What was it like to catch your baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-16-2010, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If not in water how did you catch your baby and did you find it very uncomfortable to do so?

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#2 of 15 Old 11-17-2010, 01:38 AM

I was on my knees, leaning forward kinda, my husband was behind me supporting me under my armpits. I guess I was leaning forward quite a bit because I could see her crowning, and yelled at my husband to grab her... which he couldnt do or he would have dropped me, so I caught her. Right away I brought her up and and sat down leaning back against the tub. Actually catching her wasnt uncomfortable... the position I was in laboring then was the only position I wanted to be in at the time, and nothing could be called comfortable, haha. She was slippery though! I remember being afraid about that.

#3 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 AM

It was wonderful, very thrilling! I gave birth in a squatting position, on the bathroom floor. There were lots of towels and blankets so my son would have a soft landing, just in case. But I caught him into my own two hands, and it was amazing. Physically, catching my baby was not difficult. :)

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#4 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 04:18 AM

I caught or helped catch my baby both times, but only went unassisted once.  It was pretty awesome. The first time I was in a supported sit on our bed and reached down to pull the baby onto my stomach.  Slippery to say the least and wonderful! The third time (we had a stillbirth in between) I was on hands and knees in our bathroom w/ my DH behind me, he caught as the baby appeared and I reached between my legs and got her backwards to pull her to the front then squatted back onto my legs.  That part, the squatting in a slippery, gooey patch lol.gif  while holding a slippery, sudsy baby wasn't easy as I had to wait for my husband to lay a trail of towels from me to our bed! 

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#5 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM

I caught my son and it was the most amazing experience! I was in the birth tub kind of squatting and leaning forward a bit. Hubby was behind me. I felt for his head and it was crowning, then he slid out into my hands. I brought him up onto my chest. It was the most wonderful memory I have of my births:)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#6 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The first home birth I could not figure out what position to be in, I laid down on the floor and after a bit thought this is stupid, then I rolled over to get up and was hands and knees but , dh and mw were in front of me and I thought they did not realize the baby was coming so I raised up on my knees and off my hands and grabbed her.
The next birth was a UC and I could not find a place anywhere in the house to have the baby and was walking out of the bedroom into the hall and he dropped down, brought me right into a squat, pause , I said to dh get me one of the blue things, (to put on the floor under me) and another contraction , I did some perineal support -upper guarding started to tip into hands and knees, but could feel the baby fall forward and also move off the perineum , and I just didn't want that so rocked back into a squat and his full crowning, and he turned a bit , pause and then he was born.... I really could not imagine letting anyone else catch my babies after catching one... Previous to our home births we had 2 hospital births, talk about having to surrender to caios. Anyhow I try to encourage all moms to catch their own babies, for one thing you can do the most effective perineal support also no matter how wildly altered you are you can be an active participant . So what is it like like the still point in a tornado ....
#7 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwherbs View Post

. So what is it like like the still point in a tornado ....

these stories are all beautiful, this in particular moves me

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

#8 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 06:45 PM

I caught my daughter during her birth (hospital VBAC, so not UC).  It was amazing - I couldn't believe how warm and slippery and *soft* she was.  Compared to my wiry 2-year old son, who was so strong and wiggly, she was just... soft.  I was reclined and reached down to pull her out onto my chest as soon as I pushed her shoulders out.  Definitely catching her was the coolest thing ever.  It actually makes me want to have another baby, just so that I could experience that moment again. 

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

#9 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:03 PM

I was on hands and knees with my head smushed into my mattress and DH was behind me. I basically let him catch and hold a second as I threw my leg over the cord and turned around. I don't even remember doing it, but I can see it in the pics, LOL. You just do what comes natural.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#10 of 15 Old 11-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Um...  AMAZING!  *haha*  I was in our bathtub, on my knees, facing widthwise(not facing the long way).  I actually pushed my hips forward to push her head out, rather than squatting...  I remember thinking that was weird, that I ought to be squatting, but couldn't really...  After that I eased back a bit, just holding her head in my hand.  Her bubble, really...  DD was born in the caul.  It happened so quickly, I can't really remember exactly what was going through my mind as her body emerged...  I just have the picture emblazoned in my memory.  She never touched the water, due to the tininess of the tub and the length of my thighs  This tiny little human caught in this wild milky sac, like looking at her through a flesh window, my hands on her somehow...  I can't tell you how but I held her with one arm while I pulled the sac from her face, and lifted her LONG LONG cord off of her shoulders(she wore it like a feather boa, it was also in a knot!), and then looked at her in awe.  Wow, it was so cool.  I don't remember worrying about anything, or having any sense of discomfort, or feeling the least bit like I couldn't manage it by myself.  It's like instinct took over.  I held her in both my arms then, her head resting in my cupped hands, and I called DH and DS in to look at her.  From there she went to the crook of my arm to breastfeed.  It was so simple...  I couldn't imagine having anyone else catch my babies.  :) 

#11 of 15 Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the great stories!  I can't wait. 

Christian SAHM & birth doula.
#12 of 15 Old 11-26-2010, 09:02 PM

It felt amazing, liberating, exciting. I caught my daughter and was completely alone for her birth. DH came in afterward with our other daughter to meet the baby, so I birthed completely unassisted and it was one of the best moments of my life. I was on my knees on a birthing pad in the bathroom, and I basically reached down with both hands and just caught her as she came out. She did bump the birthing pad on her way out but it wasn't a hard bump and she didn't cry at all when she was born until four hours later she cried the first time she peed. It felt so good to be honest that sometimes I crave giving birth again. It is an odd sensation but a very strong one.

#13 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 AM

I always hear a lot of women say that they want to have a baby immediately after they give birth to one.  So I'm excited to have my twins, because I actually get to do that! :)

#14 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 09:57 AM

I didn't actually get to catch my second but I did push on hands and knees leaning my bottom down more toward the bed at the end in expectation of baby coming out. I felt my sons head coming out with my hands and it was so neat but sadly the experience didn't finish there as some nurses and an assistant doctor forced me onto my back for their routine delivery type thing. Stupid, but anyway, I know if they would have left me alone, I would have just let him slip out onto the nice soft bed and then probably would have scooped him up. I definitely don't think it would have been uncomfortable. I'm really looking forward to the unassisted delivery of my third. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#15 of 15 Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 PM

I birthed my son at home divinely by myself..............Female cats provide good medicine and sister support...................That birth was a VBAC and birthing my baby into my hands was beyond measure.................The only time when the universe made sense...............Many Blessings--------Follow your Hearts---- <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page