UBAC? What do you think? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a cesarean back in June of 2007, after a very healthy pregnancy. I only gained 29 lbs. I went into labor naturally, but as soon as I got to the hospital everything slowed waaay down (of course) and that's where every intervention known to mankind was put into place, against my better judgement.

I want a home birth this time (I'm "due" March 11). I would love to have a midwife present for those "just in case" scenarios, but we don't have the money for that. I'm totally comfortable with birthing from home, but I am not confident that I would know what to do if something came up. How do you prepare for the "what if"s.. I do not want to go to the hospital, unless absolutely necessary.

Can someone give me statistics on UC, and how successful it is? I think that might make me feel better about this decision. This is what I want. I want to birth in the privacy and comfort of my own home, but I need to be more confident that everything is going to be ok. I know my body can birth the baby, but what about the things I can't control, like the chord being around the babies neck, or hemorrhaging, or the baby already pooping before birth, etc.. I would trust the midwife to know what to do, because she would have tons of experience and knowledge, but I don't, and I'm afraid that I still won't feel like I would know what to do after only researching for a few months, compared to years that midwives have.

Any good books, or other resources you can recommend? I need them to be really convincing, lol. Especially since I need to convince my DH who doesn't understand why I don't want to go in and do it "the easy way". He's been completely supportive with my wanting a home birth, but I don't know how well this will go over with the whole unassisted thing. I haven't had much prenatal care yet. I'm taking vitamins that were ok'd by a midwife, and I've been watching my weight which seems to be going smoothly. I'm wondering if maybe I should get OB care through the military and then "accidentally" birth at home...What are your thoughts. I need convincing, because this really is what I want to do.
#2 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have read through the Unassisted Birth Resources, and that's A LOT of books. Can someone recommend like a Top 5, to start with? I will continue to educate myself through those links provided by I need some positive reinforcement as well, haha!
#3 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Knowledge gives confidence. Keep on educating yourself. There's lots of free info about different stuff online.

This book is free in PDF but also available in hard copy from amazon. I think the info is pretty good...
"Emergency Childbirth"

Studying that and looking up more info and successful birth stories will help you with your confidence. I feel safer at home than I do in a hospital so that helps me with confidence too. Sound like you might feel the same.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I totally agree with you in the red. I just want to be completely 100% comfortable. Right now I'm at about 85%ish Thank you!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
Knowledge gives confidence. Keep on educating yourself. There's lots of free info about different stuff online.

This book is free in PDF but also available in hard copy from amazon. I think the info is pretty good...
"Emergency Childbirth"

Studying that and looking up more info and successful birth stories will help you with your confidence. I feel safer at home than I do in a hospital so that helps me with confidence too. Sound like you might feel the same.
#5 of 10 Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM

I wouldn't worry about the previous cesarean- the chances of uterine rupture are slim to none. I've had 2 cesareans, and after both the scar could not be found on my uterus. (This is assuming you had a transverse cut).

I am having prenatal care prior to my ub, and I feel like prenatal care isn't a terrible idea. My only worry would be depending on where you live, are you going to be able to find an ob that will say they'll do a vbac for you? It's getting rarer here in WA unfortunately.
#6 of 10 Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah there are two that I e heard of that are supposed VBAC friendly Dr.s... if/when I go with OB prental care do I just go along like all is hunky dory and then "oops" the baby out at home?

As far as the docs go, too...I don't have a lot of choice since my I aura ce is tricare and they are lame lol. Hopefully I can find one though. I'm guessing the importance of a VBAC doc over just any ol' one would be in case of me having to go in, right?

Thank you. I'm working up the courage talkingt talking to DH and some others about it. Wish me luck. :-)
#7 of 10 Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM

Here are some interesting statistics gathered by survey.

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/stats.html

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 10 Old 10-01-2010, 05:12 PM

I don't believe that OB care through pregnancy is a bad thing, just keep in mind that they may start talking about another c-section pretty early. They will also watch you more closely, not wanting you to go over term at all. You can stand up to them, they can not force you to c-section or induce early. Many doctors feel that a "big" baby is a bad thing in a vbac and the choice if you make it to 40 weeks is either section or induce. Nothing you can't handle, just something you should be prepared for if you use an OB.

You can find a lot of info on herbs and supplements to have on hand. I keep a running document on my computer and copy notes into that just in case I ever get my UBAC. Closer to the end you can go through your notes and buy what ever you feel comfortable having on hand.

You need to decide how early/late you are comfortable going. If you were close to your due date with your first baby and you have the same DH, chances are you will be about the same time with your second but there is always a chance that you will be a bit earlier.

Ina May Gaskin is a midwife at the Farm in Tennessee. She has wonderful beliefs in the female body's ability to birth babies. Get everything she has written. I have "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" and it is WONDERFUL. I plan to get her book "Spiritual Midwifery" as well if I ever get pg. She also has a guide to breastfeeding and has a website. Not much info on the website, I don't think but still cool to look at.

We will serve the Lord.
Married 19 yrs, DD 16, DS 10, DS 7, and two babies in heaven (1998) and (2010). Praying for peace and healing from our loss.
#9 of 10 Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM

I loved loved the unhindered living site and we read the emergency childbirth book too. I read so much online too, like pp said the more you are educated the more comfortable and confident you feel. I had a UBA2C and it was wonderful. I definently loved being home alone without people telling me what to do! You can do it!

Katie - Mama to E1 (7, c/s), E2 (5, c/s), E3 (3, VBA2C), E4 (1, UC)
...expecting another princess in March/April

Questions about VBAC? PM me!

ICAN Chapter Leader

cd.gif ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gif uc.jpg hbac.gif h20homebirth.gif

#10 of 10 Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 AM

Wow I can truly relate to you mommy2jasmine. I too had a c-sectioned baby in 2007, am a military wifey, and am due in March 2011. Strange eh? The more I read on here about UC, the more excited I get to try this route out. I have been thinking about just "oopsing" it, because I literally fear hospitals. But now I see the support and success of other women who have not only had unassisted births at home, but also were VBAC. Well, now I don't want so much of an oops as I do a planned homebirth with just my family.

The only thing is is that I am kind of afraid to tell my husband. While he knows the military medical system can be lacking, he still believes in hospital birth. Fortunately he has told me that if I can find proof to back up my beliefs he will support any decision I make. Can y'all help?

I want this so bad; I am getting excited for birth instead feeling trepidacious. Yay!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page