Mothering Forum banner

vitamin K question

812 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  southernmommie 
#1 ·
I have purchased some vitamin K in tablet form. Does anyone know how to make it in to a liquid form to give baby after birth? or does the baby need it at all?

#4 ·
Look up Sarah Wickham's article on vit K (there are actually two slightly different versions - the more extensive one, I believe, is the easier to find one, but if I remember correctly there are points made/explained that don't make it into both versions). Also, the main Birth and Beyond forum has posts on vit K, and there was a recent one in the Health and Healing forum (though it's such an active forum it may be several pages back by now, but you can just search it).

I declined it for DS. I will decline it for this baby. IF we have a birth involving trauma (section, very long term pushing with other issues, considerable bruising, forceps, etc.) then I will consider it and quite possibly do it. Otherwise, from what I can find, the risks of the vit K prophylactically without any specific concerns outweigh the risks of not doing it.

One thing to remember (which is brought up by Sarah Wickham) is, "All infants are born with relatively low vit K levels? In comparison to whom? If ALL babies are born with low levels of vit K, perhaps they're not low but NORMAL for babies?" Also, I can't recall if it was in one of her articles or if I read it elsewhere while doing a research paper on "insufficiencies" of breastmilk (myth busting basically), but if I recall correctly, the "low levels of vit K" thing also came from a time where it was common to restrict an infant's colostrum intake (and quite often not nurse at all until the mature milk came in and give formula in the meantime) and colostrum is known to have high levels of vit K. Immediate cord clamping is another thing as that carries so much stuff to babies that they're supposed to get but don't when it's clamped/cut immediately. So if you won't be doing immediate cord clamping/cutting and won't be depriving your baby of colostrum, those are other things to keep in mind.

#7 ·
I always made sure to drink Nettles tea close to the end of pregnancy to up my vit. K levels so that when I nursed baby, baby got some. But I agree. It's not needed unless serious bruising or other factors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.