How To Take The Newborns Temperature? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which method is best to take a newborns temperature, and how often should it be taken after birth? 

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM

I never once took his temp, but maybe that was just me. I wasn't aware of any reason to take it. I do have a temporal thermometer that i use for him and for my 4 year old.

Jade, momma to Ariana 5/23/06 and Trystan 9/28/10
Old 12-22-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I wasn't even sure if it was necessary, but I know it's routine for most hospitals and some midwives. Though, I'm sure it would be obvious if the baby wasn't warm enough?

Married to my favorite backwoodsman tiphat.gif since 2010, DS1 nut.gif in 5/11 and expecting #2 in 7/13...Crazy about homeschool.gif lactivist.gif novaxnocirc.gif familybed1.gif femalesling.GIF homebirth.jpg uc.jpg cd.gif hang.gif knit.gif sewmachine.gif

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 PM

The best way to keep a brand new baby warm is skin to skin contact.  Take off your top and just diaper baby then cover both of you with a nice cozy blanket.  Easy as pie!  If you'd like, you can have for partner put towels and blankets in the dryer while your pushing out your little one or plug in a heating pad and put it inside a pillow case with receiving blankets and towels to use after birth.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagranola28 View Post

The best way to keep a brand new baby warm is skin to skin contact.  Take off your top and just diaper baby then cover both of you with a nice cozy blanket.  Easy as pie!  If you'd like, you can have for partner put towels and blankets in the dryer while your pushing out your little one or plug in a heating pad and put it inside a pillow case with receiving blankets and towels to use after birth.

I've never thought about the dryer or heating pad before! Great ideas, and so simple. winky.gif  Thanks!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:27 AM

When my 1st was in the NICU they always took his temperature underarm.  I figure if it's good enough for Mayo Clinic, it's good enough for me.  I never did take my other kids' temperatures after birth, though.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 12-23-2010, 08:35 PM

Rectal is supposed to be the most accurate.  It doesn't seem to bother my babies.  If you do a rectal temp, remember it's always a degree higher.

I also recommend monitoring baby's temp with your own skin.  =)  It's my favorite way!

Kimberly, mom & wife - blogging.jpg about pregnancy and birth
DD 2004; 3 angel1.gif babies 2007-08; rainbow1284.gif twin DDs 2009; DD 7/12/11 hospital uhoh3.gif VBAC bouncy.gifafter 2 cesareans!

Old 12-25-2010, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I didn't take any temps with my last baby and probably only would if I thought there was a risk for infection or something.  If I was going to, I'd use the underarm.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 12-27-2010, 07:53 AM

I didn't take temps either.  If you do take temps and use the underarm, remember to add a degree.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:18 AM

7 UC's, never took my babies temp.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM

5 babies born at home- never took a temp either.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Postpartum nurse here :)  You can take your baby's temp under his/her arm.  You want it between 97.5-99.5.  We do it every 8 hours in the hospital for several reasons.  1. Increased risk for infection just by being in a hospital (which, in a newborn can be low or high).  2. Most mom's aren't interested in skin to skin and therefore we need to be sure baby is tolerating being "out".  3.  A cold baby uses calories to warm up rather than calories to grow.  If you do skin to skin you should be just fine!  Under the arm if you are curious/concerned.

User Tag List