videotaping an UC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-30-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my first in the hospital naturally, but want to deliver my next child unassisted at home. If you had an unassisted birth and video taped it, who video taped it? I asked my husband, but he feels like it would take him out of the moment, which I can understand. Did anybody use a tripod?

Thanks,
Emily
#2 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 02:18 AM

Well, I wanted to tape my first UC. I can give you some pointers on how *not* to do it! We had my mom and MIL present, so there were plenty of hands to man the camera, I would think a tripod would work out fine, though. First, make sure whoever is in charge of taping it knows how to work the camera/video recorder. Second, make sure the taper knows how to work the night vision feature, or give them permission in advance to turn on a light if needed (I wanted it dark while laboring, but honestly, by the time I was in transition/pushing I wouldn't have noticed a light). Third, make sure you have fresh batteries in the device and new batteries close by (and make sure the taper knows where they are and how to put them in quickly).
I would also recommend a test run, make sure the tripod is positioned tall enough and at just the right angle to get the shot you want.
HTH!

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

#3 of 8 Old 10-31-2010, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

thank you great advice!
#4 of 8 Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codi's Mama View Post

Well, I wanted to tape my first UC. I can give you some pointers on how *not* to do it! We had my mom and MIL present, so there were plenty of hands to man the camera, I would think a tripod would work out fine, though. First, make sure whoever is in charge of taping it knows how to work the camera/video recorder. Second, make sure the taper knows how to work the night vision feature, or give them permission in advance to turn on a light if needed (I wanted it dark while laboring, but honestly, by the time I was in transition/pushing I wouldn't have noticed a light). Third, make sure you have fresh batteries in the device and new batteries close by (and make sure the taper knows where they are and how to put them in quickly).
I would also recommend a test run, make sure the tripod is positioned tall enough and at just the right angle to get the shot you want.
HTH!

yeahthat.gif  For baby #2 (first to get on video) the tape ran out literally minutes before he was born.  DH was right on it, though :)

Lia Joy Rundle CLD                             Self Directed Woman                                   Self Directed Childbirth
                                                           Womanhood is not a destination. It is an archaeological dig. 

#5 of 8 Old 02-28-2011, 06:38 PM

I wanted a UC with my DD so I set up the video camera in place where I was labouring in the lounge room. I had wanted a 'land birth' desperately. In the end I called my midwife who was present for the final 15 minutes. I called for reasons not actually related to the labour, but if I had known how far along I was then I wouldn't have bothered, I thought there was still hours left eyesroll.gif But when it got to that intensity I was desperate to hop in the bath (we have a huge deep tub) something I hadn't planned or hoped for but at the time I needed it so badly. So basically the midwife managed to snap a few shots with my camera in between jotting notes frantically and monitoring me lol.gif So I didn't end up with any video (though they were some awesome pics cause it was daytime). So I guess I am saying unless you are certain you will want to be labouring in the exact same place where the tripod is you should be prepared somehow to tape it if your body tells you to do something else. So even if you had a bath pool in the lounge you might want to walk around the hall, or sit over the toilet, or anything else. Next time I will be more prepared as I really want to get an awesome video. My first birth video was awful!

#6 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Ours was always on a tripod, or dresser w/ 4th-6th. W/ our 7th we missed it b/c for some reason dh hit record, but it didn't. I decided not to tape 9th or 10th. My dd took pics w/ our 10th. I am undecided w/ this one. 

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#7 of 8 Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

We have a tripod and I'm guessing the camera will get moved periodically as I move or just as things progress. We also have kids, so this could obviously come into play. So, maybe on top of our armoire, or from our cabinet, etc. And I'd also like some still pics as my husband is able to. :) As long as we can keep it relatively natural and casual, since that's the priority. If things don't happen or work out perfectly in recording the moment, oh well! Better to have a good moment and good memories of it.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
Vegetarian Spiritual wife to Joshua (HS sweetheart, together since 1999); mother of Eve (Dec 2003)  Cian (March 2009), and Sage (March 2011)! <--uc.jpg!
geek.gifMy book about what I learned from my experiences with childbirth was published April 2011. om.gif
#8 of 8 Old 03-12-2011, 08:15 AM

If anyone has video of their unassisted birth, or any birth, you would like to share with my birth videos web site let me know. My unassisted birth section is slowly growing, at 20 videos now, but I'd love to have lots more! Your video could help a mommy have confidence to choose homebirth/UC/natural....

http://sites.google.com/site/pregnancyvideos/homebirths2

PM me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page