Umbilical cord tape vs clamps? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-19-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I realized that I have both cord tape and clamps from my supplies from my previous hope to UC attempt that just didn't pan out. Anyway, which is easier to use and which is better to use? Will the cord tape potentially be safer since maybe it has less risk of snagging it or something? I know clamps can possibly get snagged. 

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#2 of 4 Old 11-20-2010, 12:27 PM

IDK about tape but we used sterilized hemp string (it was thick) after whatever we ordered w/ the birth kit didn't really work out. It fell off in a few days. IIRC when we had the clamp with DS1, we were able to remove the clamp on day 2 so it didn't matter anyway.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#3 of 4 Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 PM

I don't like the plastic clamps or string.  I would suggest buying metal clamps for just in case you have to clamp unexpectedly,

http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/itempage.asp?prodid=Hesseltine+Metal+Cord+Clamps-Stainless+Steel.

and then a rubber cord ring for up close to the body. http://www.preciousarrows.com/Umbilical_Cord_Ring_p/64008.htm

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#4 of 4 Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM

I plan to use the cord bands. I used one metal clamp at one birth and another one of those plastic (awful) dogbones and shoelace at another birth. Last one was a lotus birth so nothing. I liked the shoelace best but that was 20 years ago.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page