Blood panel record & possible transfer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas!
I'm 16 weeks pregnant and am UPing for now. I haven't found a midwife I like and am considering UC.

I remember being told by someone that if I transferred to the hospital without a blood test showing HIV- status, the baby could be taken for a spinal tap. This is kind of strange sounding, and I don't know if it's accurate (I'm in NY if it matters), but I would be absolutely devastated if the baby was taken and tested for anything if I transferred, simply for lack of blood test records.

So, I went to a local midwifery center to see if they could do a blood draw for me, and they acted VERY strange, saying that it was a big liability and they couldn't do it because I didn't have a primary practitioner, etc, etc. Nothing they said made any sense, but they refused. I don't have a primary care physician either, so I don't know where to go or if I even truly need a blood test. I had it with my first and all was well with negative STDs and immunities, I'm Rh+, etc.

Do I actually NEED a blood panel record in case I transfer to the hospital?

If so, where could I go to get one without signing on with a midwife or doctor for that sole purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 PM

Can you get the records w/ your blood type & Rh status from the first pregnancy? A hospital would want to know this in case you need an emergency transfusion.

As for HIV status, can't you just go to the health department & ask to be tested for HIV (and possibly other STDs identified through blood test, such as syphilis); you could get a pap smear for other STDs, too. Then you'll have a record of your negative status.
#3 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 AM

NY is weird on HIV. Make sure the the information you get is NY-specific.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 AM

You can order your own blood tests in most states though there are a few, 3 or so, where it is against the law. I don't know if NY is one. Check prepaidlabs, directlabs etc.

Otherwise, I would think any walk in clinic would run a prenatal panel and HIV test for you. Just tell them you haven't found a provider yet but would like to get your initial bloodwork taken care of.

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#5 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 AM

I think you should just go into a provider and do their normal first patient thing. Go ahead and make your next appointment. Call and go in for copies of your blood work. Then call and cancel and tell them you will call back to reschedule, just don't call back to reschedule. I did this while pregnant with my last baby. I even consented to a pelvic exam so that I could show I was negative for everything.

Trisha

P.S. Hope you don't need it!

hh2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 AM

Apricot is right, NY is different from a lot of states - it requires all babies to be screened for HIV. Meaning, if you were to transfer to L&D without documentation of your HIV status, YOU would have to be tested at the hospital. If you were to refuse, only then would they be legally required to test the baby (with or without your consent.)

However, HIV is definitely NOT screened for using a spinal tap, so no worries there! It is a rapid blood screening.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page