yeast unfriendly environment.  https://www.foreverliving.com/marketing/Product.do?code=015  This is the best aloe juice i have found, it's just aloe (not full of a bunch of sugary stuff that actually feeds the yeast, even though it tastes better with the sugar).  You only need to drink a couple ounces (a shot) of it a day.  Good luck with the yeast--- it can be a bugger!

#11 of 13 Old 01-02-2011, 03:13 PM

Ds is a rough n tumble little boy that gets into ALL manner of things. He's managed to bring home ringworm two or three times in the past. (It seemed to be really prevalent in our old neighborhood. His little crew he romped with were always cycling someone through a ringworm quarantine. lol) Anyway, I've found the quickest and easiest way to clear it up is apple cider vinegar. I just diluted it in a spray bottle, and sprayed down the effected area every couple hours. It was usually gone within 2-3 days. The dog took a little longer when he got it, maybe 4-5 days. I think it was because his fur complicated things.

As for UP, it sounds like having a care provider is just a comfort issue for you. If you are personally comfortable proceeding on your own, go for it. You can always change your mind later. If it makes you nervous or worried not to have that support, than certainly seek it out. Just make sure it's someone that gives advise you agree with. If this lady doesn't, find someone else. If there aren't any in your area, I know of a couple birth professionals that work with long distance clients for prenatal care only, and that would fit perfectly with your desire to UC. If you want info, just PM me. Personally, I'm planning UP/UC unless something unexpected forces my hand. ;)

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#12 of 13 Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. I'll try the ACV thing. Hopefully it'll work. I've actually had ringworm for around 7 months. Totally sucks. I am seeing a midwife hospital group for the first time this month. Medicaid will cover it. 

#13 of 13 Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Very cool. I hope you like them. =)

If the diluted acv doesn't work, you might want to just spray it on undiluted. If you've had it that long, it may take a stronger solution to kill it off. I would think pouring it in your bath would work well, too, as was previously suggested. It certainly can't hurt!

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page