What advice do you have for someone considering UC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I thought I'd introduce myself in this forum and see if any of you have advice or things you wish you'd thought of early in your pregnancies. I am 5 weeks pregnant with #2 and I don't know what I'm going to do for the birth yet. I think I will get prenatal care with a CNM at the hospital just down the street from me (the most natural birth friendly in the city which is not necessarily saying much) but then as the pregnancy progresses and the birth draws near I will decide whether to go to the hospital or not. And I am thinking I will have that option even up to the moment of birth if I play my cards right and prepare correctly.

My last birth was so easy that I was not convinced I was actually in labor until about an hour before DS was born. I started pushing at home, and then tried not to push all the way to the hospital. I'd like to avoid a scenario like that, and I'd also like to avoid unnecessary interventions that might happen if I got to the hospital too early (or at all ). I already told DH that if I start pushing at home again I'm not going anywhere, and he is on board at least that far.

So, does anyone have advice for someone just starting out their possibly-UC pregnancy? Must-read articles, must-know tips, things I need to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#2 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Hey there. I am somewhat new here & am planning to UC my 4th baby in January.
This website & UC forum have been THE MOST help so far. The board isn't extremely busy , but the Resource Thread Sticky is chock full of need to knows. I could read on here for days.
Emergency Chilbirth Manual by Gregory White gave me a lot of confidence for some of the "what ifs". Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin was also interesting & inspiring for me.
For the most part I go to the resource thread & bounce around websites making notes for my personal UC workbook.
Best of luck to you - hope you get the birth you want!
#3 of 4 Old 10-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Hello BarefootScientist! Congratulations on expecting your second baby!

I'm almost six months along with my third baby, who will be my second UC. I am really excited! I do UP(unassisted pregnancy) as well. I know that Laura Shanley's website was extremely inspiring to me. I would suggest reading unassisted birth stories, and comparing them with birth stories of the sort that would be your alternative. Firsthand accounts, what the mother was thinking and feeling and experiencing... Those are what spoke to me the most. I loved so much the feeling of peace and fearlessness that came to me from reading other women's UC stories. I also got a lot out of watching UC videos on Youtube... So powerful!

I think the most important thing you need to consider about UC would be whether or not you feel comfortable being ABSOLUTELY responsible for the outcome of your birth, good or bad. I am sure that the ramifications of a "bad" outcome are clear, and you have to be ready to accept that. As for the good? There is no more divine feeling, IMO, than knowing "I did it!". But I don't think I was prepared for the very private, and almost lonely, nature of that ecstasy, elation, and joy. You would be one of a small minority of women who can claim certain birthing autonomy. Your experience will differ hugely from most women, and I found that sharing my experience was met a lot of the time by a puzzled smile and nod, but not really acceptance. So many, no matter how natural their births, just won't be able to relate. That didn't diminish the beauty and wonder at all for me, but I knew that it was MY triumph, not something that everyone else would get excited about. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, if you need somebody to check in with and chat about it all, feel free to PM me... The UC boards seem a lot less active than back when I had my DD.
#4 of 4 Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM

Since you are so early in your pregnancy, you have ample time to read read read!! Read everything you can get your hands on. Then go over what you are willing to do. The more you read, the more natural it will seem at home and the more unnatural it will seem to go to a hospital. That's how it was for me. Check out the resources thread at the top and the other stickies also. They are full of websites to go to, books that helped, youtube videos, dvd's to watch, ect. Start there and go from there. TONS of great information and/or links to great information here.

Married to a Navy man of 12 yrs.

03/02: 11/05: 01/08: 10-18-09: 10-31-10 and 7/22/13 with twins and just found out we're pos.gif again!!chicken3.gif

cd.gifslingboy.giffamilybed1.gifwinner.jpg

m/c '97 and in '03

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page