Unassisted Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 18 Old 10-30-2010, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having an unassisted pregnancy for my second child followed by an unassited childbirth. If you have had an UP what kind of things did you do? I am 21 weeks about and bought a stethoscope to hear the heartbeat, which I found comforting with my first, but unfortunately I cannot find the heartbeat yet. I do not plan on getting any u/s or testing anything.

I am taking care of my body and I feel like I am not showing much at all for 20 weeks, in fact I am not even sure I felt a real kick! I can feel my uterus around my belly button, but I was seriously doubting I was pregnant So I took a pregnancy test AGAIN at 20 weeks. My husband thinks I am nuts because he can obviously tell I am pregnant. But has this happened to anyone, I just found it so reassuring to see those 2 lines.

When do you think I would be able to hear a heartbeat with a regular stethoscope?

Thanks,
Emily
VeganEmma is offline  
#2 of 18 Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 PM
 
cdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried a fetoscope? I have one and it's awesome. I have not been through a UP, but am planning a UC with this birth. I am 33 weeks, so it's really easy for me to hear mine. Before I bought my fetoscope I looked at reviews and a lot of people said the fetoscope worked much better than a regular stethascope. I'm sure you will be able to hear it in a couple of weeks. Just keep trying and move it around a lot on your belly.

cdot is offline  
#3 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 AM
 
dayiscoming2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think checking blood pressure and if you want you can track fundal height. There are some things in the UC resources thread that could be helpful. I remember finding some posts with forms like they would use for a doctor's visit.

My last pregnancy I UPed but just checked my blood pressure every once in a while and sometimes checked my fundal height. I don't think I did much else really but everything turned out well and I felt like everything was good. I think it might be nice to get those urine testing strips from one of those birth supply/midwife supply websites. I haven't used them before but I might get some. I still haven't decided if I will UP throughout this pregnancy or not.

I also think if you wanted you could keep track of your weight. I do that to be careful not to gain too much since every pregnancy I've started out overweight. This pregnancy I managed to be just within a healthy weight range but I'm still above where I should be so I'm trying to eat smart and keep somewhat active and do watch my weight.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

 homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

 

dayiscoming2006 is offline  
#4 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdot View Post
Have you tried a fetoscope? I have one and it's awesome. I have not been through a UP, but am planning a UC with this birth. I am 33 weeks, so it's really easy for me to hear mine. Before I bought my fetoscope I looked at reviews and a lot of people said the fetoscope worked much better than a regular stethascope. I'm sure you will be able to hear it in a couple of weeks. Just keep trying and move it around a lot on your belly.

I thought that you had to press the fetoscope with your forehead? So you use it on yourself? Where did you buy yours and when were you able to first hear the heartbeat?

Emily
VeganEmma is offline  
#5 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
I think checking blood pressure and if you want you can track fundal height. There are some things in the UC resources thread that could be helpful. I remember finding some posts with forms like they would use for a doctor's visit.

My last pregnancy I UPed but just checked my blood pressure every once in a while and sometimes checked my fundal height. I don't think I did much else really but everything turned out well and I felt like everything was good. I think it might be nice to get those urine testing strips from one of those birth supply/midwife supply websites. I haven't used them before but I might get some. I still haven't decided if I will UP throughout this pregnancy or not.

I also think if you wanted you could keep track of your weight. I do that to be careful not to gain too much since every pregnancy I've started out overweight. This pregnancy I managed to be just within a healthy weight range but I'm still above where I should be so I'm trying to eat smart and keep somewhat active and do watch my weight.

thank you I will look at the resources thread. I love doing a UP because those tests were so pointless for me and it is so nice to just relax and not have to worry about doctor visits- I can just live my life, pregnancy doesn't become a huge focus. I focus more on my diet, and making sure it is full of nutrients. I was way more active with my first pregnancy, but I have a toddler so I am moderately active now.
VeganEmma is offline  
#6 of 18 Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 PM
 
a-o-t-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Coast NSW, Australia
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 36w into my UP pregnancy. I have checked my pb occasionally and have some of those wee strips that I have done maybe 4 times to check for a UTI once and then to check for sugars/protein. I have also had my haemaglobin checked by an IM who literally did that for me and that alone (i suspect twins, so thought an idea of my hb towards the end would be a good idea!). I have a foetoscope and a dopler. I use the foetoscope occasionally and have used the dopler with speakers 3 times to share with the kids and my dw. I was also keeping a rough eye on fundal height, not with a tape but just my hands. Now I measure occasionally just for the fun of it and to know what the number is!
Any time from 22w on you may hear a heartbeat, but it can still be hard at that point. Depending on where your placenta is, you may have to wait a little longer to feel strong kicks. Enjoy your UP...I am
a-o-t-e is offline  
#7 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-o-t-e View Post
I am 36w into my UP pregnancy. I have checked my pb occasionally and have some of those wee strips that I have done maybe 4 times to check for a UTI once and then to check for sugars/protein. I have also had my haemaglobin checked by an IM who literally did that for me and that alone (i suspect twins, so thought an idea of my hb towards the end would be a good idea!). I have a foetoscope and a dopler. I use the foetoscope occasionally and have used the dopler with speakers 3 times to share with the kids and my dw. I was also keeping a rough eye on fundal height, not with a tape but just my hands. Now I measure occasionally just for the fun of it and to know what the number is!
Any time from 22w on you may hear a heartbeat, but it can still be hard at that point. Depending on where your placenta is, you may have to wait a little longer to feel strong kicks. Enjoy your UP...I am
thank you that was helpful! I will enjoy my UP You sound like you are in the right frame of mind and you will have an easy, relaxed UC.
VeganEmma is offline  
#8 of 18 Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 AM
 
a-o-t-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Coast NSW, Australia
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Emma, i hope so
a-o-t-e is offline  
#9 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done UP 6 times and am now in my 7th UP. I start at 12 weeks at every 4 until 32 weeks, then every 2 weeks until 36 and then every week. I write down fundal height after 20 weeks, position of baby after 28ish, heartbeat from 12 weeks if use a doppler or after 24 weeks w/ a fetescope, weight. I did do bp w/ my 5th and 6th, but stopped after that. I write down feelings, supplements, etc. I do this for my own personal enjoyment. I like comparing the pregnancy notes. Also I use it as pregnancy confirmation for obtaining a birth certificate.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
#10 of 18 Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what would be a good way to measure fundal height? I guess I should keep some notes for when it comes down to getting the BC.
VeganEmma is offline  
#11 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 02:26 AM
 
a-o-t-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central Coast NSW, Australia
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Emma just an ordinary tape measure is fine for fundal height. Lay on your back and feel for the top of your uterus which is firm. In the 1st 12w it usually cannot be felt above the pelvis, after that you can feel it rise about 1cm a week. Markers, by 20w it is about the height of your umbilicus, and 36w at the very top of the bottom your ribs. You put the tape measure on the top of your uterus (fundus) and take the bottom down to the top middle of your pubic bone http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundal_height
a-o-t-e is offline  
#12 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 PM
 
dayiscoming2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know where you are from Veganmomma but you may need an official pregnancy confirmation to get the birth certificate. I think it would be helpful to go and take a pregnancy test at the doctor for official proof. You could probably figure out something else if you had to but that would be the easiest thing to do.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

 homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

 

dayiscoming2006 is offline  
#13 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
interesting stuff, I'll try it out tonight when the toddler is asleep!
VeganEmma is offline  
#14 of 18 Old 11-03-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
I don't know where you are from Veganmomma but you may need an official pregnancy confirmation to get the birth certificate. I think it would be helpful to go and take a pregnancy test at the doctor for official proof. You could probably figure out something else if you had to but that would be the easiest thing to do.
I never thought of that! How would I find out what my state's requirements are? I live in Nevada.
VeganEmma is offline  
#15 of 18 Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM
 
crazyms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Way down south
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
If you look in the uc resources there is a thread called 'getting the birth certificate' that may have some information. There is a list on page 4 of the thread that puts all the info in one post (up to that point) but Nevada isn't on it. There may be something after that but I'm not sure. You should be able to find out what you need if you call the dept of vital statistics or maybe even the health dept. A midwife in your area may be able to tell you what to do also.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
crazyms is offline  
#16 of 18 Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
VeganEmma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
If you look in the uc resources there is a thread called 'getting the birth certificate' that may have some information. There is a list on page 4 of the thread that puts all the info in one post (up to that point) but Nevada isn't on it. There may be something after that but I'm not sure. You should be able to find out what you need if you call the dept of vital statistics or maybe even the health dept. A midwife in your area may be able to tell you what to do also.
thank you, I did look at the thread. I searched in the thread for Nevada and I found a post by somebody who had a UC and never got a proof of pregnancy and she waited 3 years but was able to get the certificate. Same county too, so that is reassuring.
VeganEmma is offline  
#17 of 18 Old 12-20-2010, 04:29 PM
 
WinterPrego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Emily,   I am not doing UP this time, but am planning on it for my next pregnancy. I am doing UB this time. You can buy a small measuring tape for fundal height(not necessary but I think it would be fun to keep records). A fetoscope is supposed to work much better than a regular stethescope, and not all fetoscopes require you to rest your forehead on them. I googled them myself a few days ago, and found some very reasonably priced ones(around $15-25). You can also buy urine sample strips for very cheap, and it might be a good idea to test occasionally to make sure things are good with diet, etc... Also, if you want to test blood pressure but don't want to spend the money to buy one, usually a Wal-Mart, or pharmacy will have a blood pressure machine you can use. :)  I'm planning on doing it that way, and just going once a month or so. Once again, all this is not necessary if you are eating great, exercising, and feel fine. But I myself look forward to keeping my own records!   Good luck!

 


Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

WinterPrego is offline  
#18 of 18 Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 AM
 
Pirogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an Allen fetoscope (hoping to be a midwife someday), and it has the forehead rest bar, but I just put the palm of my hand on it.

Pirogi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off