Neonatal Resuscitation class - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-31-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I signed up for an NRP class because my only hangup with UC is worry about the baby needing resuscitation. But, the class is tomorrow and I'm sick, and would be away from DS (21 months) for over 12 hours, and after reading the text, I've realized that most of the class is going to be irrelevant to me since I will not have oxygen or a positive pressure ventilator to use anyway, so why should I even bother getting certified in the use of those devices? So I'm having second thoughts about going.

Has anyone who UC'd taken NRP? Was it worth it to you? I'm guessing most people have not taken it. How did you make yourselves comfortable with the possibility of baby needing resuscitation?

I'm torn.
#2 of 5 Old 10-31-2010, 03:58 PM

I plan on looking at videos explaining infant CPR and possibly newborn cpr if I can find something specific. I have something bookmarked.

I wouldn't bother with the class you were thinking to take because of all the irrelevant stuff and how long it is. Is there a CPR class available somewhere? Like through the community? That might be helpful if they show infant CPR too. I was going to do that but I forgot to get the info in and missed the deadline but I'm not terribly worried.

Here's a link...
http://depts.washington.edu/learncpr/infantcpr.html

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#3 of 5 Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Who is teaching the class? If it's Karen Strange, I would recommend going anyway, as she's an amazing teacher.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 5 Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
Who is teaching the class? If it's Karen Strange, I would recommend going anyway, as she's an amazing teacher.
It is Karen Strange, and she won't be back in my area again before the baby comes. If it was a hospital class, it would be an easier decision to make. :/
#5 of 5 Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 PM

I would take it for a few reasons.....one for me personally is that it shows a concern for the health of your unborn child. If something were to happen during labor it shows you were not negligent. Not that you want to think that way but.......

Also stimulating a newborn to breath is not the same as infant cpr. Taking a full class that focuses on the difference can really help you understand that transition.

That's why *I* would go ahead with it but its probably different for each uc-ing mama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page