experienced UCers/Homebirthers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For those of you who have had a UC or Homebirth. What were the things (tools) you would say are absolutely essential? And what are some things you ended up not needing? I am really not sure what to get yet... I would love to hear what you couldn't have UCed without.

Emily

#2 of 58 Old 11-10-2010, 12:52 PM

We didn't need much.  We put an old shower curtain down with some old towels and blankets on top...that was great for birthing on, very little clean up.  We didn't buy a birthing kit because I knew we wouldn't need much.  We used scissors and floss for the umbilical cord.  The bulb syringe wasn't needed...I can't think of anything else we had on hand.  I had some herbs that I didn't need to use (I didn't take any herbs at all actually).  It was very simple & low-key.

#3 of 58 Old 11-10-2010, 01:52 PM

I agree with PP.  This is my basic list

For birth

-waterproof covering for floor

-waterproof covering for bed(covered by old sheets made over your regular  sheets-makes for easy transition after birth if you birth there)

-extra towels and blankets

-chux pads for sitting places after the birth

-bucket for placenta(I used an old ice cream one)

-cord clamps for baby

-sterilized one time use scalpel(for cutting the cord-you could use scissors too)

-bulb syringe(didn't use it either)

-crock pot and washcloths for hot compresses(felt good!!!)

-my essential oil kit(I would not give birth without this)

-RRL tea(labor brew)

For after the birth

-rescue remedy(for shock, also helps body readjust quickly)

-shepherd's purse(for pp bleeding)

-liquid chlorophyll(helps rebuild blood supply)

-baby things-diapers/hat/clothes

-momma things-nursing bra/pads, regular pads or prefolds(for lochia)

-sitz bath herbs(felt great for a sore bottom)

-goldenseal(for the cord)

-big bottle of hydrogen peroxide(gets out blood stains in sheets/towels/and carpets)

Even with all these things, my birth kit is pretty small.  There are a bunch of other things that can go on the list also like-honey sticks(to keep up energy), food(for you and birth team), massage oils and tools, toilet paper/wipes(for poops), etc, etc.  I you are going unassisted you will need to get things yourself, if you have a mw attending you at home, she will have alot of these things and probably provide you with a list of what to get.  When we were pg with #4 I bought an emergency OB kit-$9 from cascade, and we used the clamps and the scalpel, that was it.  So I think it pretty much depends on what you want

wife to an amazing hippie man, momma to many~3 DS/ 3DD  novaxnoIRC.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif homeschool.gif
#4 of 58 Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM

I haven't ever given birth before, but this is my birth kit:

- Labor/birth pool

- Lots of extra towels/receiving blankets

- Puppy pads (lol)

- Waterproof sheet (also have a waterproof table cover for anywhere else I might want it)

- Olive oil, hot water, and wash cloth (for my poor perineum, lol)

- Cord clamps and sterile scissors

- Glass of ice water, straws

- Placenta Out

- Wide, shallow bowl for placenta (I found it for 75 cents at a random hardware store and I took one look at it and was like, that's my placenta bowl.  Lol.)

- Camera

- Pen and paper to write down times, or anything else of interest

- Things for the babies, like a scale, tape measure, diapers, etc.

#5 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM

If you are planning to listen to FHTs, you'll want to buy or borrow a fetoscope or doppler.  It can come in handy if your labor seems to taking longer than expected & you want to check on the babe.  It's my opinion that many UC  transports over the years could have been avoided if mom & dad had prepared to check FHTs.

I like blunt tip scissors for cutting the cord

oxyclean or peroxide for getting blood out

boiled ties or sterile clamps for the cord

something for after-pains and hemorrhoids/sore bottoms

treehugger.gif Kat- mama to 6 little trees
#6 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 08:45 AM

The suggestions here are fantastic, as you really don't need a whole bunch of things, IMO.  The one thing I didn't see was a bottle to squirt water for when you pee after birth.  It really helped me ease the sting applying cold water while peeing.  

'09   
#7 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM

1. Peace and quiet

2. Warm water

3. Lots of old and/or dark colored towels

4. Something to cut the cord (bought cord scissors off EBAY) and something to tie it with (dental tape, embroidery thread ect.)

5. My DP

6. Gregory White's Emergency Childbirth and/or UC info sheets or other childbirth guide

7. Clothes and diapers for baby

8. A camera with fresh batteries

9. Bag of herbal remedies and oral vit K drops for baby 

10. A computer and internet connection to update my FB status and post pictures after it's all over!

This is my Top Ten, but everyone is going to have a different list based on their personal beliefs, research, experience, life-style and comfort level. No hatin' please!

ElizabethE likes this.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#8 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 01:58 PM

I wanted to add...  If possible...  give yourself some time before folks/friends come over to visit to take it all in. 

'09   
#9 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_mandala View Post

We didn't need much.  We put an old shower curtain down with some old towels and blankets on top...that was great for birthing on, very little clean up.  We didn't buy a birthing kit because I knew we wouldn't need much.  We used scissors and floss for the umbilical cord.  The bulb syringe wasn't needed...I can't think of anything else we had on hand.  I had some herbs that I didn't need to use (I didn't take any herbs at all actually).  It was very simple & low-key.

shower curtain with blankets, great idea! Yes I plan on keeping it simple too. 

#10 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitintraining View Post

I agree with PP.  This is my basic list

For birth

-waterproof covering for floor

-waterproof covering for bed(covered by old sheets made over your regular  sheets-makes for easy transition after birth if you birth there)

-extra towels and blankets

-chux pads for sitting places after the birth

-bucket for placenta(I used an old ice cream one)

-cord clamps for baby

-sterilized one time use scalpel(for cutting the cord-you could use scissors too)

-bulb syringe(didn't use it either)

-crock pot and washcloths for hot compresses(felt good!!!)

-my essential oil kit(I would not give birth without this)

-RRL tea(labor brew)

For after the birth

-rescue remedy(for shock, also helps body readjust quickly)

-shepherd's purse(for pp bleeding)

-liquid chlorophyll(helps rebuild blood supply)

-baby things-diapers/hat/clothes

-momma things-nursing bra/pads, regular pads or prefolds(for lochia)

-sitz bath herbs(felt great for a sore bottom)

-goldenseal(for the cord)

-big bottle of hydrogen peroxide(gets out blood stains in sheets/towels/and carpets)

Even with all these things, my birth kit is pretty small.  There are a bunch of other things that can go on the list also like-honey sticks(to keep up energy), food(for you and birth team), massage oils and tools, toilet paper/wipes(for poops), etc, etc.  I you are going unassisted you will need to get things yourself, if you have a mw attending you at home, she will have alot of these things and probably provide you with a list of what to get.  When we were pg with #4 I bought an emergency OB kit-$9 from cascade, and we used the clamps and the scalpel, that was it.  So I think it pretty much depends on what you want

Hydrogen peroxide, never would have thought of that. And I think I will get some things for a sitz bath, I was sore with my first and I would like to try them. Thanks!

Oh and for PP I am not sure about liquid chlorophyll (what is that) but I will be making placenta smoothies with E3 live (chlorophyll). And I don't plan on having any herbs for PP bleeding because I was just going to cut a piece of the placenta off and stick it in my mouth (plus BF my newborn).

#11 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almi View Post

I haven't ever given birth before, but this is my birth kit:

- Labor/birth pool

- Lots of extra towels/receiving blankets

- Puppy pads (lol)

- Waterproof sheet (also have a waterproof table cover for anywhere else I might want it)

- Olive oil, hot water, and wash cloth (for my poor perineum, lol)

- Cord clamps and sterile scissors

- Glass of ice water, straws

- Placenta Out

- Wide, shallow bowl for placenta (I found it for 75 cents at a random hardware store and I took one look at it and was like, that's my placenta bowl.  Lol.)

- Camera

- Pen and paper to write down times, or anything else of interest

- Things for the babies, like a scale, tape measure, diapers, etc.

Oh yeah I forgot about recording the time of birth-DUH! Well DH will have to do that. 

#12 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post

If you are planning to listen to FHTs, you'll want to buy or borrow a fetoscope or doppler.  It can come in handy if your labor seems to taking longer than expected & you want to check on the babe.  It's my opinion that many UC  transports over the years could have been avoided if mom & dad had prepared to check FHTs.

I like blunt tip scissors for cutting the cord

oxyclean or peroxide for getting blood out

boiled ties or sterile clamps for the cord

something for after-pains and hemorrhoids/sore bottoms

I have a regular stethoscope so far, but I don't think I will bother with the FHTs because honestly I think it will just add stress to me. It is reassuring for some, but a hassle for me. But I guess if I get very anxious it might calm my nerves. Can you do it with a regular stethoscope?

#13 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

The suggestions here are fantastic, as you really don't need a whole bunch of things, IMO.  The one thing I didn't see was a bottle to squirt water for when you pee after birth.  It really helped me ease the sting applying cold water while peeing.  

OH yeah I forgot about that one, my life saver with birth #1. It was the only way I could pee PP for a month! Where do I buy one of those? Online or would walmart/target have them?

#14 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post

1. Peace and quiet

2. Warm water

3. Lots of old and/or dark colored towels

4. Something to cut the cord (bought cord scissors off EBAY) and something to tie it with (dental tape, embroidery thread ect.)

5. My DP

6. Gregory White's Emergency Childbirth and/or UC info sheets or other childbirth guide

7. Clothes and diapers for baby

8. A camera with fresh batteries

9. Bag of herbal remedies and oral vit K drops for baby 

10. A computer and internet connection to update my FB status and post pictures after it's all over!

This is my Top Ten, but everyone is going to have a different list based on their personal beliefs, research, experience, life-style and comfort level. No hatin' please!

nice list, simple which I like. I LOVE number 1 and I have read number 6, love it. 

#15 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

I wanted to add...  If possible...  give yourself some time before folks/friends come over to visit to take it all in. 

definitely. Harder said than done, but I will have to talk to DH about his family members. It added stress to me with DS when there were people around wanting to hold him and play with him when he was not even a week old. I wanted more alone time .

#16 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

So far this is what I have on my list. 

1. Waterproof mattress pad.
  2. Garden bathtub ( considering getting a birthing tub)
  3. Embroidery thread for the cord
  4. Camera, video camera (extra batteries)
  5. Towels/blankets
  6. DH
  7. Sharp scissors
  8. Bowl for the placenta/ ice cube trays to freeze cut up placenta into
  9. Clothes for the baby
  10. Peace and quiet- no visitors.
  11. Squirt bottle for PP peeing
  12. Birth certificate to record time/date of birth
#17 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM

We used:

*Laptop for contractionmaster.com and mp3s

*Cord string (hemp IIRC) or you could get clips

*Birth Ball (and chux pad on top of it in case water breaks)

*Shower curtain + blanket on top of that. With DS2 I turned and sat... on the edge... placenta separated... blood all over white carpet in the rental. So... BE MINDFUL of where the curtain ends LOL

*My go-to rip-off-the-wall oh-crap sheets. Seen here on the mirror in the bathroom. Link to them in the UC birth resources if you want to print and put them up. (FWIW, we didn't NEED them, but the peace of mind was priceless)

*Placenta bowl.

*Sheperd's Purse and PlacentaOut (didn't need, but just in case). And Tylenol (ContractEase made my contractions weaker, resulting in more bleeding and near hemorrhaging. Shepherd's Purse was painful, so I took Tylenol. Lots of it. And whined like a baby)

*Peri bottle (aaaaah).

*A few of those pads that you bust and it turns into an ice-pack too.

*Fetoscope

*I didn't wind up with a waterbirth, but a $0.99 fish tank net is worth it just in case wink1.gif

*Crockpot and rags... THAT felt SO good!!

That's all I can think of smile.gif HTH!

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#18 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 05:54 PM

1: Peace and quiet

2: String to tie the cord off, I've never used clamps.

3: Bathtub or just wherever. I use older sheets and a mattress protector, but I think I'd be uncomfortable on a shower curtain in bed.

4: A couple changes of clothes for me (I cannot stand feeling sweaty in clothes!) and for the baby.

5: Soft towels.

6: Food and drink. Whatever I feel like.

7: Fresh air. Don't feel confined to a home or a room in the home.

8: Sterilized scissors.

9: Ice packs or a heating pad, depending largely on time of year, LOL. The major source of my post-labour pain is actually in my lower back, I have very little pain otherwise, but it's good for all kinds of pain wink1.gif

10: If you have carpet where you'll be giving birth, make sure to lay towels over it. Hardwood and tile are a lifesaver!

11: Bowl or bag or whatever for the placenta. We bury it outside in the woods, but some people... do other stuff with it, I guess

#19 of 58 Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Also, if you even think you might be doing anything on your bed... do a sheet sandwich.

1. put on a clean sheet

2. lay down a shower curtain

3. put on some older sheets

That way after the birth or afterbirth or postpartum hemorrhage (my case lol), you can just strip off the top layer and have a nice clean bed. smile.gif

ElizabethE likes this.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#20 of 58 Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganEmma View Post

OH yeah I forgot about that one, my life saver with birth #1. It was the only way I could pee PP for a month! Where do I buy one of those? Online or would walmart/target have them?

We ordered one labeled "peri bottle" from In His Hands with some other birth supplies and I kid you not it was just a plastic bottle with a squirt top that you could pick up at Wal Mart! So you really don't need anything fancy-just something that squirts.

Someone posted "puppy pads" but please do not buy the pads that are meant for potty training dogs. Those have been chemically treated and you do not want those near your bum. You can get chux pads in the same section as Depends and other incontinence products.

Our birth supplies consisted of:

*old towels

*receiving blankets

*scissors sterilized in boiling water

*embroidery floss for the cord

*chux pads (which we used like 2 of!)

*blow up fishy pool

*cheap table cloth (the kind that's plasticy on one side and soft/fuzzy on the other-we put it under/in front of the pool with the fuzzy side up so I wouldn't drip water every where when getting out of the tub)

*Depends (awesome for PP bleeding!)

Um, I think that's about it. It's really amazing at how little you actually "need" to give birth.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#21 of 58 Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM

What I had but didn't need... 

doppler

bulb syringe

cord clamp

chux pads

peri bottle

What I did need... 

birth pool

hoses

floss

scissors

bowl for placenta

towels (DH warmed them up in the dryer for when I got out of the water, which felt really good)

measuring tape for length

baby scale for weighing

baby clothes, blankets etc.

pen and paper to write down time of birth

placenta encapsulation supplies

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#22 of 58 Old 11-12-2010, 11:51 AM

Taking notes.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#23 of 58 Old 11-12-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

here is what we used. we didn't purchase anything special for the birth.

i had bathmats, and i put them down on the bed and birthed there. we used a bowl and scissors from the kitchen for the placenta and cord (cleaned, obviously, in the high heat of the dish washer, then sterilized with a bit of rubbing alcohol). and of course, towels that we had on hand.

for after, it was helpful to have herbal sitz bath, nice comfy mamacloth (mine were diaper-like and quite comfy), and plenty of food around. :)

#24 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We used:

- birth pool 

- towels (lots of towels)

- a bowl 

- cloths for compresses

- homeopathic remedies

- tea

- mesh undies

- cloth pads

this time I am also planning to have:

- a sump pump

- a helper for taking pictures and watching the kids

- more mesh undies and giant pads

- cord clamping stuff

- coconut water

- scale

- a fetoscope

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#25 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Forget mesh undies... go buy a pack of Depends!! :D

#26 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 AM

I didn't see an exercise ball in these posts...  I went in between the ball and the tub in labor.  I didn't want to buy one but DH thought it would be beneficial and it really was!  I liked the mesh undies (supplied by my MW).  I can't imagine wearing depends, lol. 

Also... lots of candles.  Our home was lit only by them. 

'09   
#27 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 AM

lurk.gif

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#28 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 10:58 AM

. And I don't plan on having any herbs for PP bleeding because I was just going to cut a piece of the placenta off and stick it in my mouth (plus BF my newborn).

I've seen a lot about eating placenta, can someone explain this better? PPH is scary, is this the main method used?

Also, please be careful with Tylenol! (I saw someone posted they took lots of it) Too much can cause liver damage and failure, it actually happens a lot. This also goes for any pain meds that include it(most people don't realize this) like Vicodin or Lortab- when it says 5/500mg or 7.5/750mg the first # is the narcotic, second is the Tylenol substitute. Just because its over the counter doesn't make it safe if you don't take the right dosage. You probably won't need any pain meds if you don't have a CS, but never hurts to know about it. (I had oxycontins (comes without the added Tylenol) and high dose Motrin for afterwards. But I had a CS, and am already on high dose pain meds redface.gif I found the Motrin super helpful!)
#29 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post

Someone posted "puppy pads" but please do not buy the pads that are meant for potty training dogs. Those have been chemically treated and you do not want those near your bum. You can get chux pads in the same section as Depends and other incontinence products.

That was me.  I'm not buying them for this, I have a whole pack laying around that I used to use for my dogs, and I no longer use them, as my dogs now go outside all of the time to eliminate.  So I figured I could use them for this.  I don't know why they'd put an irritating chemical in puppy pads, and in all honesty, the laundry detergent that is in our clothing after washing them would probably be more irritating than anything they'd put in puppy pads.

But since you brought up a good point, I have taken it upon myself to email the company asking them what chemicals are in the pads I have, and I will then research that chemical.  I'll let you know what I find, just in case anyone else is wanting to use these pads for anything.  I think you can buy puppy pads that aren't treated with any sort of chemical, too.  But not sure.

#30 of 58 Old 11-13-2010, 01:54 PM

I bled after delivering the placenta both times, even though my midwife did it all naturally.  It might have been that I was not standing to deliver the placenta, and thus had to push it out.  However, I would be prepared to know exactly when I'd want to call an ambulance.  I don't think you can keep pitocin at home.

I wouldn't mess around with blood loss.  It can screw up your milk supply in a massive way and you can't nurse and do skin-to-skin when you're in shock.  I do not think that keeping the placenta in your mouth is 100%.  You need to be prepared to know how much is too much, and when to call.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page