Weighing Your Baby - Mothering Forums
Unassisted Childbirth > Weighing Your Baby
alicia9178's Avatar alicia9178 01:55 AM 10-02-2010
Dumb question...... What did you use to weigh your new baby and where did you get it or the supplies to make it.

sweetpatayta's Avatar sweetpatayta 12:27 PM 10-02-2010
I havent had my babe yet, I did buy a didgital fish scale at Walmart for like $15.
*digital*
Illiana's Avatar Illiana 10:34 PM 10-02-2010
I had my partner weigh himself then hold baby and weigh again... difference is baby's weight.
medicinemansgirl's Avatar medicinemansgirl 11:20 PM 10-02-2010
With our last UC I had dh hold baby and weigh and then weigh without. Difference was baby's weight. Since our scale only weighed in .5 increments we got pretty close to what baby weighed. This time around I really wanted to know the exact difference between babies, just out of my own curiousity, since we are having twins. So, we bought a digital fish scale at Wal Mart that weighs in lbs and exact ozs. I got an old soft flannel receiving blanket we had on hand and sewed some metal key chain rings, found in the craft dept of Wal Mart, on each corner. We practiced with life size dolls and it works great. Just place baby in middle, hook the 4rings onto the scale hook and baby curls up snuggly within while being weighed.
southernmommie's Avatar southernmommie 12:40 AM 10-03-2010
I don't have a weight scale at home so I bought a fish scale from Amazon and the sling to weigh baby (which is so cute) from Inhishands.com. That's what I am going to use to weigh baby.
medicinemansgirl's Avatar medicinemansgirl 12:48 AM 10-03-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmommie View Post
I don't have a weight scale at home so I bought a fish scale from Amazon and the sling to weigh baby (which is so cute) from Inhishands.com. That's what I am going to use to weigh baby.
I almost got the In His Hands one but figured it was cheaper to use what we had on hand. LOL! They are cute though! We just received our little personalized birth kit I ordered from them. 6 cord clamps, the herbal bath, Shepherd's Purse and a delee..to make hubby happy - LOL!..along with a peri bottle since I love those so much more than blotting for the first few days after baby/ies. It all arrived 2 days ago. They have super fast shipping! Sooo excited to have everything ready and on hand! Now just to have some babies!!!
babyjelly's Avatar babyjelly 01:02 AM 10-03-2010
forum crashing...but my friend lost her fish scale before the baby came, so after a couple of days, she took him to the corner grocer and stuck him in the produce scale
Posted via Mobile Device
alicia9178's Avatar alicia9178 01:51 PM 10-03-2010
Cool...thank you so much for all of the advice Very helpful.
southernmommie's Avatar southernmommie 03:36 PM 10-03-2010
They do have super fast shipping!! I ordered my birth kit a few years ago but never used it. So I just had to add the birth certificate and the ink and that sling. I somehow lost a cord clamp but didn't want to pay the $7 shipping for $1.25 item! So I'll probably use my one clamp on baby's side for hubby's sake and then embroidery floss for the placenta side. That is like the one thing I was short! I can't imagine where that other clamp went to! But I have it all in a bin ready to go for when we start our birthing time. I LOVE Inhishands website. They are really fast which I wasn't expecting but needed.
jshannyn519's Avatar jshannyn519 10:07 AM 01-04-2011

I bought a digital travel luggage scale that is accurate to .05 ounces and holds up to 80 lbs. A midwife friend of mine uses the same one when she weighs her clients' babies and she said that it's very accurate. I have a sling that I'll use to hold the baby while he/she is being weighed.

A friend of mine used a fish scale, not the digital kind, and it was off by about 2 pounds! She took the baby to the ped a couple of days after birth and her weight had gone from 7#6oz to 9#3oz.

Mamatoabunch's Avatar Mamatoabunch 11:19 AM 01-04-2011

I used a digi fish scale and made a sling thing to put baby in. I bought a baby scale, accurate to the 1/2 ounce and have used that w/ my last 5. 

Rainystar66's Avatar Rainystar66 03:31 PM 01-04-2011

I have this scale....  

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-American-Cross-Soothing/dp/B001CSZ0VS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294180162&sr=8-3

I didn't pay near that much for it though, I picked it up at a medical supply store that was going out of business, but it works great, and my weight and my peds weight 30 min later were within .5 oz of eachother...

lightinmyhands's Avatar lightinmyhands 01:59 PM 01-05-2011

we took our baby to the health food store when she was 2 days old and weighed her on the bulk food scale :)

tourist.'s Avatar tourist. 09:20 AM 01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshannyn519 View Post

A friend of mine used a fish scale, not the digital kind, and it was off by about 2 pounds! She took the baby to the ped a couple of days after birth and her weight had gone from 7#6oz to 9#3oz.

My midwife used a non-digital fish scale to weigh my son.  At birth he weighed 8 lbs 8 oz and within 24 hours he weighed 7 lbs 9 oz (at the pediatrician's office).  I highly doubt that he lost a pound off his tiny body in less than a day!  This caused us a lot of unnecessary stress, so we are definitely going to be double checking this baby's weight either with another scale or with the "hold & weigh/don't hold & weigh" method.  People ask me how much DS weighed at birth and I'm always like..."Well, I'm not exactly sure."  Then they think I'm nuts because that's something that "a mom never forgets." 

Up