experienced UCers/Homebirthers - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Pitocin is only available with prescription. I had a script for it but didn't pick it up, just got the one for Methergine just in case. I did bleed A TON (more than the standard for regular hemorrhage) but Shepherd's Purse did a great job.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#32 of 58 Old 11-14-2010, 07:49 AM

Need:

peroxide

bowl for palcenta

clamps for cord

scissors

blanket

Babysitter/sister to watch the other 4 kiddos, in case baby comes during the day.

FOOD- protein rich

quiet

sleep

Want (like in my dreams!):

birth pool- gonna use my tub, if I can fit!

post birth massage

lots of food- totally carb and sugar loaded! off our diet.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#33 of 58 Old 11-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I forgot herbs - I do have shephards purse tincture and will have some crampbark on hand for after.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#34 of 58 Old 11-15-2010, 10:08 AM

So far all they have emailed me about those pads is a bullshit response:

The attractant is a unique formula with a safe proprietary chemical that was developed especially for us by Texas A & M University.  The formula mimics the chemical substance released by an animal that serves to influence the behavior of other members of the same species.  The scent is similar to Dingo urine, which is a wild dog.

#35 of 58 Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 AM

One thing I found handy is to have TWO bowls: one for the placenta and one in case you need to vomit in transition.  A lot of women won't need that second bowl, but I did with both of my UC's and my husband was glad I thought ahead so that he had something in arm's reach for him to hold under my chin.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

#36 of 58 Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSolarMomma View Post

. And I don't plan on having any herbs for PP bleeding because I was just going to cut a piece of the placenta off and stick it in my mouth (plus BF my newborn).

I've seen a lot about eating placenta, can someone explain this better? PPH is scary, is this the main method used?

Also, please be careful with Tylenol! (I saw someone posted they took lots of it) Too much can cause liver damage and failure, it actually happens a lot. This also goes for any pain meds that include it(most people don't realize this) like Vicodin or Lortab- when it says 5/500mg or 7.5/750mg the first # is the narcotic, second is the Tylenol substitute. Just because its over the counter doesn't make it safe if you don't take the right dosage. You probably won't need any pain meds if you don't have a CS, but never hurts to know about it. (I had oxycontins (comes without the added Tylenol) and high dose Motrin for afterwards. But I had a CS, and am already on high dose pain meds redface.gif I found the Motrin super helpful!)

I have had two bad bleeds  PPH's and the last time around I did a lotus birth and decided not to eat the placenta. This time around I am sending the placenta off to a local midwife for TCM placenta medicine which she says she will have back in 2 days so I'll leave cord/placenta on for 6 hours or so and then cut and use one of those cord rings from the UK  (I hate clamps- with the twins I used shoelaces).

My birth kits supplies are pretty minimal as I do waterbirth in my own large bathtubs. I do like chux pads for the bed afterwards. Last time I used a sieve and a bowl for the placenta,

newborn hat, I guess a nasal aspirator is handy for later on but I never used one. Nice mama pads- cloth or organic disposables. A hot water bottle for afterpains and some Chinese Herbs on hand for depletion. Nice loose leaf nursing tea, some herbs on hand for cord care but that's another thing I never used. The footprinters are a pain in the neck to wipe off a newborns feet.

Homeopathics for labor/complications.

Disinfectant (povidone) for the tub to clean it.

Towels for after birth to cover baby.

Food for after the birth.

I've never had a UC though- I chicken out due to past PPH (once I was almost transported) so I like having a midwife on hand and mine are hands- off. So this time around midwife says she can be downstairs, outside etc and I can call her in when I want to - before or after baby- whatever I wish.

#37 of 58 Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 AM

I emailed the only midwife I could find near me asking her some questions, and she just said "no" to too many of them I guess (probably including the questions "are you willing to be hands-off" and "are you comfortable attending twin births".  She asked another midwife for me, and that midwife said "no" as well. 

Still unassisted for me!

#38 of 58 Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almi View Post

I emailed the only midwife I could find near me asking her some questions, and she just said "no" to too many of them I guess (probably including the questions "are you willing to be hands-off" and "are you comfortable attending twin births".  She asked another midwife for me, and that midwife said "no" as well. 

Still unassisted for me!

Mine does twins and all- upfront she will say no she doesn't because they are state licensed here but most of the homebirth midwives in my ares do twins. I remember when I was pregnant with my first (not knowing for sure I was having twins) in Santa Fe and the homebirth midwives I met said no twins. So I found one through a friend that had her twins with her and she was hands off and I used her and then  found out at 7 months I was having twins. She was great and the birth went well and am glad I had her because I did require attention for bad PPH.

#39 of 58 Old 11-17-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmama66 View Post

Mine does twins and all- upfront she will say no she doesn't because they are state licensed here but most of the homebirth midwives in my ares do twins. I remember when I was pregnant with my first (not knowing for sure I was having twins) in Santa Fe and the homebirth midwives I met said no twins. So I found one through a friend that had her twins with her and she was hands off and I used her and then  found out at 7 months I was having twins. She was great and the birth went well and am glad I had her because I did require attention for bad PPH.

Well, that's great.  I'm happy for you.  Where do you live?

#40 of 58 Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM

I had a birth pool, shoe laces, old towels.  That's about it.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#41 of 58 Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Boulder Co.

#42 of 58 Old 11-17-2010, 02:00 PM

Things we have used.

1. Scissors

2. Alcohol to put sterilized scissors along w/ canning jar

3. Shower curtain on bed after birth to potentially catch blood overflow

4. Sheperd's purse, used in one UC

5. Cord clamps

6. Calcium lactate

7. Kiddie pool

8. Adaptor to shower or sink

9. Hose

10. Nose suction thing, used in two UC's

11. Bendie straw to drink in labor

13. Baby scale or fishie scale

14. Cord clamps or something to clamp cord

15. Old sheets on bed

16. Old towels

17. A couple of depends type underwear for after the birth

18. Steel bowl for placenta

19. Hydrogen peroxide for blood spots

20. Chux to sit on once I get out of pool and onto bed

21. Tape measure for baby length

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#43 of 58 Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

thank you, great list! how did you weigh the baby with the scale? was it a hanging one?

#44 of 58 Old 11-20-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Boulder Co.

Sad for me.  I thus far cannot find a hands-off midwife or one that will assist with twins in my area.  I'm not too concerned with finding a midwife, but it would be nice to have one on standby, just in case.

Finally got info about the puppy pads I plan to use.

The ingredients are considered "non-hazardous," however, the following "emergency first aid procedures" were as follows:

Inhalation: Remove from area to fresh air.  Seek medical attention if respiratory irritation develops or if breathing becomes difficult.

Eye contact: Rinse the eyes with water.  Continue flushing with plenty of water for several minutes.  Seek medical attention if irritation develops.

Skin contact:  Wash affected areas with plenty of soap and water.  Seek medical attention if irritation develops.

Aside from this part, whatever is in the pads doesn't appear to be harmful at all, this just seems to be a liability thing, as there is so little of the chemical in the pads, it is dry, and there are many things out there that can irritate your skin.  Like I said, such as laundry detergent.

I think I might personally take the chance with the pads, but I certainly won't let them touch my babies.  Might not use them to sit on, either, (would just be used during labor and birth to catch fluids) but we'll see.

#45 of 58 Old 11-20-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Boulder Co.

Sad for me.  I thus far cannot find a hands-off midwife or one that will assist with twins in my area.  I'm not too concerned with finding a midwife, but it would be nice to have one on standby, just in case.

Finally got info about the puppy pads I plan to use.

The ingredients are considered "non-hazardous," however, the following "emergency first aid procedures" were as follows:

Inhalation: Remove from area to fresh air.  Seek medical attention if respiratory irritation develops or if breathing becomes difficult.

Eye contact: Rinse the eyes with water.  Continue flushing with plenty of water for several minutes.  Seek medical attention if irritation develops.

Skin contact:  Wash affected areas with plenty of soap and water.  Seek medical attention if irritation develops.

Aside from this part, whatever is in the pads doesn't appear to be harmful at all, this just seems to be a liability thing, as there is so little of the chemical in the pads, it is dry, and there are many things out there that can irritate your skin.  Like I said, such as laundry detergent.

I think I might personally take the chance with the pads, but I certainly won't let them touch my babies.  Might not use them to sit on, either, (would just be used during labor and birth to catch fluids) but we'll see.

Yeah, my only issue having had twins is PPH. I'd want something serious just in case nothing else worked. Doesn't happen for everyone though and hopefully won't for you!

#46 of 58 Old 11-20-2010, 08:35 PM

I've UCed twice.  All I really needed was a birth pool.  (I used the cheap fishy pool both times.)  Along with a drinking water safe hose and a faucet hose adapter to fill it with.  Other than that we didn't need anything.  

Kymberly, Mama to DD (08/22/05) DS (08/10/08) and
#47 of 58 Old 11-20-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Yeah, my only issue having had twins is PPH. I'd want something serious just in case nothing else worked. Doesn't happen for everyone though and hopefully won't for you!

I have good iron and hemoglobin levels, do you think it would be taking too much of a risk for a five minute drive to the hospital?  I can get there in exactly five minutes...if I were farther away, I'd certainly be more nervous about UC.  

One reason why I'd feel better if I could have a midwife on standby, just in case.

But at the same time I'm also confident my body will do its thing. *shrug*  I have some really good, informed birth attendants, but none are certified midwives.  Lol.

#48 of 58 Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have good iron and hemoglobin levels, do you think it would be taking too much of a risk for a five minute drive to the hospital?  I can get there in exactly five minutes...if I were farther away, I'd certainly be more nervous about UC.  

One reason why I'd feel better if I could have a midwife on standby, just in case.

But at the same time I'm also confident my body will do its thing. *shrug*  I have some really good, informed birth attendants, but none are certified midwives.  Lol.

I personally would feel fine UCing but might want some serious herbs or meds on hand just in case of PPH. I've had 2 PPH (one serious one after homebirth of my twins) and herbs didn't do much, I required several shots of pitocin. Not saying that always happens but is more common in twin births and I am told mom's who have had lots of babies (true or false?).

#49 of 58 Old 11-22-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:

I personally would feel fine UCing but might want some serious herbs or meds on hand just in case of PPH. I've had 2 PPH (one serious one after homebirth of my twins) and herbs didn't do much, I required several shots of pitocin. Not saying that always happens but is more common in twin births and I am told mom's who have had lots of babies (true or false?).

I have herbs and meds on hand for a case of PPH, but so far have never needed them. I actually lose very little blood.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#50 of 58 Old 11-23-2010, 04:27 AM

If you're in the tub, or water, something to scoop out matter with (whether this be fecal matter, clots, clumps of vernix... doesn't matter!)

Bendy straws!!! I remember hearing someone say it's the only thing in everyone's birth kit that is guaranteed use. ;)

A few chux pads, disposable or washable. Washable large ones you can get away with 1-2, but the disposable ones you've gotta have at LEAST five of.

For me I had some herbal tinctures that were necessary for complications or problems: angelica, shepherd's purse, nettles, hops, yellowdock...

Clean towels

A shower curtain for the bed in case you give birth there.

Fishy pool if you're doing pool birth.

Those fishnet underwear things that hold your pads in place. A godsend!

Some prefolds for you to 'wear' in your underwear or sit on, also to wrap baby's bum in (to catch post birth mec!)

Can't think of anything else I really needed or used, to be honest...

Now, what you may NOT need:

We didn't use "sterilized scissors" (not really as sterile as you think they are if you just boiled them) and floss for the cord, we had a lotus birth so it wasn't necessary. Your normal scissors, washed well will work just as fine and pretty much do the same thing as boiling it, tbh.

Didn't find any use with a peri bottle (just kept a measuring cup in the bathroom instead).

Disposable maxi pads, Depends or hospital lochia pads. Cloth pads, and prefolds, work just fine. :)

Antibiotic gel for baby: Gel is for active Clap infections, to prevent bacteria from getting in baby's eyes, which when left untreated to fester for a while has a small chance of causing bilndness. When you break it down they're more likely to die of a falling coconut than get this, so even if you DO have an active infection I'd read up more to be sure.

Vitamin k? Unless you have a blood clotting disorder, an extremely physically traumatic birth (for baby, involving heavy bruising), cannot breastfed, give birth in a sterile environment or are extremely deficient there's no reason to do this. Plus, there are risks from both the drops and the shot.

Bulb syringe. Traumatic for baby, and doesn't actually help as much as it makes things worse.

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

#51 of 58 Old 11-23-2010, 04:53 AM

I pretty muched used everything in my birth kit that I ordered from In His Hands. My Midwife had me get like 10 towels, but I only used 2. There was hardly any blood and fluids at birth, and I only soilded 2 chux pads, but had 6 down. The chux pads come in handy for when you're in bed though so you can be naked with babe for awhile.

~Attatchment and Natural Parent from instincts not from books to my 2 boys~ Childbirth Educator & Placental Encapsulation Professional
homeschool.gif familybed2.gif homebirth.jpgribbonpb.gif
#52 of 58 Old 11-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post

Quote:

I have herbs and meds on hand for a case of PPH, but so far have never needed them. I actually lose very little blood.

Good to know cause I plan on a UC with this baby (my 6th) and am tired of the oh you will bleed tons because you have had that many story.

#53 of 58 Old 11-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:

Good to know cause I plan on a UC with this baby (my 6th) and am tired of the oh you will bleed tons because you have had that many story.

Me too. I do take floradix through my pregnancy and alfalfa the last 6 weeks.

#54 of 58 Old 11-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I was told to make yarrow infusion the last month to help prevent PPH and build up K stores. I used to use Floradix and will get some towards the last few months. I don't plan on checking for hemo more than once since I am doing an UP (my own prenatals) as well so just playing it safe .

#55 of 58 Old 11-24-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was told to make yarrow infusion the last month to help prevent PPH and build up K stores. I used to use Floradix and will get some towards the last few months. I don't plan on checking for hemo more than once since I am doing an UP (my own prenatals) as well so just playing it safe .

I do UP too, the last 6 pregnancies and this one as well. Never had my blood checked.

#56 of 58 Old 11-24-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I do UP too, the last 6 pregnancies and this one as well. Never had my blood checked.

This is my first UP/UC- a bit nervous but I am placing it in God's hands.

#57 of 58 Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is my first UP/UC- a bit nervous but I am placing it in God's hands.

I have every time, God is good.

#58 of 58 Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:I have every time, God is good.

Yes, I feel blessed!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page